Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Knight

Menard's Halloween 2018

Just out of curiosity I zoomed in on the label of the cardboard box on the floor that contained the #56480 "Ghost With Pumpkins" , it came from CADO products, here is a link to their 4 page online catalog for 2018, it is showing a few Christmas blowmolds also...

http://cadocompany.com/pdfs/Cado%20Holiday_Novelty%20MAR2018%20web.pdf

Saw this. Gonna hit up Menards this weekend and get one. Glad to see them still selling blow molds

On 8/16/2018 at 7:28 PM, Mikeymatic said:

Just out of curiosity I zoomed in on the label of the cardboard box on the floor that contained the #56480 "Ghost With Pumpkins" , it came from CADO products, here is a link to their 4 page online catalog for 2018, it is showing a few Christmas blowmolds also...

http://cadocompany.com/pdfs/Cado Holiday_Novelty MAR2018 web.pdf

The ghost is from the Grand Venture mold that Cado bought.  They had it in their 2017 catalog also.

Mel

For those of us who don't live in Menard country which I think is the Midwest as I have seen a store in Wisconsin, can you give us an idea of what Menard is charging for these.  It would be interesting to know the current prices versus what is being charged online for used blow molds.

I have been looking at the larger Christmas candles that are about 3 feet high similar to the one shown in the current Cado catalog.  The prices for some of them used with chips and cracks is a bit daunting.  I do see a bunch of brand new old stock blow molds on Amazon, most of which is $$$ with the exception of one seller with the GFP 40" candle C5050ac  for $40 and free shipping.  That almost beats the eBay seller with a pair with chips and cracks for $43 +$37 shipping. 

$29 for the ghost, $27 for the pumpkin. They'll go on sale twice before they are 50% off after Halloween, but by then they are usually gone. I think I posted Menard's Christmas '17 with prices last November.

The one by me has the molds, but they are last years...unless they are shipped with dust on them... same models or left overs, that didn't sell, put away, and put out this year

Edited by Big J Illinois
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

The one by me has the molds, but they are last years...unless they are shipped with dust on them... same models or left overs, that didn't sell, put away, and put out this year

I do like the Jack pumpkins

And let’s remember it’s not Don Featherstone molds, but Union Product molds. Cado bought 75% of the Union molds along with some Grand Venture molds, some TPI molds and even a few GFP molds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, RichardG said:

And let’s remember it’s not Don Featherstone molds, but Union Product molds. Cado bought 75% of the Union molds along with some Grand Venture molds, some TPI molds and even a few GFP molds.

As for the 75% of the Union molds that Cado bought. that must have been 75% of what was left over after Faster Form scrapped a large amount of the molds that they purchased from the original Union Products.  Here is some information from a post I made on PC on January 7, 2012.

From May 2010 - Cado/Union Products

A little bit of Union Products trivia from news articles.

From June 2007 - Faster Form/Union Products

"One of the perks of acquiring the original pink flamingo is the opportunity to have a nationally recognized brand,'' Waszkiewicz said in a May 31 telephone interview. He said HMC acquired 20 blow molding machines, four injection molding machines and molds for about 500 products for an undisclosed price from Dennis Plante.

``Some of the products are already in production due to outsourcing, but we expect to be in full production in the next 60 days,'' Waszkiewicz said. He said the pink flamingo, along with about 149 of the 500 products Union Products used to sell, now will be produced by HMC and sold by its sister company, Faster-Form Corp., of New Hartford, N.Y.

``We are simply narrowing the lines from 500 to a ballpark figure of 150. Because many of the items are outdated, we are taking on their best sellers,'' he said. HMC also may update some of the designs, he said.

From May 2010 - Cado/Union Products

Cado Products Inc. of Fitchburg, Mass., purchased the intellectual property rights to the pink flamingo, as well as more than 200 blow molds and injection molds that had once been used by Union Products Inc.

Now then, that looks like about 300 of the molds somehow disappeared during the time that HMC/Faster Form had them, any guesses as to what happened to them? I wonder how many of the 200 + molds that Cado purchased are holiday ones, considering that Faster Form was largely oriented towards the lawn and garden business and not the holidays. I have also been told that some of the 200 molds only had half of the mold there.

Here is the link to the original PC post.

Mel

2 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

So other the Gemmy, whom are making molds this year?

I haven't seen anything yet.  The stores are still pushing "back to school" stuff.

:) It's so nice to see some activity here in the forums! :) 

3 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hey Donna ,how is the summer been? They have those by me

It's been too darn hot and very rainy......thank goodness for air conditioning!  How has your summer been?

2 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

I hear ya!! Been busy..what's new for your display this year?

I picked up a vintage lighted happy halloween sign and merry christmas sign.  They go into a window or on a mantle.  I haven't seen any of the blow molds that are on my wish list.  I still check ebay and etsy almost every day.  That being said it does give me a good laugh seeing some of the prices.  

Did you add to your display?

Wish we had some rain, we have been stuck indoors for a couple of days and will be for at least a couple of more days due to smoke from the brush and forest fires in BC, Washington & Oregon.  They have been recommending staying indoors for the duration for those of us who have breathing problems,  I have emphysema and my wife has COPD.

Charlie E was here last Saturday and we now have approximately 70 more blow molds sitting on the porch and I can't even go out ant play with them.

Mel

7 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Wish we had some rain, we have been stuck indoors for a couple of days and will be for at least a couple of more days due to smoke from the brush and forest fires in BC, Washington & Oregon.  They have been recommending staying indoors for the duration for those of us who have breathing problems,  I have emphysema and my wife has COPD.

Charlie E was here last Saturday and we now have approximately 70 more blow molds sitting on the porch and I can't even go out ant play with them.

Mel

Mel,  That is terrible.  I can't even imagine what that must be like.  Hopefully the rain will come soon.  Eventually when you see what Charlie left for you maybe you can post some goodies for us to see.

Donna, I had planned on starting to take pictures last Sunday but looks like it will be closer to next weekend now.  Here's a little teaser of what we got.

Mel

Unknown Blinko & Skull Candle (800).jpg

16 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Donna, I had planned on starting to take pictures last Sunday but looks like it will be closer to next weekend now.  Here's a little teaser of what we got.

Mel

Unknown Blinko & Skull Candle (800).jpg

OMG.....You got the Skull Candle, I am so jealous right now!!!!

Mel,

Thanks for that link. I know when talking to the owner of Cado at the GFP auction he just said they had 75% and he knew a lot had been scrapped. Including the Union nutcracker. As he was interested in GFs.

My order from Christmas Light Creation guy came in. I wanted the unpainted grand venture items and a few other union things. I also wanted a set of Halloween candles. The way the candle was built was unusual to me. The bulb fit into the flame part and then the flame fit into the candle. I got two grand venture snowmen so my wife and I could paint a snowwoman and a snowman.  The only down side was the paint job on the items from Cado was light on the paint and you can see the stencil marks on the north pole sign. Most of the Cado stuff I got was not painted it was either black , orange, or red solid plastic. I think I might spray every thing with a clear-coat for UV protection.  I know the guy from Christmas light creations has a least a few other grand venture aluminum molds.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

union north pole sign.JPG

Grand Venture Snowman.jpeg

12 hours ago, RichardG said:

Mel,

Thanks for that link. I know when talking to the owner of Cado at the GFP auction he just said they had 75% and he knew a lot had been scrapped. Including the Union nutcracker. As he was interested in GFs.

Richard,

The information on Cado was in an article on plasticnews.com that I could not download as I am not a subscriber there.  Here is the article that I was able to copy and paste to MS Word.

Mel

Flamingos migrating back to Fitchburg

By Frank Antosiewicz

Published May 3, 2010

Production of the original Don Featherstone plastic pink flamingo is coming back to roost in central Massachusetts.

“They’re back and I’m tickled pink by it,” Featherstone said in a recent telephone interview.

Cado Products Inc. of Fitchburg, Mass., purchased the intellectual property rights to the pink flamingo, as well as more than 200 blow molds and injection molds that had once been used by Union Products Inc.

Cado is forming its own Union Products Division, and will roll out the new product line at the National Hardware Show, set for May 4-6 in Las Vegas.

“It is a tremendous opportunity for us. It is a perfect fit for our company,” said Bruce Zarozny, president and co-owner of Cado.

He said Cado had produced the flamingo for the last owner of the line — HMC International LLC of Rome, N.Y. — before it moved production to New York.

The pink flamingo was once made by Union Products in Leominster, Mass., which borders Fitchburg. It started production in 1957 after the company hired designer Featherstone, who is from Fitchburg. The bird was injected molded at first, but later was made by blow molding.

Union Products folded in 2006 and the intellectual property and molds for the product were sold to HMC in May 2007.

The flamingos then were marketed by Faster-Form Corp. Later that year, Faster-Form officials said they were shocked when the firm’s owner, John Waszkiewicz III, died unexpectedly.

Cado Products, owned by Zarozny and Vice President Claude Chapdelaine, pursued the Union Products line and reached an agreement with HMC and Faster-Form early this year. Cado is selling the inventory and is still moving some of the equipment from New York to Fitchburg.

The Union Products line will include the signature flamingo and water cans and bird baths.

Zarozny said his company has been around for 50 years and serves diverse markets, from sporting goods to chemical and military. The firm already has some retail accounts, and Cado plans to promote the line. It has arrangements with Aubuchon Hardware and Ace Hardware, as well as some distributors.

The company has also lined up the Featherstones — husband and wife Don and Nancy — to help with marketing.

Cado Products operates out of two buildings totaling about 85,000 square feet and may add space, Zarozny said. The firm has already added five employees, bringing its current total to 30.

There’s still plenty of work to do to rebuild the Union Products line, but “it just makes sense for us to bring it into the fold,” he said.

Copyright 2010 Crain Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.