Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Knight

Menard's Halloween 2018

My order from Christmas Light Creation guy came in. I wanted the unpainted grand venture items and a few other union things. I also wanted a set of Halloween candles. The way the candle was built was unusual to me. The bulb fit into the flame part and then the flame fit into the candle. I got two grand venture snowmen so my wife and I could paint a snowwoman and a snowman.  The only down side was the paint job on the items from Cado was light on the paint and you can see the stencil marks on the north pole sign. Most of the Cado stuff I got was not painted it was either black , orange, or red solid plastic. I think I might spray every thing with a clear-coat for UV protection.  I know the guy from Christmas light creations has a least a few other grand venture aluminum molds.
image1.jpeg.a15a62ba51ac7d4065e756642392a1a5.jpeg
image2.jpeg.43ccb1fc2a6183a322156d833d8e6b04.jpeg
1499436926_unionnorthpolesign.JPG.6e7f6b63ce18142bd58e5325d9376f2a.JPG
1429441367_GrandVentureSnowman.jpeg.e3d8802df7d6b6ac2839a38b4a0a9007.jpeg

Scott,
That’s how Union did their candles. Kind of a pain though when you have to pop the flame out to get to the bulb. How some of the older molds have cracks around the flame and candle stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richard,
The information on Cado was in an article on plasticnews.com that I could not download as I am not a subscriber there.  Here is the article that I was able to copy and paste to MS Word.
Mel

Flamingos migrating back to Fitchburg

By Frank Antosiewicz

Published May 3, 2010

Production of the original Don Featherstone plastic pink flamingo is coming back to roost in central Massachusetts.

“They’re back and I’m tickled pink by it,” Featherstone said in a recent telephone interview.

Cado Products Inc. of Fitchburg, Mass., purchased the intellectual property rights to the pink flamingo, as well as more than 200 blow molds and injection molds that had once been used by Union Products Inc.

Cado is forming its own Union Products Division, and will roll out the new product line at the National Hardware Show, set for May 4-6 in Las Vegas.

“It is a tremendous opportunity for us. It is a perfect fit for our company,” said Bruce Zarozny, president and co-owner of Cado.

He said Cado had produced the flamingo for the last owner of the line — HMC International LLC of Rome, N.Y. — before it moved production to New York.

The pink flamingo was once made by Union Products in Leominster, Mass., which borders Fitchburg. It started production in 1957 after the company hired designer Featherstone, who is from Fitchburg. The bird was injected molded at first, but later was made by blow molding.

Union Products folded in 2006 and the intellectual property and molds for the product were sold to HMC in May 2007.

The flamingos then were marketed by Faster-Form Corp. Later that year, Faster-Form officials said they were shocked when the firm’s owner, John Waszkiewicz III, died unexpectedly.

Cado Products, owned by Zarozny and Vice President Claude Chapdelaine, pursued the Union Products line and reached an agreement with HMC and Faster-Form early this year. Cado is selling the inventory and is still moving some of the equipment from New York to Fitchburg.

The Union Products line will include the signature flamingo and water cans and bird baths.

Zarozny said his company has been around for 50 years and serves diverse markets, from sporting goods to chemical and military. The firm already has some retail accounts, and Cado plans to promote the line. It has arrangements with Aubuchon Hardware and Ace Hardware, as well as some distributors.

The company has also lined up the Featherstones — husband and wife Don and Nancy — to help with marketing.

Cado Products operates out of two buildings totaling about 85,000 square feet and may add space, Zarozny said. The firm has already added five employees, bringing its current total to 30.

There’s still plenty of work to do to rebuild the Union Products line, but “it just makes sense for us to bring it into the fold,” he said.

Copyright 2010 Crain Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Mel,

Thank you for that. Could you send that to me in an email?

As for Cado, Claude was who I met at the GF auction. He gave me some of the inside information about Cado and what they purchased from GF and the info about the Union molds. Nice man.

20180821_202934.thumb.jpg.6e8312ff3c3e98d88566b4c7b4b65244.jpg
20180821_202943.thumb.jpg.8361155c0c1c987c0090ca9771a983e1.jpg
20180821_202950.thumb.jpg.c5dfb4f97dd2b8e1bdf56f6ea4a07c79.jpg

Scott,
Looks like New Old Stock. Get em while you can. Extremely rare. JK JK

Picked mine up this morning, last one at our Menards store. No the first pic isn't a dent, just a crappy pic lol
20180823_074050.thumb.jpg.372cf67464609374471b0f3e96bbe6a7.jpg
20180823_082909.thumb.jpg.79059686e93cfb03d90254074c9c8131.jpg

Sweet buy! I hope to get one. I’m holding off to see if they show up locally before I order from online.

1 hour ago, RichardG said:

Mel,

Thank you for that. Could you send that to me in an email?

Done.

Claude Chapdelaine.jpg

Done.
2069779135_ClaudeChapdelaine.jpg.e2462869ec6872ac4c9c0bc6235b86ae.jpg

Yup, that’s Claude. He was a very nice guy.

These blow molds came in some time this week at Kroger ( Atlanta GA) the tallest one is 2ft. They are all made in China with the cheap (flexible) plastic like the blow mold Lowe’s had last year. Also they are all LED kind. I do like the cat and pumpkin it’s like a small version of TPI cat and pumpkin. Also I found funny was these are labeled for indoor use only!

2E18CA9D-F5C2-429C-A1DD-F85F3227CB9F.jpeg

FE5BE2E0-26AD-4189-BF79-33059DB572E8.jpeg

27805584-736B-4618-BA5B-50FAF1C52530.jpeg

8A40AD52-5A8D-4726-A177-B9154DF823CF.jpeg

I plan to make a trip to Georgia from Florida to go to a Kroger to buy the new ones. Like a lot of others open to pop the battery light out and add either a C7 or larger one.

i like the look of the ghost dog.... i wonder how it looks lit... any got any pics... do they hold up

looks like they are imported by kroeger private label subsidiary...

We don't have any of those stores in the Tulsa area.  Anyone have an idea of a possible chain affiliation around these parts that might have these for sale, or has anyone from Oklahoma seen these for sale around here?

I will have to look at the Kroger stores (Smith's brand) in my area as there are two within 3 miles in each direction but I have never seen a selection of merchandise like that before.  As far as Tulsa goes,  you are pretty much out of luck.  Kroger has a subsidiary (Dillions) in Hutchinson KS.  When someone asked the same question you did, but a decade ago, the answer was, "Try Dillion's Groceries - they are owned by Kroger in the Tulsa area. Closest location to Tulsa is the 319 EAST BUCHANNAN, in PRAIRIE GROVE, AR 72753. "  Maybe they have opened one of these stores closer to you by now than this one which is 2 hours away. 

Edited by Rich in Las Vegas

When you hold down the test button they have a color changing LED in the base that goes from white/pink/blue or purple. It is very hard to see it lit up at the store. You could put a C7 in the base and that would light it up. 

I found someone on eBay that had the Kroger blow mold for sale with pictures of it on. 

3AB76018-4935-44EB-BA70-806BE9E41D49.png

We bought our ghost cat at Fred Meyers last year, they were $19.99 regular price and we got it at 20% off for &15.99.  We got the ghost dog from Charlie Enos last year also.  Fred Meyers carried both the ghost dog and ghost cat last year.

Mel

Lowe’s has there Halloween stuff out all blow molds are made in China. 
6713C3A5-DB43-41CC-AE3B-028B6E44EB56.thumb.jpeg.0ab1d0ffe3ead72e99848da4e2e8a6ee.jpeg
D8AD2E83-3660-4C39-8EDA-CE92BFD9DD49.thumb.jpeg.f086802808ba508f1001d6499bfd6ddf.jpeg

Yup. Their stuff comes from Gemmy. I will say I am not a fan of their Halloween molds, but am always eager to see Christmas.

I checked out the local Smith's Foods, a subsidiary of Kroger, this morning and all they had was many ceramic Halloween items but no blow molds.  The candy was in boxes stacked many high in the aisle where the holiday items will be so maybe they haven't completed putting things out. 

On 8/18/2018 at 1:10 PM, Knight said:

$29 for the ghost, $27 for the pumpkin. They'll go on sale twice before they are 50% off after Halloween, but by then they are usually gone. I think I posted Menard's Christmas '17 with prices last November.

When do those sales usually occur?  It looks like you can get a deal now if you buy them online and pickup in the store.

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1515396728417.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1515396728352.htm

They also show these (former?) Gen Foam items:

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444431257340.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1452210118690.htm

I believe this is one that Gen Foam added in the last year or two:

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1451392163741.htm

The first two are listed with the "indoor" Halloween while the others are listed with the "outdoor" Halloween so don't rely on the categories when you are searching.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Rich in Las Vegas said:

I checked out the local Smith's Foods, a subsidiary of Kroger, this morning and all they had was many ceramic Halloween items but no blow molds.

Your post reminded me that Kroger has some of those made in China type 'molds.  The cat in a ghost costume (from last year) and dog in a ghost costume (from two years ago) are back.  New this year is a dog in a witch costume and a cat in a pumpkin.

Edit:  I posted this reply before I saw that several of you had already posted about the Kroger items.  They will have these on sale before long.  If they follow the same pattern as the last 2 years they will have a 50% off digital coupon at some point before Halloween that is only good for a Saturday and Sunday.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:25 PM, Big J Illinois said:

Our menards has the General Foam ones only

You can order the others on their website and get free shipping to your local store.  :D

On 9/1/2018 at 7:18 PM, Scott Rob said:

Halloween city has union Calderon and party city has same ones.

The Party City here had some two or three years back but they were outrageously priced.  I went back to look for them on clearance but waited too long and they had put up all the Halloween stuff.  (Hmph!)  I"m sure they didn't sell them all because they had dozens of them right before Halloween.

TED

Edited by TED
to find stuff.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, slankard said:

We don't have any of those stores in the Tulsa area.  Anyone have an idea of a possible chain affiliation around these parts that might have these for sale, or has anyone from Oklahoma seen these for sale around here?

There are Kroger stores all over AR.  You might be able to find one close to the border that was within range of a short road trip.  It looks like Fayetteville and Fort Smith are both about 2 hours from you.

TED

Edited by TED
to find Kroger.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:41 AM, Scott Rob said:

My order from Christmas Light Creation guy came in. I wanted the unpainted grand venture items and a few other union things. I also wanted a set of Halloween candles. The way the candle was built was unusual to me. The bulb fit into the flame part and then the flame fit into the candle. I got two grand venture snowmen so my wife and I could paint a snowwoman and a snowman.  The only down side was the paint job on the items from Cado was light on the paint and you can see the stencil marks on the north pole sign. Most of the Cado stuff I got was not painted it was either black , orange, or red solid plastic. I think I might spray every thing with a clear-coat for UV protection.  I know the guy from Christmas light creations has a least a few other grand venture aluminum molds.

Those Halloween candles look pretty cool!  Both Union and TPI candles are made like that where the bulb clips into the flame.  I think spraying with clear is a good idea.  Krylon makes a UV resistant clear.  I've seen it at Michael's in the past.  It was expensive but Michael's has the weekly coupons for 40% off any one item.  Hobby Lobby might be a possibility and they also have the weekly 40% off coupons.

TED