Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Rich in Las Vegas

Wireless remote control for Christmas lights

I came across 433mhz wireless remote controls by accident while figuring out how to rewire some two way switches in my home so they would work with the new smart wireless remote touch panel switches. You wave your hand across the switch plate and it turns the lights on and off.  The newer of these are wi-fi enabled and compatible with smart phone apps.  The wireless receivers and fob type transmitters would be an easy and cheap way for remote control of outside Christmas lights.  You would have to protect them from moisture but that shouldn't be difficult.  They are  amazingly small and very inexpensive from overseas vendors. 

The wireless receivers come in two versions - 12V DC and 85-220VAC.  They can be programmed to work with as many as 10 transmitters and can support as many as four different lighting circuits.  The ones I show are for one and two circuits.  The programing is so simple that even an old guy can do it in a couple of minutes.  No teenagers needed.  The receivers cost $2 to $3 each for the bare unit and $4 to $5 for ones that come in a case.  The range is up to 300 feet in open space.  The fob type 4 button transmitter was $3.60. 

wireless_remote_receiver_110_V_AC.jpgWireless remote receiver 110VAC 2 channel 

Wireless remote receiver with box and fob 12V DC

433_mhz_receiver_12_V_-_box-_and_fob.jpg

I like working with 12V DC and have converted most of my decorations to 12V LED.    More on those conversions when I get time to put something together. 

The relays are the same on all three of the models I bought - 10 amps for all of the ratings which are for 250VAC, 125VAC, and 30VDC.  I even spotted one that has eight relays on the same board for someone with a complex setup.  You program each relay separately though you can activate all at one time with a single control button. 

The nice thing about LED illumination is that it draws about 1/16 the current incandescent lights do if my LED light strings are any indication.  When I looked at the 4.8W rating on my 25 foot strings versus 70W on the incandescent strings I was sold on LEDs.  If you needed to run much higher currents  it would be easy to use these to control a larger relay.

The company who makes them is qiachip.  http://qiachip.com/  It turns out that one of the eBay sellers I purchased them from was this site.  Some of the eBay sellers beat the manufacturer on price and have a greater variety to offer.