Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

I'm looking for ways on how to train dogs,  until I saw these dog training collars which is primarily used to correct bad habits such as barking, digging, and chewing, a training collar can transform a misbehave dog into a well obedient dog. What do you think? Are these actually effective or is it just some sort of industry push to sell products? Any suggestion will be helpful to me.

I think you will find many many pet owners among the Christmas crowd.  I live with both dogs and cats.  The collars can be effective but you really need to make sure you educate yourself on how to use them properly.  I don't know anything about using them however I do know that a bark collar can work very well.  The one I'm familiar with will give a warning beep first.  Dogs figure that out quickly and stop barking before they get shocked.

One of the dogs here does not care much about treats.  I had never seen this with a dog before.  It can be difficult when you can't "bribe" them with treats!  She would go outside and then not want to come in.  It was a big inconvenience when you need to go somewhere.  I think for most people the normal procedure is to send dogs outside before leaving.   With her it could mean being delayed by half an hour or more if she didn't want to come in.  Thankfully she is a lot better now that she's not a puppy.  The weirdest thing is that after dark you can get her to come in by simply shining a flashlight out in the yard.  She might be running around and ignoring the calling of her name but if you go get a flashlight and shine it out back she'll come right in without even being called.

The collars at the link you posted seem REALLY expensive.  I think you can find good ones much cheaper on amazon.

TED

I love pets!! We have a 8 month old Daniff. We crate her during the day. Bought a Farm and Fleet crate...not good..she houdinied her way out see pic.. anyways bought a better cage..weighs 102lbs...have to put it together yet. We want to get a E Collar...so that's the next step. Her dad was the dane and mom was the English mastiff. I would get another one in a heartbeat. The love and affection dogs have!!!! They dont judge you, only love you:) She at 7 months was 81 lbs. Her dad was 190!! The price to pay for a E Collar is cheap...in comparison to 5 My Pillows she chewed lolol

Abby.jpg

20180903_082235.jpg

• Like 1

Big J,   OMG!

Here's a pic of our little guy, a working cocker spaniel.  He looks so sweet sleeping in front of the fire on a cold day, especially when the room is decorated for Christmas.  We also have a cat. She is 16 years old and they get along great.

We have to use a Gentle Leader on the dog because even at only 27 lbs he can still knock me off balance when he takes off after a chipmunk or whatever.  The Gentle Leader was a life saver for us.  He stopped pulling immediately.  

image.jpeg

Edited by donna123
  • Like 1