Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
slankard

Question about Dapol Santa

I bought a Santa in a shop last week and couldn't find a mark anywhere.  According to Blow-molded, he would be a Dapol, but did Dapol not mark there products?  I'm wondering if some other company picked up the mold later.  Wish I could take a picture and post it, but until my son can take the time to do it for me, I'm out of luck (don't judge me, a lot of you old farts out there are in the same boat!).

Dapol did mark most of therir blow molds but we have a Dapol Santa that is not  marked and it might be the one you found on Blow-Molded.

Mel

Dapol Santa (Front) (#3200) (800).jpg

no, it's one of the one's towards the end of the page.  The paint is flaking quite a bit, but the plastic itself just doesn't seem as old as one from the 70's.  I'll try to get the kid to post it for me.

Okay, finally got my son to download of a picture of the Santa I bought.  Would you say he is a Dapol Santa?  I couldn't find any mark of identification on him.

20180701_121021.jpg

7 hours ago, 55cgas said:

Yes, that is Dapol.

Do you have confirmation that it is Dapol?  The only information I have seen or heard on this Santa is others saying it is Dapol, but no printed documentation.  Do you have any pictures of the original box, instruction sheet, etc with the Dapol name on them that came with the Santa ?  Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

Mel

That's what's bugging me.  All I have is the blow mold, and I can't find any markings.  Did any other company use this blow mold in later years?  Is there a specific place I should be looking on the blow mold to find the Dapol logo?  I know the cord that came with him is non-polarized (I think that's what it's called), which would lead me to believe it's from the '70's.

What does the lighting setup look like, does it go in the back of the Santa or up from the bottom?  How does it fasten to the Santa?

Mel

It has a big hole in the bottom, but not the metal plate, which I think tended to be more of a 1960's thing.  It also has an inch round hole on the back side,  just a couple of inches from the bottom.  The light with the old cord wasn't attached to anything; it was just threaded through the hole in the back.

• Like 1

Without seeing a picture of the large hole and the socket end of the light cord I can't say for sure but it does sound like it could have had a lighting setup similar to the original Beco Santa's, choir kids and angels.  Dapol did make at least one Santa with that kind of setup but theirs has a plastic tube to hold the light instead of the metal that Beco used.  We have one of those Santas, it has no identifying marks on it but I have pictures of the original box with a Santa to confirm that it is made by Dapol.

Mel

Dapol Santa (Front) (#3200) (800) (Text).jpg

Dapol Santa (Back) (#3200) (800) (Text).jpg

27c4_3.jpg

252f_3 (2000).jpg

Thanks Mel.  The odd part is that there are no screw holes in the larger bottom hole of the Santa, so I don't know how they ever secured the light to begin with.