Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Andy Anderson

Announcing the 11th Annual Virginia Mini on May 19,

The 11th Annual Virginia Mini will be held on Saturday, May 19.  Matthew Satterwhite has graciously offered to host the mini again this year.  The location will be HanoverAcademy located at

115 Frances Road
in Ashland, VA23005.   HanoverAcademy is just off I95 in Ashland which is on the north side of Richmond. 

The minis are an excellent opportunity to meet with other Christmas lighting enthusiasts to share ideas, design plans, implementation, sequencing or just to meet other with the same goals in Christmas lighting displays.

We want to allow time for everyone attending to introduce themselves and tell us about their favorite display element. We want to give you a heads up so you can prepare to either bring the element or take pictures or videos of it and describe the details of how you built it and how it works.  This could take some time, but we'll all learn so much more!  Anything from your display that you would like to share with the group.  Talk about why it is special to you, or why you made it, how you made it or anything you want to share about it.  There is always a story to tell. 

We will provide drinks.  Like last year we are asking everyone to bring some food to share with the group for lunch.  Cost will be $5 per person to pay for use of the building.

We will start with a meet and greet about 11:00 AM, with lunch at noon.  Then start the mini at 1:00 PM and be over by 4:00 PM

Matthew & I look forward to seeing everyone.

• Like 1

See  you May  19th with cup cakes,  brownies and  potato  salad.    William you are more than welcome to bring your wife and stay with me if you wish. I live 45 minutes from Ashland.

• Like 1

I am going to try and make it again this year. Couldn't think of a better way to spend a Saturday in May!

• Like 2

Hey Everyone, the "Yankee" from MD will be there again this year! LOL :D

I'll meet up with Paul again and I'll have my famous BBQ meatballs too.

See you all on the 19th.

Al

On 4/27/2018 at 8:19 PM, Shawn M. said:

Not sure I am going to make it this year.  

Upgraded to small to fair chance I will be able to go, won't know for sure until Thursday or Friday.

• Like 2

Hi Andy and crew,

Unfortunately it turns out I won't be able to make it this year. I have some church obligations this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday so I need to be there. Sorry my meatballs won't be part of the awesome pot luck lunch we have every year but I'll be sure to be there next year. I already told Paul I can't make it. Hope everyone has a great time.

Take care,

Al 

• Like 1

Al, Sorry to hear you will be there this year.

Shawn, Hopefully you will make it this year, otherwise will see you next year.

The mini is almost here.

Have a great time and post some pictures!!

• Like 1

Despite all the rain the Virginia Mini is still on for tomorrow.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.  Drive safe.

We had an excellent mini yesterday.  Thank you to our sponsors Light O Rama, Creative Displays, Christmas Done Bright, Christmas Light Emporium and Paul Glancy.

IMG_5584 02.jpg

IMG_5594 02.jpg

IMG_5597 02.jpg

IMG_5599 02.jpg

IMG_5601 02.jpg

IMG_5603 02.jpg

IMG_5604 02.jpg

IMG_5590 02.jpg

IMG_5592 02.jpg

IMG_5588 02.jpg

• Like 1

The food was great as always and thank you Andy and Matt for hosting this  Va.  mini  once again. See everyone next year.

• Like 2

Hey Everyone, sorry I missed it but it looks like you guys had a good time. I will make sure to be there next year and hope to have some good pictures and video of our display.

Al

• Like 2