Did you know?
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Hello all!  I am starting my display over in a new location.  At my previous house I had 128 LOR channels with close to 50k lights.  When I sold the house, the new homeowner wanted my complete system so I sold it to him - EVERYTHING!

So now I am in a new home and in a new state and looking to start over.  i am looking to dive into the world of smart pixels and DMX.  I have 1 16ch LOR controller. 

So now you know my life story here is my question:

What is the best way to go with smart pixels?  Where do you recommend purchasing them from?  What controller will I need?  How will I power them and how much power will I need to have?  How do you mount these?  Do I stay with LOR software?  

As you see I have a lot of questions and I know I still have many more to ask.  So please help with any and all information that you may have.  It is greatly appreciated.  I have also included a picture of the front of my current house.  Some old nasty videos can be found here - "https://vimeo.com/3099146"

Thanks in advance for any and all help.  I received a lot of help from here in the past and I know I will get the same.  

Outside.jpg.a61e1e2dca083b0492c7b2a818c0be38.jpg

I know that in general the Falcon controllers are considered to be the ultimate controller. The word is that LOR sells good quality pixels, but at a premium price. And many buy directly from China through AliExpress.com

I was asking the same questions you had a few months ago. The Aus lights forum and xlights pages have tons of information. I ended up deciding to stick with traditional lights for now due to the higher cost of pixels.

I also have had that same thought, but the thought of starting all over again with incandescent lights to switch them out later just isn't sitting good currently.  I also feel the same with LOR - great items but a premium price.  I will check out xlights page and see where we go.

If anyone else has anything on this, please let me know.  

From your video, I have the impression you might enjoy building props. you went farther with the mega tree, the star yup on the roof was great, the mini trees at the various angles, the globes out front. very nice. your new house looks very nice for displaying elements.
here is my thought... you should go pixels and start by building something to hang on the walls (I saw snowflakes whenI looked at your house but angels, stars, bells, holly, mini trees, wreaths all would work great) . use standard ws2811 pixels so that they work with any 2811 pixel controller. as to sequencing software, i understand lor has a new version that includes a version of xlights integrated or use xlights for free.
after you get your feet on the ground, do a house outline next year. after that add some yard art (a dozen wire frames would look great) and finish up year four with window and door outlines and wall washers.

Mike - Thanks for the info.  Yes we did have fun building a lot of things ourselves.  We jumped into the deep end with both feet.  Went from 0 to 128 channels and completed everything in 9 months.  

I am not expecting this this time as the learning curve into smart pixels.  But looking forward to getting started.  We definitely want another star, snowflakes, north poles, wreaths and mini trees.  I have 5 tomato cages that I will be adding and have some cool ideas for them and hope they all work out.  

So to get started - where should I start?  Where should I purchase my smart pixels from along with the controller.  

We can help you out with pixels. We also have a pre build controller set up we offer that uses a Falcon board for its brain. https://www.holiday-light-express.com/RGB.php

This video may also be helpful. It does a real basic walk through on how to set up a RGB display. We have a handful of other RGB videos as well, this one just gets you going.