Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
NYYankeeDodge

Wall Plugs For Fiber Optic Houses

Good Evening All:

I am on a hunt to find electrical wall plugs for three fiber optic houses that are very very precious to my wonderful wife. I called (e-mailed ) Puleo(the manufacturer of the items and she told me they no longer make these plugs no more. I am trying desperately for these. So anyone please chime in with suggestions. I did notice from the pics of the bottom of them that it says adapter and some other stuff, but it doesn't give an mh number. Can anyone tell me what we would need. Many many thanks, Don. 

20180328_195504.jpg

20180328_194744.jpg

20180328_195922.jpg

20180328_195804.jpg

20180328_195254.jpg

20180328_195615.jpg

I picked up adapters from the Goodwill for cheap that fit some of things I had. Made sure it was the right amps and the end fit into what I was using it for.

Tom

I replied to this post via PM but will clarify things for the rest of you.  Some displays with fiber optics have three colored LEDs to light the fiber optics and a small controller to produce a pattern of light.  Most of them use a 12V DC adapter.  Many older displays use a color wheel and a MR11 halogen light.  The date codes on these displays shown above are 8 or more years old so I suspect they have a 12V AC motor and color wheel.  You must use a 12V AC adapter, 1200 mA or larger.   The new MR11 12V LEDs will work on a 12V DC adapter but that would probably burn up the AC motor.

I know from having hunted for several weeks at my local outlet that 12V DC adapters are very common but the AC variety is very hard to find.  I bought a fiber optic tree recently and left the 12V AC adapter at the store.  When I got it home I found out that it did have the color wheel with a 12V AC motor.  I replaced the MR11 light with an LED light that works on AC or DC but was still lacking a converter.   I checked online and simply couldn't find an AC adapter.  Luckily I came across another tree today with a color wheel in the base and scavenged the 12V AC adapter for my tree.  

In February of 2016 the US Department of Energy began what is known as Level VI energy efficiency standards for wall transformers.  This outlawed any iron core AC wall transformer from being made or sold in the US because of the amount of power they draw with no load connected to them.  The 2 to 3 watts they use just plugged in the wall was way over the new "no load" mandate power draw and physics prevents this from being reached.  You could always feel they were warm to the touch when plugged in.  DC adapters sold today are switching power supplies - and they can get their no-load power consumption below the maximum level VI mandates.  So if you have any AC transformers hang onto them - you can always change the plug on the low voltage side.