Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Empire Fanatic

General Foam Auction Tarboro

7 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

So does this make current molds out there from years past, more in demand then?Higher theft rate if they where displayed?

I think certain ones will always be in demand depending on their age and what shape they are in.  The question about theft is something I think about.  I guess it depends on your neighborhood, but I always secure mine and have them close to the house.  I just told my sister the same thing because she has a Santa's Best Mickey Mouse that she puts outside every year.  Recently the amounts that people are paying for Santa's Best Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are crazy high.  I recommended she keep it away from the street and closer to the house.  

Blow mold prices have always been crazy. And have recently been going up even more on eBay. Sadly the prices will go up. But the market is still flooded with them. Specially after GFs warehouse sales.

As for SB molds, licensed molds will always be a target. My Mickey and Minnie were stolen last year. And they had to walk into the yard as they were in the middle. Didn’t take nothing else. Didn’t break anything. Just unplugged mickey and Minnie and left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sad that people steal our molds. They are hard to find anymore, as the junkies have snagged them up and have them listed for a mint.Makes me nt want, to display them this year,as I fear that, you know what's ,will take them,just to take them.

• Like 1

Last year my husband got me two cameras for the front yard so we could watch and record in case something happened. There’s another person in town who  has a big display and he got some lollipops stolen and the police didn’t do much.   Thankfully I only had some mittens stolen on my snowman but was able to get them back from a little girl that took them thanks to the cameras. No blowmolds were taken   

A few years ago I had put out blow up Halloween Haunted house and state puff marshmallow man out and about half of my blow molds. We had two cameras up. About mid October three guys in a white paneled Van back into our drive way wearing all white at 1pm and stole every thing out of the yard in 10 minutes.  When I got home at 6pm I could not believe it. We had just moved into our new house 3 months before. The police said I was the 14 call they had in the past few days of a crew steeling Halloween blow ups and blow molds. Now when I put out the display I do it one blow mold at a time and have large tow cables running in the back of every thing. These guys even stole our real pumpkins by the front door!

• Sad 1

Holy crap Scot,
Theft was always my worry and I dreamed that someone stole my whole display, but to actually have it happen. I’m sorry to hear.

Sadly we have cameras, just so happens they were able to get into the yard via a side not covered by a camera. So that’s going to change this year. I’ve also been on the fence about decorating.

I tried to get a positive light out of the loss of 1/2 of the halloween display. It was a good time to think about improving a display and adding new blow molds for halloween. It was also a good time to start figuring out how to secure my christmas display which means more to me. That was the main driver for the following year to go to Norlfolk plant in October to get a new halloween display. I do miss all the blow molds that were stolen but it got me out of blow ups which I was not a big fan of. The two blow ups I had used 175watts each to run the blowers and were so large it was hard to keep them up when the wind would pick up. One was 20ft the other was 15ft tall and they did not look good as a pile of fabric when deflated. It also motivated me to change out most of my blow molds to LED bulbs (thanks to lowes back Friday deal LED bulbs for $1). 

Well whoever bought the rest of the molds, hopefully next year we will see someone pick them up. It will be interesting to see what Gemmy does this year for the Lowers stores....I have the candles and soldiers from last year..

Let's hope the crappy glitter isn't back this year on the Gemmys...looked great, just don't hold up to an outdoor ,Northern Illinois winter

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Merrymobile Guy said:

Mel: I did actually set that one aside. For now...........

What was the outcome for MerryMobile Guy? Was he successful in buying any molds at the auction? I don't recollect seeing the outcome of this.

What was the outcome for MerryMobile Guy? Was he successful in buying any molds at the auction? I don't recollect seeing the outcome of this.

I’m being told by a reliable source he did in fact get some. Which ones, I don’t know.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, RichardG said:

I’m being told by a reliable source he did in fact get some. Which ones, I don’t know.

If thats the case, then im sure he was very happy.

So, does anyone know, or was there a published list of the prices of the aluminum molds?  Is a smaller mold 300$ and a larger mold 600$ ? Or what  What was the price range?

On 8/2/2018 at 11:48 AM, Big J Illinois said:

Let's hope the crappy glitter isn't back this year on the Gemmys...looked great, just don't hold up to an outdoor ,Northern Illinois winter

It would be nice if they would get reasonable on the prices.  I just can't see $40 for one candle...

On 9/10/2018 at 12:21 PM, Scrooge said:

If thats the case, then im sure he was very happy.

So, does anyone know, or was there a published list of the prices of the aluminum molds?  Is a smaller mold 300$ and a larger mold 600$ ? Or what  What was the price range?

The sad thing is that they were probably only worth a fraction of that in scrap.  I don't know the price of aluminum scrap but steel is about $5 for 100 pounds.  Even if Aluminum was $50 for 100 pounds that would mean that a large mold might only be worth $50.  I just don't understand scrappers.  He (the scrapper) could have just said here take them all for double the scrap price and it would have been a good deal for everyone.  <heavy sigh>

TED

Edited by TED
to morn the loss of many great molds...