Jump to content
Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Empire Fanatic

General Foam Auction Tarboro

Recommended Posts

Thanks Mel
Btw, do you happen to know who made the Skull Candle blow mold in the above photo?

That’s what we are trying to figure out. It’s a mystery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richard, YES, that is the one, now we know both molds still exist and hopefully they will continue to exist.  I have been doing more research on that one tonight and unexpectedly I found two newspaper ads from 1975 with that one in them. I guess it is just a matter of putting the right words together to have success in searching.  I have spent many years trying to find out when these were made and finally found out one year for each of the two.

A cute mold for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donna, At this time I do not have any information on the Skull Candle blow mold other then Richway in Atlanta GA sold it in 1975 for $1.99.  They also sold the "Owl coming out of pumpkin" for the same price.

Mel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RichardG said:


That’s what we are trying to figure out. It’s a mystery.

I always watch for this skull candle and I have only seen it on ebay 1 time.  

10 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Donna, At this time I do not have any information on the Skull Candle blow mold other then Richway in Atlanta GA sold it in 1975 for $1.99.  They also sold the "Owl coming out of pumpkin" for the same price.

Mel

Thanks Mel.......It's been years since I last saw this skull on ebay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago the skull with candle used to show up occassionally on eBay but I have not seen it available anywhere for a few years now.  It would be nice to know what the maker called it, that might make it possible to find more information on it.  Richway only called it a skull.

Mel

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 11:29 AM, Merrymobile Guy said:

Just to let everyone know, I'm the guy who is trying to buy several of the specific molds. I have been silent for a while on this subject. I was at the Tarboro auction and have since made 4 trips back to mark the molds I was interested in. The buyer has now moved them all to his warehouse and I will be meeting with them this Friday to see if we can agree on price on the ones I had wanted to preserve. I am not in the mold business but a long time collector. I can't stand by and watch all of them get destroyed but I have no illusions about making any fortunes with them either. I am a retired police officer.  I have done all of my homework over the last few months and do indeed know what it take to actually produce a mold from start to finish. I have used some of the top industry consultants to help me. I'm trying my best to preserve a handfull of them.  I can confirm the Empire Train has been preserved.  I have also marked the carolers (along with all the heads) and there is one very old choir body there that may be the old Beco mold. I will know this Friday. The market just won't tolerate much, no matter what folks say. Too many variables.  If anyone wants to help with the investment, give me a yell before Friday! I'm open to any questions you may have.  :)

Thanks!!!

Kelly

Hi Kelly. Just wanted to see if you could contact me before you go on Friday, not sure what kind of dollar figures we are talking on the investment.  How much do some of these older Halloween molds weigh?   thanks, Matt     matthewrutter@yahoo.com 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a message on Facebook today that GF is having one final...final...final sale this  month I'm thinking the 29th but everybody should go to BMN and confirm...see ya there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I got a message on Facebook today that GF is having one final...final...final sale this  month I'm thinking the 29th but everybody should go to BMN and confirm...see ya there

Monday, June 25.
Tarboro plant. Nothing exciting but unpainted stuff, but those who go should have fun. I will not be there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RichardG said:


Monday, June 25.
Tarboro plant. Nothing exciting but unpainted stuff, but those who go should have fun. I will not be there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking into going now, nothing confirmed. Depending on my vacation days, Uhaul rental, etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could!! I started painting unpainted last year after reading how to strip one on this site and love doing it now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big J Illinois said:

I wish I could go...only 15hrs away lolol... I would like a crack shot at painting one, to my liking..

if I manage to go and take $1500 with me I'm sure I'll have plenty for you to paint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG....this is so funny that we were just talking about this skull candle and 1 just sold on ebay.  Too bad the face looks so yellowed :( 

 

 

 

image.png

Edited by donna123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Merrymobile Guy said:

Just to let everyone know, I'm the guy who is trying to buy several of the specific molds. I have been silent for a while on this subject. I was at the Tarboro auction and have since made 4 trips back to mark the molds I was interested in. The buyer has now moved them all to his warehouse and I will be meeting with them this Friday to see if we can agree on price on the ones I had wanted to preserve. I am not in the mold business but a long time collector. I can't stand by and watch all of them get destroyed but I have no illusions about making any fortunes with them either. I am a retired police officer.  I have done all of my homework over the last few months and do indeed know what it take to actually produce a mold from start to finish. I have used some of the top industry consultants to help me. I'm trying my best to preserve a handfull of them.  I can confirm the Empire Train has been preserved.  I have also marked the carolers (along with all the heads) and there is one very old choir body there that may be the old Beco mold. I will know this Friday. The market just won't tolerate much, no matter what folks say. Too many variables.  If anyone wants to help with the investment, give me a yell before Friday! I'm open to any questions you may have.  :)

Thanks!!!

Kelly

Hi, Kelly

Were you able to obtain the carolers?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know who might of obtained the 30" Choir Boy and Girl Molds??? I was hoping Cado got them, but doesnt seem like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cado didn’t get any carolers.
Kelly has picked them, but no guarantee yet as it’s now at the “deal” portion between Kelly and the scrapper.

And again, Cado only got dancing Santa, penguin, pallet of candles, nativity, Mrs. Claus and soldiers which are in production for this year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Kelly will be able to obtain the carolers. There were a bunch of mold for all the different styles and size carolers at the action. I hope he is able to get a complete set of carolers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man this sucks, haven’t been on here in a  while but to see that a scrapper bought a bunch of the molds and that we are down to one company is terrible. I remember when I started lurking on this site and collecting fifteen years ago we had TPI, Union, and GF in full swing 😥.

Edited by Stock557

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also had Drainage Industries and Grand Venture fifteen years ago.  Fifteen years ago we ordered and received over 1000 new blow molds from TPI, we ordered them in July and received them in October 2003.

Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mel, were you selling the blow molds back then or collecting?  1000 is a lot of blow mold!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both, TPI had so many great looking blow molds that we did not have in our collection that we decided to put in a large order and try selling the extras.  We were only interested in selling enough to cover our costs including the shipping and keep the ones we wanted for our collection.  I don't remember how many we kept, somewhere between 50-100 and made a small profit.  The vast majority were sold through eBay at low pries as only a couple of people here on PC were interested in them.  The shipping alone to us was over $3000.

Mel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is this Kelly person who had the other molds?

Would love to know the fate of whatever else was bought, and what the plans are, Holidays only a few months away...looking forward to see the quality of CADO. Plan on getting a few cases of the soldiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who is this Kelly person who had the other molds?
Would love to know the fate of whatever else was bought, and what the plans are, Holidays only a few months away...looking forward to see the quality of CADO. Plan on getting a few cases of the soldiers.

Well what wasn’t bought was scrapped. Even if any were bought this year for sure wouldn’t see any produced. Hope if any were its next year, time will tell. As for the Cado soldiers I plan on snagging 2 at least.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×