Did you know?
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Empire Fanatic

General Foam Auction Tarboro

Here's a link to the Lots that have molds.  Click on each to see photos.  It took me about two hours to save all of them.  Mostly descriptions, but in some you can see the mold.  Recognize some of these oldies???  

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscci/catalogue-id-bscci10279?searchTerm=aluminum+blow+molds&whereToSearch=%2Fen-us%2Fauction-catalogues%2Fbscci%2Fcatalogue-id-bscci10279

TAPERED SNOWMAN.jpg

SEASONS GREETINGS.jpg

1386 CHOIR GROUP.jpg

BAYSHORE PUMPKIN.jpg

DAPOL SMALL NATIVITY.jpg

Edited by Empire Fanatic

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post this.  I went through each page of molds and appreciated each picture.  There really was a lot to see.  Your camera is really good because I was able to zoom in and read most of the labels.  

Thanks for the link and pictures, I just finished saving all the pictures from the auction site, very time consuming.  I see there is a Dapol, Lidco and Empire mold in your pictures.  There are many pictures that I need to enlarge and get mold and part numbers from and I think I saw one or two Poloron molds and several more Empire molds in the pictures.  I wonder how many were sold for possible future reuse and how many went for scrap?

Mel

1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

Thanks for the link and pictures, I just finished saving all the pictures from the auction site, very time consuming.  I see there is a Dapol, Lidco and Empire mold in your pictures.  There are many pictures that I need to enlarge and get mold and part numbers from and I think I saw one or two Poloron molds and several more Empire molds in the pictures.  I wonder how many were sold for possible future reuse and how many went for scrap?

Mel

That's a good question.  There's lots of info and many pics on the Blow Mold Nation page on Facebook. There were members there yesterday and at the auction today.  I'm sure there will be multiple posts and more photos tonight.   It did answer one question I always had. The really old Empire molds still existed!  I couldn't believe when I saw the 14" carolers above.  Do you know if Empire even made them into the 1970's?  Also, did you notice Mel on the top shelf on the left in picture 4 is the mold for Bayshore's Super Deluxe Pumpkin No. 7883 and 7829?  Totally cool!  Do you know if Empire ever actually made this item?  

I do not know when Empire made those carolers.  We have both the Empire carolers and the Lidco carolers and I need to get them out and compare them again, I have always thought that Empire got at least some of the Lidco molds and that was one they made.  I know Lidco made them in the 60's and at least as late as 1970 as I have a 1970 newspaper ad that shows them.  The ad does not say they are Lidco but it does say "Colorful illuminated figures on white styrofoam bases" and Lidco is the company that used the white styrofoam bases.

I do not know if GF made that pumpkin.

Mel

Star Press (1970-11-13) (Welles Ad).jpg

The auction site doesn't post final bids. And I'm not on BMN because it's a closed facebook group (and I refuse to join facebook due to their privacy policies). Can someone post, in general, how much the molds went for?

On 3/6/2018 at 6:51 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Mel

Mel, from what I have read Cado did in fact get quite a few molds, an online bidder got quite a few, and sad to say a few scrappers got several. No telling what will be lost for ever. 

3 hours ago, Don Mcabee said:

Mel, from what I have read Cado did in fact get quite a few molds, an online bidder got quite a few, and sad to say a few scrappers got several. No telling what will be lost for ever. 

Don, where did you read this?  I would love to read something about the auction results.

Don, I have been hearing that Cado bought very few of the molds, maybe about a dozen and the rest went to an online or phone bidder.  Last I heard no one knew who that bidder was at the time.

I’ll happily shine light for everyone.
I was in person for the auction and boy what an experience to be in the plant that made all our blow molds.
I even met the Vice President/owner of Cado. That was even better!

He purchased the SB Mrs. Claus, 28” Empire/GFP Nativity, and the lot of unmarked candles. Before the auction he purchased the soldier, penguin and the famous dancing Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donna123 said:

Don, where did you read this?  I would love to read something about the auction results.

I followed the auction results on Facebook, and several of the groups on Facebook had auction results. 

7 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Don, I have been hearing that Cado bought very few of the molds, maybe about a dozen and the rest went to an online or phone bidder.  Last I heard no one knew who that bidder was at the time.

I read about the online "mystery" guy, I wonder if it could have been Gemmy? 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, Mel Fischer said:

I do not know when Empire made those carolers.  We have both the Empire carolers and the Lidco carolers and I need to get them out and compare them again, I have always thought that Empire got at least some of the Lidco molds and that was one they made.  I know Lidco made them in the 60's and at least as late as 1970 as I have a 1970 newspaper ad that shows them.  The ad does not say they are Lidco but it does say "Colorful illuminated figures on white styrofoam bases" and Lidco is the company that used the white styrofoam bases.

I do not know if GF made that pumpkin.

Mel

Star Press (1970-11-13) (Welles Ad).jpg

Mel, here's photos from ebay of the Empire marked (with the original undated logo) carolers, which was in the Noma catalog in the mid 1960's. So Empire was making it in the mid 1960's.  The mold in the photo has the original Empire logo as well. Not sure how Lidco fits into this.   About the Bayshore pumpkin mold, I know Empire made their Haunted House, Scarecrow and Top Hat Pumpkin(have never seen this Empire version outside the catalog, so they might not have ever actually produced it)  as they are listed in the 1989 catalog (as new).  I really don't believe they ever made the Bayshore Super Deluxe Pumpkin. That's why I think it was cool that they still had the mold.  It also tells me they probably still had all the Bayshore Halloween Molds.  

Empire Caroliers.jpg

Empire Caroliers 2.jpg

1386 CHOIR GROUP - Copy.jpg

Edited by Empire Fanatic

I would be interested in to knowing who got the Choir Boy and GIrl Molds.

As of now a scrapper has all the molds.
I can’t say, but someone is in talks with that scrapper. Last I heard a lot of talks about molds being saved and produced.

I do not see the large Empire choir molds listed in the list of molds that I received at the time of the auction, but then that list consists mostly of the Empire molds and looks like it could be what GF got when they purchased Empire in 2000.  There are a few GF molds at the end of the list.  Considering the 48" Empire choir do not appear to be in the list ( I went through it several times) they might have been gone before GF purchased those molds.  It has been a great list and of immense use to me in identifying catalog and mold numbers for many of the Empire molds that we have in our collection.   The list consists of 480 molds with names and numbers for most of them.

Mel

On 3/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, Mel Fischer said:

I do not see the large Empire choir molds listed in the list of molds that I received at the time of the auction, but then that list consists mostly of the Empire molds and looks like it could be what GF got when they purchased Empire in 2000.  There are a few GF molds at the end of the list.  Considering the 48" Empire choir do not appear to be in the list ( I went through it several times) they might have been gone before GF purchased those molds.  It has been a great list and of immense use to me in identifying catalog and mold numbers for many of the Empire molds that we have in our collection.   The list consists of 480 molds with names and numbers for most of them.

Mel

Mel, I was talking about the smaller boy and girl choir singers. I was told by Empire when I was placing an order back in the day when I ordered from the direct,  that the 48"  choir molds were some of the ones destroyed in the flood/hurricane that happened. This would of been sometime in 1999-2000 time frame

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Mel

Mel, are you referring to the list dated 09/25/02?  If so, I don't think it's complete.  I see a section with what are obviously Bayshore molds, but only the ones they reproduced seem to be listed.  The pumpkin I mentioned previously that's on the left top shelf and the winking pumpkin seem to me missing.  (I only know that they have the winking pumpkin because someone who went to the auction took a photo of an unfinished one.) See photos below.

Bayshore Winking Pumpkin 1.jpg

Bayshore Winking Pumpkin 2.jpg

BAYSHORE PUMPKIN.jpg

Edited by Empire Fanatic

Mel, are you referring to the list dated 09/25/02?  If so, I don't think it's complete.  I see a section with what are obviously Bayshore molds, but only the ones they reproduced seem to be listed.  The pumpkin I mentioned previously that's on the left top shelf and the winking pumpkin seem to me missing.  (I only know that they have the winking pumpkin because someone who went to the auction took a photo of an unfinished one.) See photos below.
5abd95d883fac_BayshoreWinkingPumpkin1.thumb.jpg.8fc5fff9691d2b23132096d6adca1152.jpg
5abd95e309c8a_BayshoreWinkingPumpkin2.thumb.jpg.7a7086ae7ba944981bebc0598524bdc2.jpg
5abd9669dce6d_BAYSHOREPUMPKIN.thumb.jpg.aaddb959b303362ef9526841ed01a7c8.jpg

Good to know my pics were saved. Photo credit is nice when posting around the Internet please. Just another reason I removed the album from public view on Facebook.

12 hours ago, RichardG said:

Good to know my pics were saved. Photo credit is nice when posting around the Internet please. Just another reason I removed the album from public view on Facebook.

Photo 3 was from the auction site, so I'd like to give credit to Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers.  Apparently photo 1 and 2 were from Richard G, so while I accurately stated: "I only know that they have the winking pumpkin because someone who went to the auction took a photo of an unfinished one" , he wants to be credited beyond "someone who went to the auction took a photo of an unfinished one".  I hope you feel better.  But does it really change your life if someone posts photos taken at the auction without specifically naming you? I had no idea who took the photo.  No need to be so petty and so snarky.  

Photo 3 was from the auction site, so I'd like to give credit to Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers.  Apparently photo 1 and 2 were from Richard G, so while I accurately stated: "I only know that they have the winking pumpkin because someone who went to the auction took a photo of an unfinished one" , he wants to be credited beyond "someone who went to the auction took a photo of an unfinished one".  I hope you feel better.  But does it really change your life if someone posts photos taken at the auction without specifically naming you? I had no idea who took the photo.  No need to be so petty and so snarky.  

I feel a lot better. Thanks :)
With that said, if you’re interested I’d be happy to take better pictures of it since it’s now at my house.
And I don’t know who you are either. But as you know I’m Richard. Nice to chat with you.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:26 PM, Empire Fanatic said:

Mel, here's photos from ebay of the Empire marked (with the original undated logo) carolers, which was in the Noma catalog in the mid 1960's. So Empire was making it in the mid 1960's.  The mold in the photo has the original Empire logo as well. Not sure how Lidco fits into this.   About the Bayshore pumpkin mold, I know Empire made their Haunted House, Scarecrow and Top Hat Pumpkin(have never seen this Empire version outside the catalog, so they might not have ever actually produced it)  as they are listed in the 1989 catalog (as new).  I really don't believe they ever made the Bayshore Super Deluxe Pumpkin. That's why I think it was cool that they still had the mold.  It also tells me they probably still had all the Bayshore Halloween Molds.  

Empire Caroliers.jpg

Empire Caroliers 2.jpg

1386 CHOIR GROUP - Copy.jpg

Steve, yes we have that one in our collection, we also have these in our collection which have no maker marks on them and were made by Lidco.  I also have ads from 1966 - 1970 that show those carolers with other known Lidco blow molds, so Lidco did make them during those years at least.  If you are referring to the 1967 & 1968 Noma Lites Canada catalogs those are probably scans of our catalogs that I shared with Mark Podmore several years ago for his catalogs collection.  I have 70+ Christmas blow mold ads with either "Judith Novelty" or "Judith" printed by the blow molds and none of those have the carolers in them.  I also have 50 ads from 1966 -1990 with what we refer to as Empire blow molds in them that do not have a makers name in them and the carolers are not in any of those either.  So far I have found no confirmed information as to when the Empire carolers were made.  The ones shown in the Noma Lites Canada catalogs could very well be Empire since they are shown with other Empire blow molds and I think they probably are but I can not say that for sure.

Mel

Lidco Choir Singers (Red Gown) (Front) (800) (Text).jpg

Lidco Choir Singers (Red Gown) (Back) (800) (Text).jpg

Lidco Choir Singers (Front) (800) (Text).jpg

528647891_o.jpg

Central New Jersey Home News (1966-12-01) (EJ Korvette Ad) (Complete w Date).jpg

Detroit Free Press (1970-12-11) (Franks Ad) (Complete w Date).jpg

Since ive got one of these, and even have a box, i thought id chime in on the discussion. 

The blowmold itself does not have an identifying mark on it that i can find.

The box is marked 'Lidco',  with the contents checkbox checked for choir singer. I see the number 98091 stamped on the box near the checkbox. Is that a Lidco identifying number?...or a garden store inventory number?

The sides of the box not shown in the photos have no information.

I am not 100% sure that this blowmold was the original contents of this box,  as i bought the blowmold/box combo on ebay a number of years ago. I consider the possibility that the original owner 'could' have combined an empty box of a different choir blowmold with this choir blowmold...but my gut feeling thinks this is probably the original blowmold from this box.

lidco choir front.jpg

lidco choir back.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

I would say you have an original box for the carolers.  Here's another box with the same numbers and the carolers are with the box.  I also added a Lidco box for their small candle that I noticed the stamped on number 98092 is one number higher then the caroler number 98091.

Mel

$T2eC16Z,!yoFIeUjeCm6BSdB+Rdcjw~~60_57.jpg

Lidco Candle Box (Side 1) (#BMC-5).jpg