Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mel Fischer

Yesteryear....

6 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Also, I have wondered if Empire was never more then the sales arm of Carolina Enterprises up until the late 70's when Carolina Enterprises changed their name to Empire of Carolina.

Mel

Apparently I was wrong in saying that Carolina Enterprises changed their name to Empire of Carolina in the late 70's.  I found this information in an article from the SEC on August 13, 1998.

The name of this corporation was changed from Carolina Enterprises, Inc.
       to Empire Industries, Inc. as of February 7, 1995. Empire Industries,
       Inc. does business under the names "Empire of Carolina", "Empire
       Manufacturing", "Marchon", and "Caldwell Button Company."

Apparently Carolina Enterprises did business under the name Empire of Carolina starting in the late 70's and continued to do so after changing their name.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Mel Fischer said:

Apparently I was wrong in saying that Carolina Enterprises changed their name to Empire of Carolina in the late 70's.  I found this information in an article from the SEC on August 13, 1998.

The name of this corporation was changed from Carolina Enterprises, Inc.
       to Empire Industries, Inc. as of February 7, 1995. Empire Industries,
       Inc. does business under the names "Empire of Carolina", "Empire
       Manufacturing", "Marchon", and "Caldwell Button Company."

Apparently Carolina Enterprises did business under the name Empire of Carolina starting in the late 70's and continued to do so after changing their name.

Mel

Mel, do mean the official company name?  I have some old toy catalogs.  The 1976 Fall catalog says Empire Of Carolina - A division of Carolina Enterprises, Inc.    The company went public in 1979.  According to a letter from then President Mason Benson in the front of the 1981 toy catalog:  "The year 1980 was Empire's first full year as public company." ........."However, we are proud to report, with your support, Empire of Carolina, Inc. returned a profit to it's shareholders in it's first year of operation.  But, the bottom of the next page says MCMLXXXI Carolina Enterprises, Inc.  Then the back page lists the executives under the heading "Empire of Carolina, Inc.    The 1995 Annual Report lists the main company as being Empire of Carolina, Inc.   A June 1996 Prospectus for a stock offering states: "Empire of Carolina, Inc. was incorporated in Delaware in 1979".  

Edited by Empire Fanatic