Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Empire Fanatic

Empire 1974 Christmas Catalog

Does anyone know why molds Empire stamped 1973 weren't even in the 1974 catalog?  I'm specifically referring to the 22" Jolly Snowman and Santa, as well as the 40" NOEL Candle.  There could be others. Even the large Santa Train stamped 1972 wasn't in it.  Maybe because of the Energy Crisis at the time?  

In most cases the date stamped on the mold is the date the Aluminum mold was made not the dated  the Blow mold was produced

The large Santa Train was advertised and sold as being "Judith Novelty" by the "CAL Membership Department Store" in the December 5, 1973 Independent Press Telegram newspaper in Long Beach, CA, so it was being sold before 1974.  As I recall 1973 was the year of the so called energy crisis, feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the year.

Mel

8 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

The large Santa Train was advertised and sold as being "Judith Novelty" by the "CAL Membership Department Store" in the December 5, 1973 Independent Press Telegram newspaper in Long Beach, CA, so it was being sold before 1974.  As I recall 1973 was the year of the so called energy crisis, feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the year.

Mel

Mel,  You're right on the energy crisis year.  I remember it quite well.   That happened to be the year the local Chamber of Commerce asked me and a friend to put together the Santa Display.   We were using the lobby area of the recently vacated recreation center (a new complex was built on the other side of town) which was right downtown.   The City had put up all the street pole decorations, but none of them were plugged in.  When I realized the pole out front of the building just happened to have the large round santa face decoration I decided that wouldn't do.   I went inside, got an extension ladder, had my friend hold the ladder still while I climbed up and plugged in Santa.    It was the ONLY  street decoration lighted in the entire city that year!       It is the one in the upper left corner of this 1962 catalog page from General Plastics.

GP_1962_06.jpg

David, great memory to have and thanks for posting the page those old municipal decorations are always fun to see.  The new ones just aren't that enjoyable to me, possibly because I am old like the decorations and they remind me of my younger years.  In 1973 I was married and raising seven children, didn't have much money for doing outdoor decorations but we did do some small scale decorating.

Mel

You're right. Maybe there was some other reason.  I know there were no blow molds in Sears catalog in 1976 (not sure about 1975).  Also, I remember they disappeared from local stores around that time and my Mom telling me no stores were going to sell them and she gave me a reason for it,  but I can't remember.  I do remember being happy when they popped up again. 1976 or 1977?  I was 10 at that time.  A discount store near my house had the Dapol Santa and Snowman (36"?). My Grandpa bought me the Santa as I already had the 48" Poloron Snowman.

In 1975 Sears had the union Products #28540 / #7522  Injection molded 21" Large Christmas Tree.  In 1976 they had both the Union Products #28860 / #7520 Injection molded 12" Small Christmas Tree and the #28540 / #7522  Injection molded 21" Large Christmas Tree.  That is all they had for what many refer to as blow molds, technically these trees are not true blow molds.  JC Penney did not have any blow molds in 1975 & 1976 either.

The two different Dapol Santas that I have ads for show them at 32", the one we have is also 32".

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

On 2/17/2018 at 9:04 AM, Empire Fanatic said:

Does anyone know why molds Empire stamped 1973 weren't even in the 1974 catalog?  I'm specifically referring to the 22" Jolly Snowman and Santa, as well as the 40" NOEL Candle.  There could be others. Even the large Santa Train stamped 1972 wasn't in it.  Maybe because of the Energy Crisis at the time?  

I have had the good fortune to be able to see the 1973 catalog and the Santa Train is marked as new in that one, the year after the mold date on the train.

Mel

On 2/17/2018 at 9:04 AM, Empire Fanatic said:

Is this the Noel candle you refer to?  If so, it was introduced as new in 1973

Mel

Empire Noel Christmas Candle (Front) (#1329) (800).jpg

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Is this the Noel candle you refer to?  If so, it was introduced as new in 1973

Mel

Empire Noel Christmas Candle (Front) (#1329) (800).jpg

Mel, that was produced in the 1960's and has the original undated Empire logo.  Here's the one.... 

noel candle.JPG

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Mel Fischer said:

I have had the good fortune to be able to see the 1973 catalog and the Santa Train is marked as new in that one, the year after the mold date on the train.

Mel

Mel, is this the catalog you saw?   It's a real shame people don't share.  The 1993/1994 Empire catalogs out there are mine (probably the 1969 Poloron and 1968/1972 Bayshore catalogs as well).  I have the hard copies and freely sent PDF copies to people not realizing at the time how the game was played.  So, the "Empire Fanatic" will never get to see the 1973 catalog.  

Judith Novelty  .jpg

Edited by Empire Fanatic

Steve, no that is not the 1973 catalog.  That appears to be the one that was uploaded to BMN and I have been accused of being the one that gave it to the one that uploaded it.  I had nothing to do that at all and I do not even know who the one that uploaded it is.  Travis has been telling others that I did it.  I am not on BMN, never have been and probably never will be, too many bad memories and accusations like that from the past with some of the ones there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Empire Fanatic said:

Mel, that was produced in the 1960's and has the original undated Empire logo.  Here's the one.... 

noel candle.JPG

Steve that one is not in the 1973 or 1974 catalogs that I have seen but I have seen it in print from 1975 so I am thinking that it was probably introduced with a catalog insert in 1974, of course I could be wrong about that but until I see evidence that I am wrong I lean towards that being the case.

Mel

I’m curious who leaked that catalog though.
Sad to say, there are reasons why things are not shared. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Don Mcabee said:

Im about to get burned out on BMN myself Mel, too many childish  people, and if you disagree with the wrong persons post the admin will shut down comments, so certain people have "the last say" very childish

Don, as I recall, the admins for BMN and many others left PC partially because they did not like the rules here with the censoring and deleting negative posts.  Sounds like they are doing somewhat similar by shutting down comments if they don't agree with what is being said.  Somewhat of a double standard they didn't like the censoring here but they do censoring there by shutting down comments.

Mel

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichardG said:

I’m curious who leaked that catalog though.
Sad to say, there are reasons why things are not shared. :/

I wouldn't mind knowing who did the leaking also since I am the one being accused of it.  I know of at least nine people who had copies of that catalog when it was leaked and I am the one the clique decided to accuse and then banned me from the group.  I had only been associated with the group for about a week when Travis did that and he was the one who contacted me originally and asked me to join in and share my catalogs and ads with them.

Mel

7 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Don, as I recall, the admins for BMN and many others left PC partially because they did not like the rules here with the censoring and deleting negative posts.  Sounds like they are doing somewhat similar by shutting down comments if they don't agree with what is being said.  Somewhat of a double standard they didn't like the censoring here but they do censoring there by shutting down comments.

Mel

Agreed, It's not every admin there but a chosen handful that will shut down a post if they are called out, or corrected. I deal with one lady on there by the name of martha, straight up, and as honest as they come. If she tells you she has a mold, can find a mold, or the value of a mold you can take it to the bank that she is shooting straight. There is alot of hateful comments directed towards (1) New collectors, they get belittled for lack of knowledge, or for posting in the wrong forum, (2) the "lucky people" the ones that always seems to find treasure in the garbage every single day. I enjoy seeing the new finds, etc but it's not always a happy bubbly environment that you would think you would find in a room of adults, discussing Christmas decorations. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, Mel Fischer said:

I wouldn't mind knowing who did the leaking also since I am the one being accused of it.  I know of at least nine people who had copies of that catalog when it was leaked and I am the one the clique decided to accuse and then banned me from the group.  I had only been associated with the group for about a week when Travis did that and he was the one who contacted me originally and asked me to join in and share my catalogs and ads with them.

Mel

Well we found out who leaked the catalog cover, it was Travis Kenzig himself so now hopefully my name will be cleared of that one.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2018 at 2:42 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Well we found out who leaked the catalog cover, it was Travis Kenzig himself so now hopefully my name will be cleared of that one.

Well Mell, on a more positive note I read an update today that CADO updated their molds to include a few Gen Foam pieces, so this is good news...kinda...sorta

• Like 1

Well Mell, on a more positive note I read an update today that CADO updated their molds to include a few Gen Foam pieces, so this is good news...kinda...sorta

Always good to see molds saved from scrap. And I’m sure you’ve read they own a few of GFs molds along with Grand Venture molds

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RichardG said:

Always good to see molds saved from scrap. And I’m sure you’ve read they own a few of GFs molds along with Grand Venture molds

hopefully the ones that they bought at the auction will make it into production this year, I would like to see a new color scheme for the nativity...time will tell