Jump to content
Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
bmichael

Did Everybody Quit PC?

Recommended Posts

Seems like no one really is coming around PC since the site update.  Is it just because it is the slow time of year and need a break from Christmas or just can't stomach the update?  I personally do NOT like the changes and seems hard to get around and find stuff.  Maybe it's my skill level too, but I find it harder to use on a mobile device vs. being easier!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few of us left in the blow mold forum, most left several years ago for Facebook and only lurk here now.  As you undoubtedly know I have not been posting much here lately either as it seems somewhat a waste of time because there are rarely any replies anymore.  I mainly spend my time doing my blow mold history research now.

Mel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking the same thing.  I am not opposed to change, however I feel like this site has made it more difficult to "eyeball" new topics.  Let me explain.....When I sign on I would like to see what is being discussed, but right now it feels like I need to go through a table of contents or I need to go search for current discussions. 

I hope that makes sense....Donna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey yall, still alive and kicking down here in Ga 74 degrees today, time to clean up a little

sure miss the good old days when people were here, 

not just this forum,  I belong to several sites, they are all super slow.  maybe too many choices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

probably the most frustrating part is that when I google web for things and it links back to the forum, they are all disabled.  this is what new potential members would also see and I wonder if it may drive folks away.

 

and Chuck thank you for all your hard work here, not meaning to criticize just a observation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey All, I appreciate the hard work that Chuck has done for sure. I don't like the changes at all, to hard to navigate. I am not the only one whom has said anything, but put it back to what it was please Chuck :) I did mention, myself wouldn't be lurking as much ,since the big change. Mel, I do read your posts, of the little I have contributed to this site, and I mean little, It has never been a waste of time ever.   I too, have met some pretty cool people through here. Some jerks and some you know whats....in regards to Donna, I couldn't agree MORE with ya:) It's to hard to glimpse,at what is being talked, posted discussed about. Tom is right, they do tend to slow down ,after the 1st of the year  Hey Xenon, send that weather up north please! !

Edited by Big J Illinois

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that a lot of content has disappeared. Sub-forums where there once was a main forum seem to have been lost in the transition. 

I have a huge problem with facebook's privacy policy, and the fact that they harvest names off the internet and off picture postings to create 'stub accounts' to hold these intrusions of my privacy. I lament that I'm effectively out of the loop because, without a facebook account, I can't see what's going on in Blow Mold Nation. As a result, I come here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like the new look.  I even chose the dark background as it seems easier on my eyes.   When I come on I go to the menu bar =  HOME -FORUMS-ACTIVITY-CLUBS-VIDEOS-GALLERY-MORE       
i mouse over Activity   get the drop down menu for "All Activity" and it get me to every posting in chronological order, with the newest postings on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last time you logged in was July of last year.

That is part of the reason I don't post much anymore, too many lurkers and not enough posters, it takes discussion and sharing to make a forum or group a success and there just isn't much sharing here anymore.  It's too one sided when a very few post and the vast majority just lurk and see what information they can gather.  It's discouraging to say but I have lost a lot of interest in sharing over the past several months because it is so one sided and most of the posts I have made received no replies which leads me to think that there isn't much interest in the blow mold history, catalogs, old newspaper ads, etc and that is my main interest in the blow molds.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO.  We are still here.  But Blow Mold Nation on Facebook has stolen people away.  But I prefer here anyway because the people here have more history knowledge and are more respectful to each other unlike people on facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

The last time you logged in was July of last year.

That is part of the reason I don't post much anymore, too many lurkers and not enough posters, it takes discussion and sharing to make a forum or group a success and there just isn't much sharing here anymore.  It's too one sided when a very few post and the vast majority just lurk and see what information they can gather.  It's discouraging to say but I have lost a lot of interest in sharing over the past several months because it is so one sided and most of the posts I have made received no replies which leads me to think that there isn't much interest in the blow mold history, catalogs, old newspaper ads, etc and that is my main interest in the blow molds.

Mel

Mel,  

I think what you said plus the concern about the real possibility of losing so many historical molds in this auction has made me depressed.  It's a very sad time for me, I actually feel anxious about it and I can only keep hoping that they don't get sold for scrap.  We need something exciting, something to reenergize this fine group of ours, but I'm not sure what that is right now.

Edited by donna123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

The last time you logged in was July of last year.

That is part of the reason I don't post much anymore, too many lurkers and not enough posters, it takes discussion and sharing to make a forum or group a success and there just isn't much sharing here anymore.  It's too one sided when a very few post and the vast majority just lurk and see what information they can gather.  It's discouraging to say but I have lost a lot of interest in sharing over the past several months because it is so one sided and most of the posts I have made received no replies which leads me to think that there isn't much interest in the blow mold history, catalogs, old newspaper ads, etc and that is my main interest in the blow molds.

Mel

@Mel Fischer there are still many of us that care more about all of that than the crap that they post on BMN.  I for one, purely enjoy the history of these things because a company Like General Foam is not only part of Christmas history but it is also a local American Made company in my area.  I am proud and honored to own pieces that were made just miles from me.  I was stoked the other day because I received a plaque from one of the employees that i will put in my garage as memorabilia.  

Sadly, the "facebook generation" would rather care about buying things cheap, not care about history and have a pissing contest about things.  

But to me, the history of this stuff is huge.  Especially when the makers are getting slimmer and slimmer.  To think my kids might one day not be able to buy Blow Molds would be sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, donna123 said:

Mel,  

I think what you said plus the concern about the real possibility of losing so many historical molds in this auction has made me depressed.  It's a very sad time for me, I actually feel anxious about it and I can only keep hoping that they don't get sold for scrap.  We need something exciting, something to reenergize this fine group of ours, but I'm not sure what that is right now.

One of the first things this group needs is for people to post and not just sit back, lurk and glean the forum for what might be here and never say anything.  You have done your share of posting and I thank you for that but there are many others that I know of who have done nothing but lurk (some often and others occasionally) for years.  There are several of the PC old timers that went to Facebook that lurk here at least occasionally but never post anymore.  The forum can only be as good as the people who post here.

Mel

 

4 hours ago, salamber said:

@Mel Fischer there are still many of us that care more about all of that than the crap that they post on BMN.  I for one, purely enjoy the history of these things because a company Like General Foam is not only part of Christmas history but it is also a local American Made company in my area.  I am proud and honored to own pieces that were made just miles from me.  I was stoked the other day because I received a plaque from one of the employees that i will put in my garage as memorabilia.  

Sadly, the "facebook generation" would rather care about buying things cheap, not care about history and have a pissing contest about things.  

But to me, the history of this stuff is huge.  Especially when the makers are getting slimmer and slimmer.  To think my kids might one day not be able to buy Blow Molds would be sad.

 

4 hours ago, salamber said:

@Mel Fischer there are still many of us that care more about all of that than the crap that they post on BMN.  I for one, purely enjoy the history of these things because a company Like General Foam is not only part of Christmas history but it is also a local American Made company in my area.  I am proud and honored to own pieces that were made just miles from me.  I was stoked the other day because I received a plaque from one of the employees that i will put in my garage as memorabilia.  

Sadly, the "facebook generation" would rather care about buying things cheap, not care about history and have a pissing contest about things.  

But to me, the history of this stuff is huge.  Especially when the makers are getting slimmer and slimmer.  To think my kids might one day not be able to buy Blow Molds would be sad.

Could you post a picture of the plaque I would love to see it?

Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

One of the first things this group needs is for people to post and not just sit back, lurk and glean the forum for what might be here and never say anything.  You have done your share of posting and I thank you for that but there are many others that I know of who have done nothing but lurk (some often and others occasionally) for years.  There are several of the PC old timers that went to Facebook that lurk here at least occasionally but never post anymore.  The forum can only be as good as the people who post here.

Mel

 

By using the word "lurk", it sounds nefarious.  Which couldn't be further from the truth in my case.  I remember a guy named Chris that was shady.  I had never heard of Blow Mold Nation FB page until reading this post. I just checked it out. Didn't Carrie Sansing used to be a big contributor here?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Empire Fanatic said:

By using the word "lurk", it sounds nefarious.  Which couldn't be further from the truth in my case.  I remember a guy named Chris that was shady.  I had never heard of Blow Mold Nation FB page until reading this post. I just checked it out. Didn't Carrie Sansing used to be a big contributor here?  

Yes, lurking is somewhat nefarious, they check to see if there is anything interesting here but rarely or never post and contribute to the forum.

I assume you are referring to Chris Landi (daffodils on eBay)

Yes she was but she left her several years ago.

Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do miss the old days. So much going on back then that I never let a day go by without checking in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Bill, I remember you from the old days, Planet Christmas was a very active place to be back then.  Those days could come back but it would take people who are interested in posting and sharing information not just reading what is here.

Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still here, but i am not a huge fan of the update. It is harder to find content that i would refer back to and what not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am still here and post when I can. One thing we all need to remember is that this site is what we as a group make of it. I love the ideas and all of the general knowledge that is available on here. Don't know of anywhere else that this information is available  without all of the drama and such that is on Facebook. I'll never join it nor do I want to. Come to have love PLANET CHRISTMAS!!!! Hopefully everyone will come around and begin posting again. 

Holidays will be here again soon and it will be planning time again to prepare the 2018 display.

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I logged on for the first time in a long time today. It took me a while to get logged back in and find the forums, it just kept saying you are not allowed to chat..

I have gone back to school, and in life there is only so much time, but today is Presidents Days, so I have a little wiggle room. Actually, my hubby has brought me the new finds lately. He brought home a turkey from a restaurant closing sale, (it does need a bath, you can tell he had been displayed and loved) as well as someone gave him a gift for me when he was working.

But I love learning and seeing others finds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mel, I feel your frustration, but I really do enjoy everything you post, as well as many of the others.  If I don't reply on some of the topics, most of the time it's because I don't know anything...but that's why I enjoy reading yours:  I learn things.  I also agree with many that it is the dead time of year.  Around Tulsa, there are no garage sales, estate sales....any sales!  I believe around April things will pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×