Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Hey Chuck, I am not sure how to take the "merging" of social media with the private setting, of P.C.  I don't really care for the drama of spybook,er facebook. This is one of the best reasons, not to have spybook, twitter ect. And to merge it with P.C. ,not so sure that's a good idea, as I DO enjoy the ,most part, drama free browsing ,here,on P.C.     I don't mind change, but not sure about the merge, will have to see how it goes. I do know of others, on here, whom don't really want spybook mixed with P.C... anyone?

Did I miss something?  Was a decision made to merge with social media?  Just read Big J's post. I don't use any social media, so how does this impact this forum?  

12 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hey Chuck, I am not sure how to take the "merging" of social media with the private setting, of P.C.  I don't really care for the drama of spybook,er facebook. This is one of the best reasons, not to have spybook, twitter ect. And to merge it with P.C. ,not so sure that's a good idea, as I DO enjoy the ,most part, drama free browsing ,here,on P.C.     I don't mind change, but not sure about the merge, will have to see how it goes. I do know of others, on here, whom don't really want spybook mixed with P.C... anyone?

10 hours ago, Rotatorman said:

Did I miss something?  Was a decision made to merge with social media?  Just read Big J's post. I don't use any social media, so how does this impact this forum?  

I gotta read up on this, im a user of both platforms, but Big j is right, alot of drama goes on there....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rotatorman said:

Not big on this at all.  I got of all the crappy social media because of the B.S. and drama.  Why do we need to do this to a group of folks that don't need it or want it?

• Like 1

I'm interested to see how it integrates. Then again, I'm a fairly active social media user. I certainly don't want to trash it before I see it - in fact, I've never seen anything as is being described, so I actually like the idea of trying something new. Because frankly, what we have now isn't working that great, IMO. Let's see how it goes. 

Maybe I read the post incorrectly? I thought they were adding social media like features to PC not integrating it with FB.... anyone else get that impression?

Personally I think that would be exciting. Keep the forums put each users own page can host their display photos / videos or keep a running tab of their progress each year. I think it would make it easier to follow other users we frequently talk to for advice or just like to follow their builds/ ideas. Then again, I am in from the social media generation so my view of the world is different from I think many people on here...

I read Chuck's post a few times and the one part that sticks out to me is that we will have the "option" of social media capabilities.  That would be important to me because I will not be a part of facebook or twitter etc.  I choose opt-out!  I will always believe that some degree of anonymity is a very good thing.  

I gotta ask, if I "opt" out and don't want spybook postings,and my friend post an article and he is on apybook, I can't see it then, as a contributor?

21 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

I gotta ask, if I "opt" out and don't want spybook postings,and my friend post an article and he is on apybook, I can't see it then, as a contributor?

Big J,

I have no idea how it will work.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.  😳

Chuck's message said we will not be allowed any new messages or posts. Sounds like a read-only web site. I have never used FB or Twitter, and limit my socializing to this and another forum.  Can someone explain what this means, not being allowed to post or message? 

40 minutes ago, Rotatorman said:

Chuck's message said we will not be allowed any new messages or posts. Sounds like a read-only web site. I have never used FB or Twitter, and limit my socializing to this and another forum.  Can someone explain what this means, not being allowed to post or message? 

I think , if I interpreted it correctly, that not being able to post new messages referred to the forum we use now.  Once this forum is archived we can not do anything but read old posts.  We will be using a new forum or new format to post and message other people here on PC.  That's how I understood it.

38 minutes ago, Rotatorman said:

Donna, your explanation kinda makes sense.  I can deal with that.  Thanks for your interpretation.

You are welcome :) 

Donna:  I see you are from upstate New York.  In 1999 and 2000, a co-worker and I spent a number of weeks at a bus mf'g facility (NovaBus) in Albany/Schnectady as inspectors for buses that Cleveland was purchasing. It was costly to bring us home over weekends when the plant was closed, so we did a lot of exploring.  Upstate New York is so darn cool!!  At Lake Placid, we rode the bobsled; at Saratoga Springs we attended an impromptu street concert. The music was A-1, and the cans of beer were $1.  Can't remember what city, but we found an all-ice-block house and were allowed to walk through it.  A lot of very good memories, upstate NY is the best!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rotatorman said:

Donna:  I see you are from upstate New York.  In 1999 and 2000, a co-worker and I spent a number of weeks at a bus mf'g facility (NovaBus) in Albany/Schnectady as inspectors for buses that Cleveland was purchasing. It was costly to bring us home over weekends when the plant was closed, so we did a lot of exploring.  Upstate New York is so darn cool!!  At Lake Placid, we rode the bobsled; at Saratoga Springs we attended an impromptu street concert. The music was A-1, and the cans of beer were $1.  Can't remember what city, but we found an all-ice-block house and were allowed to walk through it.  A lot of very good memories, upstate NY is the best!!!!!!!!!!

That is so great to hear!  I am about 10 miles south of Saratoga Springs.  Lake Placid is beautiful in the summer and winter.  I have always been too chicken to ride the bobsled.   Next time you come to upstate NY you have to drive to the summit of Whiteface Mountain.  You can only drive part of the way, then you park and take an elevator to the top or you can climb the rest of the way!!!  You can also take a gondola ride  called The Cloudsplitter to the top of Little Whiteface which is fun.  The scenery is breathtaking.   I'm glad you have good memories!

When you were at the Olympic Park did you get to see the skiers practicing on the ski jump, even when there is no snow and also the skiers who do all that aerial stuff and then land in a big pool?  It's a crazy thing to watch!

Edited by donna123

No, we didn't get to see the skiers doing their aerial stuff.  Would've like to have seen that. We plan on three trips this year, not including several to D.C.  The one trip to New York will be to drop off a black lab that we raised for Guidingeyes.org.  Hopefully, we can get to Olympic Park during that visit.  About the bobsled:  we live less than an hour from Cedar Point, about 4 - 1/2 hours from Kings Island.  Those fantastic parks have some bad--- roller coasters, and I've ridden them all.  But to ride on the bobsled is the ultimate. That is one fast ride. Your teeth will rattle and that ride just goes on and on.  Thanks for the tips on Whiteface and Olympic.  

• Like 1