Did you know?
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Bolwin

Options to fix snowman frame

Sections of rope light have quit working on this snowman. Can i redo him in clear rope light and paint it? 

IMG_20171231_170114814.jpg

You could have it powder coated. Sandblast it first. Then whatever lights you would like. Most of the store bought ones, use cheap,enamel paint and Mike is right, it comes off after a season or 2

1 hour ago, Mike's creation said:

Depends on the paint. Most of it peels after a season or two.

Are you taking about painting the frame? I was curious about painting rope light to match the color on it currently 

That’s whats I’m talking about most of the paint would not let the light through. You need to connect to a pro theater supply company and talk to them about the coatings they have for various light bulbs. Explain what you are doing and they could advise. But regular spray paint will not work.

I have seen this "bulb dipping paint" advertised on the internet, they advertise a set of 6 colors in small bottles. It is specifically for painting glass light bulbs, i have no idea if the powerful solvents in it would dissolve the plastic in rope light or not. I haven't seen it for sale in any North American websites, here's the link:  https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/723000/Bulb-Dipping-Paint-Red-Yellow-Green-Blue-Violet-Orange

A simpler but time consuming solution may be to use colored permanent markers like jumbo sharpies to color the clear rope light. this wouldn't peel off but might look a bit sketchy close up.

On 1/1/2018 at 8:40 PM, Mikeymatic said:

A simpler but time consuming solution may be to use colored permanent markers like jumbo sharpies to color the clear rope light. this wouldn't peel off but might look a bit sketchy close up.

I highly advise against this endeavor- permanent marker is not the least permanent. From experience- sharpie on blow molds fades within weeks, sharpie on C7 incandescent burns off in an odd manner. Sharpie for a quickfix may work- but the sun will fade it rapidly.

I just use krylon paint for plastic for my fades wireframes that have rope lighting. Taping off certain areas, spraying at night time or in a dark location even if closed while frame lighted, spraying as near lightly as possible until the desired color depth.