Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
xenon

What goes down must go up!

Starting to look empty around here.   acres and its all got to come down so it can go up in the pole barn loft.  I added a observation deck this year, included a removable section of rail so I could add the ramp.  It has more of a angle when we slide boxes down, not so much of a angle so we can push the boxes up.  Finished everything Sunday 12-31-2017, high temp was 33 degrees, but today wind chills around zero.  burr, its cold in north Ga.

Pray everyone has a very Blessed and Prosperous New year.

100_4253.JPG

100_4250.JPG

100_4251.JPG

• Like 1

understand that, got to go to the freezer to warm up.

Crazy weather this year,   3 weeks ago we had 10" of snow on the ground.

Right now my bushes are covered in snow and ice forcing them down to the ground.  I think my lights will be outside until Easter!  This morning was 0 degrees and now it's 5 degrees.

If you trickle water from your garden hose on that ramp, you can use it as a sliding board when it freezes.;)   

Cold here in CLE also:  my rotator motor is stuck frozen solid to the ground - - will have to use my Bernz-o-matic to thaw it loose.

Edited by Rotatorman

Here in CT its just above zero,  with an inch or two of snow on the ground.   all my cords are covered in the snow.  may have to wait until spring thaw to get to some of them.  LOL.  

Mine's not coming down until the end of January, I shut the show down this weekend (epiphany) It is so damn cold out right now that I'm not going to even try.  Beside my cardiologist said no stress or heavy activity until after my cardiac ablation next week.  Had SVT and afib during christmas.   Here is what my display looked like this year.

2017 1.jpg

2017 2.jpg

2017 3.jpg

2017 4.jpg

2017 5.jpg

2017 6.jpg

2017 7.jpg

2017 8.jpg

2017 9.jpg

2017 10.jpg

• Like 2

Kinda the same here in SE Michigan. Forecasts for the next two weeks says we don't expect to be out of the 20's, with several days in the single digits.  But even with decorations frozen into the 6"-8" of snow we have left here, I feel for the folks in Eire.    Hard to fathom 5 feet of snow on top of displays there.   I'll go dark next weekend, takedown..... we'll just have to wait and see.

It's funny in Idaho today it was 39゚ today and sunny skies and no snow in the forecast. Took 8 and a 1/2 hours but I got my entire show  put away . Kind of makes me sad though my house is very boring to pull up to a night now.  I am getting worried about the lack of snow are farmers are gonna be so hosed if we don't get some for irrigation needs

Edited by Thebug

WLND-David,  I grew up in Erie,  have family there.  they are used to snow, but not this much all at once.  I'm just glad I don't live there any more.  5+ feet of snow on the ground and climbing.  It will take a while to melt off.  My mother just doesn't go anywhere at this point, she's in her 80's.  

I couldn't fathom 5 ft of snow , I would be nervous of the frezzing/thawing of the buried light strings:( We are about 70% down,took it to the basement to dry it out. A little at a time as it's -13° this a.m.   Hopefully a heat wave comes and gets to 10° lolol  Honestly, getting used to it and it's not bad,once you at out in it for 15 min...only can be out for an hr before the nose gets numb. Most items popped out ,without damge.  Have some mending to do but nothing like I thought. Quick tip: I used a garden shovel to pry the anchors out of the ground, but first,smack them with a hammer downward a bit and they pop right out

Yeah, most of my blow molds popped right up, but had grass stuck to the bottom of them under 6" of snow. I secured most of my blow molds with wooden garden stakes and if you wobble them, they will come right out.

I can’t get any of the inflatables down. All of the stakes are frozen solid into the ground. But I will get some lights down off of the trees and bushes soon. It’s supossed to be 19 degrees tomorrow. Warmest day we’ve had in two weeks! It’s just crazy!

Hmmm, so do I go out to take down the blowmolds in the 24* heatwave Sunday when I have all day or Monday when It's 38* but I can't get out there until after work??  Dilemma, dilemma.    I'm thinking Sunday when I have daylight & can get it all put away and I won't be tempted to just shove them in the garage until whenever. :lol:

The lights are staying on the house until spring as far as I'm concerned. 

Hi and welcome Lisa...we have been taking stuff down a little each night when I get home...about 70% done. Hope to get the rest, hopefully before the snow/mix on sunday by us:blink:

Edited by Big J Illinois

we just added 10 inches of snow in CT, so the cords are there until the first thaw.  I took down my inflatables,  everything else is staked or buried, so with negative wind chills it will stay outside until it gets warmer.

Now we are supposed to get a few more inches tonight with high winds. The wind chill is -24 degrease! High temp for tomorrow is 9 degrease with a -10 degrease wind chill! Maybe I’ll bundle up like the kid from A Christmas Story and get some lights off of the bushes!

-10 here this morning and we have about a foot of snow on the ground.  I'm not taking anything down today.  We are supposed to get 40s and rain Thursday through Saturday (melt white devil!) so I'm looking at getting most of the stuff off the house, lawn, trees and bushes next Sunday and Monday (MLK Day).  Cords are a different story.  I will deal with them in March or April.  It's not like they are going anywhere.  I just like to get the visible stuff down as a courtesy to my neighbors.  I don't want to be an eyesore.  Who wants to look at Christmas blow molds in February?  

Woohoo! Done! 

Well, mostly anyway.  The metal stakes I use for the toy soldiers & such are frozen into the ground, so I guess those are staying out there for a while.  I used landscape cloth pins (U-shaped and 7 or 8 inches long) to keep the extension cords under control and over the runners of Santa's sleigh - for a few minutes I thought Santa was staying out, too!  A couple good yanks with the claw part of a hammer and I won that fight. 

One fight I haven't won, tho is with a certain <expletive x 100> squirrel!  I thought watching its mate getting pounced on by a hawk,  getting rid of it's nest and a majority of its food stash in my shed (and 4 of the blowmolds!!) would make it move on, but it's a resilient little bugger.  I caught a glimpse of it running along  behind the H'ween blowmolds in the back of my shed, then it climbed up on a pair of coolers we have in there and leaped out at me!  He landed within arms-reach of me, stopped and stared a second, then took off.   Over the summer it ate holes in the door so I'm sure its back in there already...:angry:

Well I got some down today. Took the painted cartoon characters down. Pulled the floods on them. Took down the radio signs and lights, killed the power to the nativity wire frames.  Shut down the computer for the singing trees and pulled the outdoor speakers (klipsh) in bags. Rest of the stuff will have to wait till the beginning of Feb after my cardio procedure rehab.  The great thing this year was the folks with their kids on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day parking in the lot and walking in front of the house. Never had anyone except my niece walk in the display. Family privilege you know! Oh and the weekend folks going really slow in front on Saturday and Sunday nights.  Local law enforcement even brought their families over.  They use the adjacent parking lot for speeders. So I never worry about any problems.  Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Mike, keeping you in our prayers, Had several cardio procedures done last year, crazy this year, had surgery 11-30-17, so had to get every thing done in a hurry, had a break in the weather, so go everything down and stored in 10 days.

Lisa48317: have you tried trapping the squirrel?  Call the city, or purchase a trap, bait it with peanut butter, and set it loose in nearby woods. Once trapped, be careful not to get too close, those squirrels can bite nastily.

57 minutes ago, Rotatorman said:

Lisa48317: have you tried trapping the squirrel?  Call the city, or purchase a trap, bait it with peanut butter, and set it loose in nearby woods. Once trapped, be careful not to get too close, those squirrels can bite nastily.

Actually, no - it's never crossed my mind!  We just have a park at the end of our block, so we get so many critters in our yard that it's pointless to mess with this one.  I'm happy it's just a squirrel and not a skunk! 

This hopefully will also be incentive for the hubby to replace the shed doors, that have been in really bad shape for the last couple years.