Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
hardisj

What color lighting do you prefer?

Light Color Preference  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What “theme” of colors do you prefer?

• Multi (RGBYW/etc)
    • Red/White
    • Blue/White
    • Red/Green
    • Single Color (white only, etc)
    • Other (please specify)

About seven years ago I put up my first display using multi-colored LEDs purchased from Lowe’s. Shortly after, I grew to no longer care for the particular brand/style of LED due to the strobing effect and have desired to “start over”. But I had already invested too much money so I just dealt with it. Besides, people weren’t stopping to complain.  Well, two years ago my PC died which mean our animated display was down for the count. I didn’t have the money or time to replace said PC and rebuild the scenes so I simply went “static”.  You can see our display here from a couple years ago to get an idea of what it was.  Far from perfect, sure.  But entertaining nonetheless.

Fast forward to this season and my wife essentially gave me the biz: next year we are putting our display back in to motion. I told her I absolutely agree. I have been far too complacent so next year it is ON!  Lol. ... But with one caveat: we buy new lights. I’m opting for LEDs again but this time dimmable ones. For now I’m starting with C9’s that will go along the roof line and as years progress I’ll implement additional, more preferred light bulbs/types. I’ve been eyeing options and comparing and now I’m to the point of deciding on Color.  That’s where you all come in.

Having used multis in the past my wife is keen on following suite again. Personally, I’ve liked some of the two-color pair setups I’ve seen (such as red/white) and sometimes even thought the multicolored setup of ours just looked kind of cheap. I tried to talk my wife in to Blue/White given we are Kentucky fans but she didn’t really like that option after I showed her some examples. She and my 7yo daughter both prefer the multicolored setup. So I’m outvoted.  I refuse to have purple or pink, though, lol. Therefore, I think I’ve narrowed it down to this combo:

https://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/C9--Multicolor-Smooth-OptiCore-LED-Replacement-Bulbs-14002.htm#62139

However, I still am curious what the community here has to say with respect to preferred lighting colors (especially on rooflines).  Do you feel that multis look “cheap” or are they quite OK?  Any other thoughts when it comes to choosing light colors?

Edited by hardisj

I use red/green/white/blue in my animated display.  I think it adds something to the sequencing when one color is shown at any given time.  That being said, I don't think your multi show in the video looked cheap.  I enjoyed it.  It is also the less expensive route for sure.  Maybe you could leave the bulk of the display multi and do individual colors on the mega tree.  Just a thought.

Mike

Edited by mjs805

Classic ole Red/White/Green for LOR. The colors on the other half of my static display are random depending on the land theme.

If I was to start over again, I probably would not go with pixels because of the extra programming involved. I do think I would go with dumb RGB lights so I could still have every color that I wanted.

I outlined my roof in white based on my wife’s choice, but I prefer more color so I am deciding whether to convert to candy cane red white.  I haven’t created window frames yet so I’m also considering keeping the roof outline white and making the windows red/white, red/green, or even multicolor.  Too many options.  This is a great question though.

I do a static display and I stick to mainly white, red, and green, with a little blue mixed in for a water feature. 

Red/ White/ Blue/ Green. Single color strands. Not a fan of Multi colored strands.

Tom

Two neighbors and myself use multi colored lights while everyone else uses all clear lights.  I use all led multi, next door neighbor uses all incan multi and other neighbor uses old incan C9 multi.  We really stand out!!

Although I dont use c9's I use C7's but they are in multi, true multi , Red,Green,Blue, orange, purple and cool white. I was skeptical at year 1 but after almost 10 years like this I have really grown to like them. when it comes to buying, if you want quality order from Brian at holiday light express.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

There is a certain shade of blue (LED) that looks so cool.  I have not been able to find it anywhere, but it looks like it may have a mite of purple in it.  I will try to locate a sample and post it.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Jeremy Lawton said:

Although I dont use c9's I use C7's but they are in multi, true multi , Red,Green,Blue, orange, purple and cool white. I was skeptical at year 1 but after almost 10 years like this I have really grown to like them. when it comes to buying, if you want quality order from Brian at holiday light express.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hey dude how u been buddy? 

I'm a easy guy when it comes to lights but I kinda like the old white lights really always enjoyed what they looked like.