Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
xander35803

My Rather Modest 2017 Display

I apologize in advance for the quality (or lack thereof) of the photos

My yard is a paradigm...it's a big front and side yard so there's plenty of room for decor but the yard slopes sharply from the street so i have to get creative in displaying things (like building elevated platforms).   Here's the front yard which goes for a vintage theme

UBHU3884.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

• Like 9

Very nice, picture perfect. Everything looks great- the sled, the MERRY CHRISTMAS lights, elevated nativity, everything including the leaves on the ground.

Could you post a picture of the sleigh and reindeer in daylight? I want a better look of your mounting setup.

Thanks

HVACR  

I haven't taken many photos thus far this year but i do have this one.

the frame is made of slotted metal that you can buy at lowes/home depot.   it bolts together easily with screws and wingnuts so i can break it down in small sections to get it through the windows shown (that way i don't have to use a ladder).  it looks like it is leaning away from the house but that's because of the slope of the roof.   the verticals for making the deer "fly" start at 2 feet lengths and go up to 6 feet.    the resulting frame is very lightweight, breaks down for storage and is extremely sturdy.   i use the sandbags (filled with large "egg" rock gravel instead of sand) shown.   the frame is on its fifth year and has never budged in high winds and pouring rain.  the biggest drawback is the cost; the slotted metal is very expensive; i probably have at least as much money tied up in the frame as in the molds (based on the fact that i bought the molds new back when general foam was still cranking them out).  i hope that helps.  if you have any more questions let me know.  thanks for the interest

IMG_6219.thumb.JPG.d86eb5344013e55021269260f87a4e8f.JPG

• Like 1