Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Christmas on the Farm

Viewing Public Say the Darndest Things

I couldn't agree more with RAB.  I don't care what you put out, or how much, or how it looks.  Just put something out!  Nothing more depressing than a dark neighborhood.  Does anyone else feel like a hypocrite when the passersby go on and on about all the hard work you do so everyone can enjoy it?  I have to admit, if nothing more than a stray dog, a wino, and the mailman saw my display, I'd still do it because I enjoy it, whether anyone else sees it or not.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2017 at 4:05 PM, slankard said:

I couldn't agree more with RAB.  I don't care what you put out, or how much, or how it looks.  Just put something out!  Nothing more depressing than a dark neighborhood. 

Yeah agreed. 

Best I've heard this year- I love your display can I take pictures? This way I can decorate my house just like yours and my wife can stop asking me to drive past your house...  LOL

Edited by diamondkilo
  • Like 3

On December 14, 2017 at 7:48 PM, ChristmasKitten said:

I agree with both @Aputernut and @The Inflatable King Of Ohio. I like traditional displays with nativities, as well as the ones with lots of inflatables and blow molds. The only ones I don't like are the ones were the inflatables and blow molds are so dense you can't tell one from another. :o

Well that's how my display was last year... But this year is much diffrent.  Last year is in the last two pictures. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/4/2017 at 5:06 PM, slankard said:

We stand outside and pass out candy canes, and people are always asking my wife if this is our display.  She tells them, "No, we're just strangers who really have the holiday spirit!"

2017-12-18_16_57_05.thumb.jpg.89655fffbde59ea9fc313cdadac1aaeb.jpg

Slankard, we just put ours out in a mailbox and then light it up with smart lights at one point of a sequence when we invite people to come get one. We do empty it when the show gets done though. If we forget to, the neighboorhood kids empty it for us on the way to the bus in the morning. The community loves that we do it so much they have left money and even donate bags of candy canes to help replenish supplies.

On the main topic, like many of you, I receive comments about the radio broadcast. My neighbor told his kids I must be friends with the radio station owner or something.  HA HA!!
His kid didn't understand when I tried to explain what was really happening.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KneelandLights said:

2017-12-18_16_57_05.thumb.jpg.89655fffbde59ea9fc313cdadac1aaeb.jpg

That there is an awesome candy cane box idea! I absolutely love it.. Genius!

Edited by diamondkilo
  • Like 1