Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Lighting up Joliet

Wire frame deer lights out

Hello again!

I have almost completed the display this weekend with a lot of hard work and man am i happy! the only thing that is really wrong is my deer. I have 9 wire frame deer and a sled that i put on the side of my yard. it normally looks very nice and was a great feature. BUT....all of the deer have something wrong with them in term of the lights. i have like 4 that do not work at all and then the rest ether have some or all of the body lit or there head lit. I have no idea what to do. they are a big part of the display so i do not want to scrap them but i think if i just put new lights on them it wont look as nice. anyone have advice?

We had a couple with LEDs and twinkling LEDs that started going bad.  But it was corrosion in the "box" where the power went in.  I opened it up, resoldered the leads inside, then filled it with hot glue to waterproof it.  I have had many LED yard items where moisture got inside the electronic case and created havoc.

Just take them in one deer at a time and work them out with a Light Keeper Pro.   Cannibalize a spare set of lights to use for bulbs.   It will be a lot less work than replacing all the lights.

I had 9 deer and sled like these for may years and found that the light keeper pro works great most of the time.  Since with these deer there are so many lights after a few years there was a constant failure issue.  Several times I would restring the deer.  I also found that once in a while using the "trigger" function of the Light keeper would blow every bulb in a set.  My solution was to buy boxes of LED lights from walmart after Christmas at 75% off.  They sell warm white white wire lights and I got the for $1 a box and converted all of them to LED.  Never had an issue again.  And saved lots of power!!

20 hours ago, timpwk said:

I had 9 deer and sled like these for may years and found that the light keeper pro works great most of the time.  Since with these deer there are so many lights after a few years there was a constant failure issue.  Several times I would restring the deer.  I also found that once in a while using the "trigger" function of the Light keeper would blow every bulb in a set.  My solution was to buy boxes of LED lights from walmart after Christmas at 75% off.  They sell warm white white wire lights and I got the for $1 a box and converted all of them to LED.  Never had an issue again.  And saved lots of power!!

I have a bunch of wire frame deer too and the lights still work with the occasional fail and fix with the light keeper. I am planning to replace them with LED in the future because they use so much power! I however want to do it on a budget and wondered about the Walmart lights. Do you have any pictures of your deer?

22 minutes ago, Rynelson said:

however want to do it on a budget and wondered about the Walmart lights

I am using well over a 100 strands of Walmart LEDs (red, green, blue, and warm white) in our display....they aren't sealed LEDs, but they are holding up well.  I have had a couple with issues do to sockets where the metal contacts didn't install correctly, but easy fix and you see that in the old incans too.

2 hours ago, Rynelson said:

I have a bunch of wire frame deer too and the lights still work with the occasional fail and fix with the light keeper. I am planning to replace them with LED in the future because they use so much power! I however want to do it on a budget and wondered about the Walmart lights. Do you have any pictures of your deer?

I actually gave them away this year to my son's girlfriend.  I will get pictures for you.  I has been three years and I have had zero issues.  I used the wires from the old incans to splice wire onto the LEDs at the fold points to allow me to continue to fold the deer for storage.  Most of the LEDs fit in the clips that held the old incan bulbs and I also got more clips at the local ACE.  I also used 4inch wire ties to hold the lights on.   I only gave them away as last year I finally achieved a goal of getting 9 blow mold reindeer and sleigh to put on my roof.  (75% off at a local store!)   I felt strange having two sleighs so I gave them to her.  She is also my design and setup partner at my house so I am glad she has them!!!!   

On 11/21/2017 at 8:13 PM, timpwk said:

I actually gave them away this year to my son's girlfriend.  I will get pictures for you.  I has been three years and I have had zero issues.  I used the wires from the old incans to splice wire onto the LEDs at the fold points to allow me to continue to fold the deer for storage.  Most of the LEDs fit in the clips that held the old incan bulbs and I also got more clips at the local ACE.  I also used 4inch wire ties to hold the lights on.   I only gave them away as last year I finally achieved a goal of getting 9 blow mold reindeer and sleigh to put on my roof.  (75% off at a local store!)   I felt strange having two sleighs so I gave them to her.  She is also my design and setup partner at my house so I am glad she has them!!!!   

How many strings of 50 bulbs did you use on each deer?

I did not use the same on each deer.  I accumulated them over the years and they were all in different poses, but it ranged from 4 to 6 sets.  These were all older deer, which are much sturderer and robust than the ones made in the last few years.