Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Big J Illinois

Pics of anyone's display progress

16 minutes ago, mwalz said:

Thank you! How did you hang that wreath? It probably is decently heavy

It is heavy! 6ft tall and about 40lbs.  I put an eyelet in the eave about 12"  from the peak on both sides, and attached pulleys like shown below and tied it off to a rope cleat with a bolt clamp so a neighborhood kid cant let it down. Then i use some paracord that is similar in color to my house that I tie to the bottom as guy wires to keep it from swaying in the wind.  This is my first year doing it and so far it works pretty good.

Wreath pulley system.jpg

Edited by MrMatt

Nothing completes your vintage outdoor Christmas lighting quite like snow. Christmas snows are rare for Georgia - especially an 8" snow. I created a flickr album of some pictures and videos I took. Click on the picture below and enjoy. Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

Nothing completes your vintage outdoor Christmas lighting quite like snow. Christmas snows are rare for Georgia - especially an 8" snow. I created a flickr album of some pictures and videos I took. Click on the picture below and enjoy. Merry Christmas!
[/url]  

Hauntingly beautiful. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff ,   Wow, you really got some awesome photos.  The ones of the tree are spectacular !  I agree - several of them are Christmas Card quality.  And I love the sound of the falling snow with all the twinkling lights in the videos :)      Even the sound of the Train Whistle adds a special touch.  Winter Wonderland !

5 hours ago, JeffCarter said:

Seriously, those photos are Christmas Card-worthy. Beautiful tree/capture!

Jeff, that's one of the prettiest pictures I've seen.  Stephen, you've got to be using a drone to get those amazing pics.

44 minutes ago, slankard said:

Jeff, that's one of the prettiest pictures I've seen.  Stephen, you've got to be using a drone to get those amazing pics.

Yep, it was actually here on PC in December 2013 that I first saw drone footage of another display made by an early adopter (I forget who), and 3 months of research later I had one. Used it every year to photograph the display (among numerous other things!)

Edited by Stephen Blue

12 hours ago, MrMatt said:

It is heavy! 6ft tall and about 40lbs.  I put an eyelet in the eave about 12"  from the peak on both sides, and attached pulleys like shown below and tied it off to a rope cleat with a bolt clamp so a neighborhood kid cant let it down. Then i use some paracord that is similar in color to my house that I tie to the bottom as guy wires to keep it from swaying in the wind.  This is my first year doing it and so far it works pretty good.

Wreath pulley system.jpg

That's a really good idea, as long as it works that's all that matters

Stephen Blue,

That is amazing, I love the density of lights. That must be a herculean task to set up. My wife and I start the weekend after Halloween and come nowhere close to what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here is some pictures of my display, nothing special. Like everyone else, already trying to figure out how to make it better. Located in sunny Southern California.

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mnull13 said:

Here is some pictures of my display, nothing special. Like everyone else, already trying to figure out how to make it better. Located in sunny Southern California.

mnull, I love the fact your blow molds are not spread all over your yard, you have a lot going on but they are displayed nicely. What did you use for the white section in your river? I've been trying to figure out a material to use for that for a while

Hi, I am new to the site. My name is Deb. This is my 2017 display. Most of the displays I made my self. I don't do singing lights because I'm not singing light savvy LOL  So I try and do cute things like Santas Runway and Santas clothes hanging out to dry. And of course the Atmos videos help quite a bit. I love everyone's pictures. Y'all have given me some great ideas for next year. 

10000000_145655116091025_4118374806477340672_n_(1)_(1).mp4

6 hours ago, debbiedowner said:

Hi, I am new to the site. My name is Deb. This is my 2017 display. Most of the displays I made my self. I don't do singing lights because I'm not singing light savvy LOL  So I try and do cute things like Santas Runway and Santas clothes hanging out to dry. And of course the Atmos videos help quite a bit. I love everyone's pictures. Y'all have given me some great ideas for next year. 

10000000_145655116091025_4118374806477340672_n_(1)_(1).mp4

I love the big bulbs. Home depot by my work has a ton. I'm hoping to score some after Christmas.

I love the big bulbs. Home depot by my work has a ton. I'm hoping to score some after Christmas.

Ours has a few big boxes of them as well. Might have to grab some, they look great in that display. I wasn't sure how they would look.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I bought mine online from Walmart. They were actually cheaper $5.18 I then picked them up at the store. 

I was at Home Depot and they had theirs marked down to $5.98

I would like to make them brighter. I've been looking at videos of how to do it so I might try it sometime next year. 

I bought mine online from Walmart. They were actually cheaper $5.18 I then picked them up at the store. 
I was at Home Depot and they had theirs marked down to $5.98
I would like to make them brighter. I've been looking at videos of how to do it so I might try it sometime next year. 

What type of light do they have in them? If it's a candelabra base like blow molds you can get some pretty bright led for it that work great in blow molds.

50 minutes ago, TBS99 said:

Finally done. Lots of problems this year. Here it is:

Looks great!  Your arches look like its a jumping ball of fire in that video

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slankard said:

Debbiedowner, how in the world do you get the video on your garage door?   That is mesmerizing! 

Thank you Slankard, It's an AtmosFX video. They do really great videos. And they are decently priced. I have 17 of their videos so far. Halloween and Christmas. They are my biggest compliments at both Holidays. I have an older projector that is 2500 lumens. I bought off Ebay for $55 and since its older I use a Micca Speck ($30 from Amazon ) with a USB to play the videos. It will be one of your best investments. I also have a video playing in my garage window. 

Thank you Slankard, It's an AtmosFX video. They do really great videos. And they are decently priced. I have 17 of their videos so far. Halloween and Christmas. They are my biggest compliments at both Holidays. I have an older projector that is 2500 lumens. I bought off Ebay for $55 and since its older I use a Micca Speck ($30 from Amazon ) with a USB to play the videos. It will be one of your best investments. I also have a video playing in my garage window. 

So you are using that outside? How are you protecting it from the elements?