Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Big J Illinois

Pics of anyone's display progress

Finally finished today.  So happy I rewrapped the bushes from white to red and green this morning. Also happy with my first try at a mega tree and the roof outline, though I wish I did the verticals also.  Want to do the windows but could not commit as we are thinking about moving.  Great displays everyone!

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pjwallen said:

Finally finished today.  So happy I rewrapped the bushes from white to red and green this morning. Also happy with my first try at a mega tree and the roof outline, though I wish I did the verticals also.  Want to do the windows but could not commit as we are thinking about moving.  Great displays everyone!

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

Looks great! Verticals and windows will look sweet. But either way looks very nice. Hit that lamp post with some lights as well!

Thank you diamondkilo, love your display and now want to make those DIY gift boxes.  What light color would be best on lampposts?  The last few years I wrapped with red rope but left it off this year for no real reason.  Stick with white minis?  Also what are you using for your ground lights?   C7s/c9s with stakes or something else?  That is what I am doing.  Thanks.

Finally got some good photos and a video before I have to start tearing it all down tomorrow to sell. I even had to go half size on the Xmas tree inside to "open" up the living room.515b8dff2685dd3cd5dc422e98d397a6.jpgd96f77ed566069b7e06bfb6b8dcef8f0.jpga94671710c8adb28be3dbe7629a27a81.jpgcccdfe6b2a97413197cdb1e323286630.jpg4c9b88da4efe9da3abacf31290ca72dd.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, pjwallen said:

Thank you diamondkilo, love your display and now want to make those DIY gift boxes.  What light color would be best on lampposts?  The last few years I wrapped with red rope but left it off this year for no real reason.  Stick with white minis?  Also what are you using for your ground lights?   C7s/c9s with stakes or something else?  That is what I am doing.  Thanks.

Thanks! You could do red/white red/green or red/green/white combo. For my ground lights -c9 with 10inch stakes.

Brilliant Idea! Thanks 

Adieu it took forever. Here is what I did. I hadn't put the cover on it yet, but just a standard outdoor in use cover.
215e0ac37fe03c012397bb20ad5471d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, vette-kid said:

Adieu it took forever. Here is what I did. I hadn't put the cover on it yet, but just a standard outdoor in use cover.

Wow, what and awesome idea. Gonna have to make a few of those for sure! Thanks for sharing that! Gave me an idea to put inline smart switches too!

Hey I'm new and not sure where to ask this. 

I have the dickens carolers blow mold set (man women with child and lamp post). Does any one know where I could get replacement buttons for the mans coat?

New guy here.  I don't have many photos yet from this season, but I did take a couple of a 10' animated Santa face that I had up on my garage roof last year.  We got solar installed this year, so there isn''t room up there anymore.  I built a stand and set him up in the yard.

I love all your photos btw.  You guys are very creative and great at what you do.  Keep up the great work!

John

20171125_153840.jpg

20171125_153828.jpg

Little late to the table but finally got a few pics. We have 25K lights and 112 channels on the animated section.

IMG955542.jpg

IMG_0396.JPG

Edited by Mwalc37699
  • Like 4

Thanks to all for posting the beautiful, cheerful pics.  All your hard work really pays off.  It brightens my day! :) 

Getting ready to tie into my LOR sequences Monday. I added the Bethlehem (Holdman) Star to the roof this year. Turned out pretty sweet. 

20171113_141411.jpg

20171128_170505.jpg

20171128_180849.jpg

20171130_120538.jpg

20171129_194427.jpg

20171130_175715.jpg

Something kind of cool happened tonight. One of my local news channels contacted me and then came out interviewed me and filmed the show. I'm kind of excited to see how it turns out

• Like 3

Getting ready to tie into my LOR sequences Monday. I added the Bethlehem (Holdman) Star to the roof this year. Turned out pretty sweet. 

Looks good, care to share details on how you made the star?

23 minutes ago, MrMatt said:

Looks good, care to share details on how you made the star?

I followed a tutorial on Tom Holdman's Christmas site at http://www.holdman.com/christmas/.  Click the "tutorials" link on the left side of the page.  If you can't find it let me know and I will get you more information.  I used my Halloween window projector to project the image onto plywood.  Just copy and paste the image onto a SD card or USB drive.  Traced it, cut it out, drilled it, painted it and attached the lights.  I used 175 LED C7 lights.  It was simple but time consuming.  I took it up onto the roof in sections and reassembled up there.  I am VERY happy I decided to to do this.  Good luck to you if you choose to make one.  You won't be sorry.  Merry Christmas!

32 minutes ago, Thebug said:

Something kind of cool happened tonight. One of my local news channels contacted me and then came out interviewed me and filmed the show. I'm kind of excited to see how it turns out

Good for you!  Always good to see when the word gets out about a display.  Best of luck to you as you go to the next level.  Merry Christmas!

• Like 1