Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
zman

Christmas Expo 2018

I may not be able to attend the expo 2018 . I have a dragracing event in Columbus, Ohio. If anything change , you may see me

This is less than five hours from me (Tulsa), so I'm wondering if it would be worth the drive.  I know nothing about LOR, Pixels, etc., and I'm not sure I ever will.  Is there anything for traditional static displays, and if so, what types of classes have there been in the past?  

Slankard, the curriculum covers the spectrum. We have beginning to advanced topics. There is usually a Soldering Workshop, and have had all sorts of non "technical" classes such as Blowmolds, cutouts, PVC, etc... So something for everyone. The best part is the networking with those who teach, and attend this event. I would say confidently it would be well worth the trip/time...

I don't do pixels. Heck, I don't even do LED. And I do not do lights to music. And yet, I still find lots of things of interest at Christmas expo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/31/2017 at 6:00 PM, slankard said:

This is less than five hours from me (Tulsa), so I'm wondering if it would be worth the drive.  I know nothing about LOR, Pixels, etc., and I'm not sure I ever will.  Is there anything for traditional static displays, and if so, what types of classes have there been in the past?  

There is probably something in it for you, I would go to one of them sometime. Meeting others and exchanging Ideas is fun.

The only negative aspect was I found some of the DIY classes a little sketchy when the self taught person teaching, didn't know as much as they should have. 

Well since the last expo attended was called Plus in 2007, thought it might be interesting to attend in 2018. So my first step was to book a room at the Hampton Inn. Through the Expo website, I put in an arrival date of July 18 and departure on July 22. In return I was told that, "The requested rate is not available for 18 Jul 2018 - 22 Jul 2018 at Hampton Inn & Suites Dallas-Mesquite." 

Now what? I see two other members made reservations. What did I mess up? I changed the default dates because I don't need to check in several days early, and I need to stay the night of 7/21 because of the distance needed to drive home. Help please.

8 hours ago, timdks said:

Well since the last expo attended was called Plus in 2007, thought it might be interesting to attend in 2018. So my first step was to book a room at the Hampton Inn. Through the Expo website, I put in an arrival date of July 18 and departure on July 22. In return I was told that, "The requested rate is not available for 18 Jul 2018 - 22 Jul 2018 at Hampton Inn & Suites Dallas-Mesquite." 

Now what? I see two other members made reservations. What did I mess up? I changed the default dates because I don't need to check in several days early, and I need to stay the night of 7/21 because of the distance needed to drive home. Help please.

That was my first "Expo". I know from talking to Janice and Joyce that the hotel filled up fast, they added more rooms, but not sure where that effort is at. They have posted an alternate hotel on the Expo webpage that is across the street. 

http://www.christmasexpo.com/

Look on the right pane under Santa's Choice Hotel. Look forward to seeing you there....

Hi timdks! Zman is correct that the main hotel sold out fairly quickly. The back up hotel is the TownePlace Suites and is right across the street so it's very convenient as well and the rate is the same. You can book online with them to get our rate.

See you in Mesquite!

Janice

5 hours ago, ChristmasExpo said:

Hi timdks! Zman is correct that the main hotel sold out fairly quickly. The back up hotel is the TownePlace Suites and is right across the street so it's very convenient as well and the rate is the same. You can book online with them to get our rate.

See you in Mesquite!

Janice

Janice, that's a bummer about rooms not being available almost 7 months in advance. Surprised the link is still active on the Christmas Expo website if there are no rooms available.

So I took your advice and clicked the link to the Town Place Suites, but had a problem there. It said the negotiated rates were only good for the period of July 18-21. I tried to change the 21 to a 22 because of the reason stated above, but the site said, "Rate available 07/18/18 to 07/21/18" I guess I can check out early and not stay the last day, but I hate to boogie early. Or I can pay the up charge for July 21. But the primary hotel said it had rooms at the Expo rate from July 15 through July 24. Is there a way I can book a room for 4 nights, checking in the 18th and out the 22nd and still get the negotiated rate for the entire time? Or maybe there is no reason to stay around on July 21 and I should just head home. Haven't seen an agenda at this point.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi! The link is still active because people do cancel and rooms will pop in on our block when that happens. On the backup hotel, it was our understanding that they were going to run the price Sunday - Sunday so we'll check with their business office on Monday. It usually takes them 24-48 hours to update the system so you should be able to check with them again by the middle of next week.

Janice

3 hours ago, ChristmasExpo said:

On the backup hotel, it was our understanding that they were going to run the price Sunday - Sunday so we'll check with their business office on Monday. It usually takes them 24-48 hours to update the system so you should be able to check with them again by the middle of next week.

Janice

Thanks for checking Janice. I looked at a couple of past Expo agendas and it showed a busy and full day on Saturday. So to leave at the end of the program and drive home is really out of the question. Staying Saturday night at the negotiated rate would be outstanding.

Janice, I looked at the Christmas Expo website a few minutes ago (Saturday, January 13 at 9:45am) and tried to book a room at the TownPlace Suites, checking in Wednesday, July 18 and out Sunday, July 22, but their website still only shows in on the 18th and out on the 21st. What did their business office say about extending the pricing through Saturday night? Thanks.

Edited by timdks
More information added

Well Janice, just made a run at TownPlace Suites through the Christmas Expo website this morning and still couldn't get a checkout on Sunday, July 22 at the negotiated price. It still only allows a check-in on Wednesday, July 18 and out on Saturday, July 21. Think they'll ever change it to allow a checkout the next morning after the Expo has concluded?

30 minutes ago, timdks said:

Well Janice, just made a run at TownPlace Suites through the Christmas Expo website this morning and still couldn't get a checkout on Sunday, July 22 at the negotiated price. It still only allows a check-in on Wednesday, July 18 and out on Saturday, July 21. Think they'll ever change it to allow a checkout the next morning after the Expo has concluded?

Janice, I found a work-around. When I accessed the Christmas Expo website from my desktop computer, I was not able to reserve a room for other than the three days shown. However, when I went to your website through my mobile phone, I was able to change the check-out date to 7/22 and therefore received the $99 rate for four nights. Even got my confirmation from Marriott. Don't know why I can't make the date change using my desktop though. Might be a problem others experience.