Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Dietdewboy

Computer for LOR

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the LOR club, picked up a couple 16 channel controllers at the spring sale this year.

Here is the problem, we're a Mac family, iPads, cell phones. desk tops, please don't rip on me for drinking the Mac koolaid...lol

Can anyone recommend a decent windows based laptop for the LOR software? I don't want to spend a ton on one as to will only be used for the light show. I know its late season to get started but I'm hoping to get a few things under control this season. 

I use an ancient old desk top to run my show, do my programming on it also. If all your going to do is run your LOR on since you are a "crapple" family.  I would say get anything that runs.  Don't waste money on an expensive one.    My two cents. 

2 hours ago, Shawn M. said:

Don't waste money on an expensive one

Ditto!  I picked up a cheap laptop on craigslist....also hit the pawn shops.  You can find a cheap machine that is a couple years old. 

I do my programming on my dual display desktop and then move the files to the laptop.  But if you are running a couple controllers doing it all on the laptop is no worries.

• Like 1

I use a MacMini and Parallels software running Windows 7. Have used that for years without issue.   Before that I was on another MacMini running Windows XP via BootCamp.

I've run LOR for 11-12 years this way and no hiccups* and no "real" windows box.  

I've only now started to come across an issue trying to configure first gen LOR PixelCon 16 boards via the Mac running Windows.  I'm not convinced it a Mac / Ethernet issue based on what I've read about PixelCon 16 boards.   I haven't had a chance to try and fully update the firmware on the LOR boards and dig deeper so I am not assigning blame yet. 

On;y thing I recommend is windows 7 or newer. I am using my old laptop from 2011 to run my show. Nothing expensive, hit up the pawnshops, not fond of getting electronics off Craigslist but that's my preference.

One word of caution on "anything that runs"... I used to use a 1990's Lenovo laptop running windows 98. While it ran the shows fine with 128 channels, the songs ran about 5% slow. It wasn't noticeable until I tried to over-dub the music onto a video I made and couldn't get it to sync properly. I did an upgrade to a 1999 dell desktop with an 800mhz processor running windows XP and have been using that successfully for 10+ years.

it's funny.  the bare bones, minimal performance pc that runs my show, runs them just fine.   If I plug the USB/RS485 adapter into my super high performance laptop and try to run a sequence, it blue screens.  it is probably a driver issue, but it made me laugh when it happened.

I too have been a mac user for a while.  A cheap Wal-Mart e-machines (do they still make them?) windows laptop with a $100 floor model 27 inch monitor!

my brother is a computer programmer by trade but he never cared for apple lol but I here u can use them for your LOR I never did but I use:

• Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8400 (2.80 GHz)
  • 8 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2 GB

seems like it runs ok lol 

I have two computers I use for my shows.  One is a nice alienware desktop, 10gb of ram, 3ghz dual core.  I use it for programming my shows.  But its also the same computer I use for my video editing and photoshop as well.  The other computer i use is just a cheap HP laptop.  It only has 4gb of RAM and a 2.7ghz cpu.  It still does the job just fine for tweaking a show on the road, and running the shows no problem.