Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mwalz

FM Transmitter suggestions

I got the light show part of my display up and running last night. Simple 16 channel LOR setup for a few sections on the house. I wasn't going to synchronize it to music and just run animation on it. Well I've since changed my mind and need suggestions for an FM transmitter.

Looking for one around $100 at most but maybe more if it is a lot better. It would be placed in the garage and the street is only about 50- 75 ft away, 100 if i put it at the back of the garage. I'm a newbie to FM transmitters so any help is appreciated!

You don't need something over $100 (unless you want to be heard across town). Just find a low to mid-size transmitter on Amazon. Mine cost about $67 and reaches about a block.

If you don't have a sign, It seems that many people, including me, use Holiday Coro's pre-punched black coro Tune To sign. It works quite well and comes with a  mini light installment guide.

4 hours ago, TBS99 said:

This is the one I bought. It works great. I have a 2 acre front yard and no problem with signal reaching a few blocks down the road with it set on low.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=pe_825000_114657650_TE_item

Thank you for bringing my attention to that one. I ordered a Crane fm transmitter last year to mess around with and it does not work very well.

46 minutes ago, ChristmasKitten said:

If you don't have a sign, It seems that many people, including me, use Holiday Coro's pre-punched black coro Tune To sign. It works quite well and comes with a  mini light installment guide.

Thank you I will look in to that, I have seen them before and they look good. I know the people who own a local sign shop and may get something made there.

"whole house fm transmitter" it gets the job done, nothing special about it... I use it and have no issues. some people on here hate it though / have horror stories

7 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Signstek...has anyone used this one?

TBS99 Is the one that linked it, mybe they can shed some more light on it?

13 hours ago, TBS99 said:

This is the one I bought. It works great. I have a 2 acre front yard and no problem with signal reaching a few blocks down the road with it set on low.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=pe_825000_114657650_TE_item

I have run a Fail Safe F-S CZH-05B transmitter for the last 3-4 years...I have NO complaints with it.  I started with whole house and could never get satisfactory distance with it.  In low range mine reaches a block with it located inside the house near a front window.  The specs are the same as this one listed on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=psdc_13981621_t3_B00CM2VPMQ

and it looks very similar to the one TBS99 listed

Edited by qberg

Big J , I researched transmitters for a couple of months before I got the Signstek. It is the  same transmitter as the one made by Fail Safe. I researched the LOR forum and here plus other sites and the 2 most purchased for the money were the Signstek and Fail Safe brands. Several other people had used them for a few years now. I am very happy with my choice.

Tom

I agree, both radios should do fine.  I think most horror stories you hear may be do to issues like; antenna placement, computer to radio cable cross polarization of even radio/computer proximity.  Make a clean setup and it should be great.

Edited by Christmas on the Farm

EDM sells some high quality transmitters, and you can get their lowest model for $151.  I just ordered one and I've found the quality to be excellent.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I'm going to order the Signstek and see how it does. It's a good price and I'm trying to keep costs low after overspending on Halloween this year.

I appreciate all the help!

10 hours ago, mwalz said:

Thanks guys! I'm going to order the Signstek and see how it does. It's a good price and I'm trying to keep costs low after overspending on Halloween this year.

I appreciate all the help!

I don't have one but that looks like a winner. I might have to try that one myself.

I have had a Fail Safe transmitter for 3 years with no problems.  Not sure what model, just .5 watt.  MOST of the transmitters look exactly alike just different colors.  probably one company in China makes them.  Mine with just the included telescopic antenna goes almost 1/2 mile down the block each way on low power. 

Hope someone can help, I was comparing transmitters I have two projectors that I will have sound playing, when I check the comparison chart for the SainSonic Ax it says Independent Line & mic audio only, the wholehouse 3.0 says Line and mic audio can play together along with Independent play. Has anyone tried having 2 sources of audio on the SainSonic or the Signstek ?

9 hours ago, frosty170 said:

Hope someone can help, I was comparing transmitters I have two projectors that I will have sound playing, when I check the comparison chart for the SainSonic Ax it says Independent Line & mic audio only, the wholehouse 3.0 says Line and mic audio can play together along with Independent play. Has anyone tried having 2 sources of audio on the SainSonic or the Signstek ?

I have not with FM transmitters but as long as you have both connected to 1 input, the transmitter does not know the difference.

I was new to LOR last year with it being our first year animated.  The FM transmitter that came with the showtime central package originally worked fine, but after a week barely pushed the signal to the homes next to us.  Searching for different channels available didn't help.  Thoughts or recommendations?

1 hour ago, JPat said:

Thoughts or recommendations?

that is the Whole House Transmitter.....search the forums for reviews.  I had terrible luck with it....threw it away because in good conscious couldn't sell it.  If you look online you can switch it into a higher mode.  There is a little sticker in the battery compartment, remove the sticker and you should see a little switch, move the switch to the other position.  Or you can trim the antenna to the proper length for the desired station.  

Or save yourself the headache and aggravation and switch to one of the ones listed earlier...all cheaper than that Whole House unit.  Honestly, I don't know why LOR still sells that POS.

As the name implies " Whole House Transmitter " only works in the house, not outside. Too many problems with mine somebody gave me so I threw it away and did research " as posted above " and purchased the one I have now.

Tom S

7 hours ago, qberg said:

that is the Whole House Transmitter.....search the forums for reviews.  I had terrible luck with it....threw it away because in good conscious couldn't sell it.  If you look online you can switch it into a higher mode.  There is a little sticker in the battery compartment, remove the sticker and you should see a little switch, move the switch to the other position.  Or you can trim the antenna to the proper length for the desired station.  

Or save yourself the headache and aggravation and switch to one of the ones listed earlier...all cheaper than that Whole House unit.  Honestly, I don't know why LOR still sells that POS.

Thanks, and yeah I am not sure why LOR would sell something that won't perform to their standards.

6 hours ago, TBS99 said:

As the name implies " Whole House Transmitter " only works in the house, not outside. Too many problems with mine somebody gave me so I threw it away and did research " as posted above " and purchased the one I have now.

Tom S

Odd, but will make a change to the above recommended.

JPat, There is some folks that have good luck with the whole house transmitter. I just did not have any luck with the one that was given to me. And after my research, I went with what I thought would work for me.

Tom