Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Python

Cool White LED 100 Count

I'm having no luck finding 100 count, LED cool white lights in any store.  The most basic LEDs there are. All anyone has is either 200 count or warm white. Home Depot has every other color but cool white in 100 count. Did I miss the memo about warm white pushing out cool white this year? Anyone have any luck finding any? 

Thanks, but those are white wire. I should have specified green. And Walmart doesn't have them either. Target has 70 count but they're always overpriced. 

I'll find one! Perfect. Thanks. Still don't know why all the other stores don't carry them any more. 

I've had nothing but bad luck with the lights from Ace. Even the sealed ones die after a season or two.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Do you have a Big Lots near you?   Cool White LED Mini Light Set, 120-Count in their stores....  I know it's 20 more than you're looking for.. but they've got green wire!!! 

Not sure how good/bad they are, I've never used their brand... 

Edited by Scooter1

Hey Python, was on Mercari, it's a buy,sell app...a gal in Texas has 100ct Bright White LED, green wire. Purple Lady was the screen name. Not sure how many sets are avail. $6 ea, brand new

Past few years I've found cool white green wire at Walmart GE brand. Lowes may be a good bet if Walmart isn't selling them anymore.

My display is purple and cool white. There is a very good reason for this. At the time, no one put up lights for Halloween, so they easily could be had at 90% by November. Cool white was the same way. For whatever reason, Warm white wasn't really a thing, and people were reluctant to buy cool because of how non traditional it looked. Now that Warm white is more of an option, cool white remains a common clearance find. Brick and mortar stores don't want to stock such things and risk selling at a loss. Since many have the option of site to store, they figure that's a better option for them. It took Walmart YEARS to stock purple LEDs again, for either holiday. And even now, if you want M5s, you're going to have to look for the white wire Christmas ones. Last year, I saw so many cool white AND multi color LEDs on clearance at Walmart that it was sad.

Edited by UmmYeahOk

I found some at Lowe's yesterday and bought every one they had. Maybe I started looking too early? But I agree with the poster above that cool white now seems to be fading away. I bought a box of warm white just to see what they looked like. They're definitely different but far from looking anything like incandescent, which I still have quite a few if in my display. You just can't duplicate that glow. 

On 10/18/2017 at 12:10 AM, UmmYeahOk said:

My display is purple and cool white. There is a very good reason for this. At the time, no one put up lights for Halloween, so they easily could be had at 90% by November. Cool white was the same way. For whatever reason, Warm white wasn't really a thing, and people were reluctant to buy cool because of how non traditional it looked. Now that Warm white is more of an option, cool white remains a common clearance find. Brick and mortar stores don't want to stock such things and risk selling at a loss. Since many have the option of site to store, they figure that's a better option for them. It took Walmart YEARS to stock purple LEDs again, for either holiday. And even now, if you want M5s, you're going to have to look for the white wire Christmas ones. Last year, I saw so many cool white AND multi color LEDs on clearance at Walmart that it was sad.

19 hours ago, Python said:

I found some at Lowe's yesterday and bought every one they had. Maybe I started looking too early? But I agree with the poster above that cool white now seems to be fading away. I bought a box of warm white just to see what they looked like. They're definitely different but far from looking anything like incandescent, which I still have quite a few if in my display. You just can't duplicate that glow. 

It seems like the average (non-enthusiast type) person doesn't know the difference between cool and warm white.  I've seen many instances where someone bought a couple strings of cool white and used them mixed with incandescent clear (probably to replace an old set that died).  It really looks terrible!  Maybe there are more warm white lights to cater to the people who put up all clear bulb lights.  On the other hand it also looks bad to mix warm white (or incandescent clear) lights with some of the LED colors because they really clash.

TED

On 10/19/2017 at 5:32 AM, TED said:

It seems like the average (non-enthusiast type) person doesn't know the difference between cool and warm white.  I've seen many instances where someone bought a couple strings of cool white and used them mixed with incandescent clear (probably to replace an old set that died).  It really looks terrible!  Maybe there are more warm white lights to cater to the people who put up all clear bulb lights.  On the other hand it also looks bad to mix warm white (or incandescent clear) lights with some of the LED colors because they really clash.

TED

Man isn't that the truth. I see it all the time and it looks bad. You're right, the average joe doesn't notice some of the things we do.

Edited by mwalz

I haven’t seen it done in a while, but, yeah, I’d see a bunch of warm white on a house, either incandescent or LED (can’t tell from the curb, and then like one single strand of cool white, may it be one net lights, or one icicle, or even one wrapped around the trunk of a tree with the other warm white. 99% of the time they remain like that all season. Like, it wasn’t worth the effort to return it for the correct color

I once has a neighbor who decorated his entire house with warm white incandescents. He decided to purchase C9 LEDs for the roof. He was already up on the ladder putting up the first string when I noticed the box, which was the same familiar green box Home Depot sells every year. So I asked him if he was aware that all these boxes were cool white. He didn’t know there was a difference between the two, but when he realized what color they were going to be (why would you not test the string first?) he took them all back and got incandescent white

On 10/19/2017 at 5:32 AM, TED said:

On the other hand it also looks bad to mix warm white (or incandescent clear) lights with some of the LED colors because they really clash.

TED

I disagree. I mean, almost always they look terrible, but I once saw a glorious professional display where both were mixed evenly. Like, whatever had warm white had an equal amount of cool mixed in with it, never separate. Looked amazing, like silver and gold. It was beautiful, but sadly, the ONLY example I have seen where this worked.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, Python said:

I bought a box of warm white just to see what they looked like. They're definitely different but far from looking anything like incandescent, which I still have quite a few if in my display. You just can't duplicate that glow. 

I have one strand that I got on clearance about a decade ago. This was back when warm white was not only unheard of, but they didn’t even label the boxes. The string I got was pretty much in between cool and warm, meaning that it didn’t match anything at all! But when my mom slowly went to LEDs, I restrung some indoor decor that sat on the mantle next to an incandescent tree. It matched, but if I were to replace burnt out strings in her tree, they definitely wouldn’t match. 

What I don’t get is multi LEDs. How hard is it to take warm white LEDs, and then use the plastic colored covers? I have yet to see a manufacturer do this.

Edited by UmmYeahOk

On 11/5/2017 at 4:13 PM, UmmYeahOk said:

I once has a neighbor who decorated his entire house with warm white incandescents. He decided to purchase C9 LEDs for the roof. He was already up on the ladder putting up the first string when I noticed the box, which was the same familiar green box Home Depot sells every year. So I asked him if he was aware that all these boxes were cool white. He didn’t know there was a difference between the two, but when he realized what color they were going to be (why would you not test the string first?) he took them all back and got incandescent white

I disagree. I mean, almost always they look terrible, but I once saw a glorious professional display where both were mixed evenly. Like, whatever had warm white had an equal amount of cool mixed in with it, never separate. Looked amazing, like silver and gold. It was beautiful, but sadly, the ONLY example I have seen where this worked.

<--------snip-------->

What I don’t get is multi LEDs. How hard is it to take warm white LEDs, and then use the plastic colored covers? I have yet to see a manufacturer do this.

That neighbor of yours has class!  I have not seen warm and white mixed in the way that you describe.  I'll try to remain open minded about it.  ;)  As for plastic covers on multi LEDs...you can buy "combo clips" (at www.christmas-leds.com)which are a plastic cover in various colors for the light with a built in clip for attaching to a wireframe.  However, I don't think the color is as "good" as colored LEDs.  On the other hand if you use them on warm white as you describe it might produce colors that are closer to incandescent colors.

TED

Edited by TED

On 11/8/2017 at 12:46 AM, TED said:

That neighbor of yours has class!  I have not seen warm and white mixed in the way that you describe.  I'll try to remain open minded about it.   

My neighbor was the guy who was going to line his roof with cool white LEDs, when everything else on his property was warm white until I brought it to his attention. 

When I said “professional display,” it truly was. A nearby town claims itself as the Christmas capital of Texas. I really don’t understand what makes it a big tourist destination other than being near an airport, but they have two very HUGE resorts. One of these is host to various holiday activities, but outside is decorated like crazy! It is here where I saw the warm and cool white together. Separate, ewe, together, gorgeous! This was years ago, but they still do it. Surprised that I haven’t seen it done elsewhere since. It’s essentially what I do with my house, only I use purple instead of warm white. This gives it a sugar plum effect rather than a creepy “those light are for Halloween” look.

Edited by UmmYeahOk