Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
dchackert

Mega tree power

I did my first egg tree last year and definitely winged it. It's 10 feet tall and I used a lot of of dead old light strands as extension cords to get all my lights powered back to the 4 power strips in the middle. I've seen a few pics on here but looking to see how you different you masters have done it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

I do 10’ mega trees with 16 strands of lights on each one. One string goes up to the top and back down again, so it looks like I have 32 strands. I ziptie each end to a ring on the ground and then I just connect 8 sets in one direction end to end, and 8 sets in the other direction end to end. Then plug the remaining two male plugs into an ext cord and call it good. Never had any trouble with popping fuses or anything else. 8 sets doesn’t exceed the 3amp fuse rating. A kill-a-watt meter is a must for any decorator IMO. Good luck!

My tree is about 23’ tall and curently has 128 strands of lights, 32 channels, and a 3 channel topper. 

I use 12 lengths of clothesline with snap hooks on the bottom and carabiners on the top to make "master strands" each containing a 70 count string of of Red,  Green,  Blue, and White LED lights plus a string with 3 C9 randomly spaced sockets for strobe lights (not shown in this older picture) and three of the 12 strings also contain an extension cord to feed the three channels of the star on the top. The 3 LOR 16 channel controllers that make up the 48 channels that feed the LED's in the strands mount on the mast pipe with 12 multiconductor cables with 4 circuit outlet boxes on the ends to power the strands. The tree is almost 30 feet high and the bottom ring is made of 4 - 10 foot lengths of 3/4 PVC conduit fitted (not glued) together so it can be taken apart for storage. The stand itself is telescopic and collapsible. For the past few years I now have it mounted on top of the shipping container. Here's a few older photos of it. I now use a triple star made with led ropelight on a welded frame.387541020_MegatreeFull.thumb.JPG.03e527ac6ece9df2b2ebdba93b5c7e61.JPG1099331621_MegatreeBaseFrontView.thumb.JPG.cda9f05a583a7282071a5e4769360ef6.JPG187586960_MegatreeQuadReceptacleBox.thumb.JPG.cc78c81d2a65fb140fcb5a5716ef7189.JPG1727440498_MegatreeLORControllerOpen.thumb.JPG.5cd046e7e67465dcc8b7a6a7ab56748d.JPG344851544_MegatreeInsideLookingUp.thumb.JPG.a7b6e443d9d934bc19164d8deccd7217.JPG

• Like 2

I have 128 strings plus two more for the star, just use SPT cord.  (my lights are all LED so no current issues here)