Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
RichardG

GFP Closing

Way cool to see just how much equipment is there.   I wonder how long it will take to get the "Lot" listing complete.  Now that they are showing what is available, it will be interesting to see how it breaks down into auction lots.

4 hours ago, Bolwin said:

Thanks for posting this!

This is a sight to see.  I have never seen any molds before and I was hoping to see what they looked like.  It certainly looks like there are many big molds on the top shelves, looking all the way down the aisle.

image.jpeg

Edited by donna123

The large Aluminum mold are used in the mold machine like #24 or #28 (Milacron) in the above flyer. Hears a link to a YouTube using a large blow mold machine that is very similar.

• Like 2

The auctioneers have now listed the lots for the auction.  The molds are Lots 639 - 691.   Most are grouped together and not sold as individual molds.  Several are listed as "UNKNOWN" so, sorry Mel,  that won't help with any identifications.  Most are just listed as "SantaS" or "SnowmEn" in a lot of 12 molds.  For instance -  Lot #654:  1 (LOT) ASSORTED CANDLE MOLDS  or #662 which is really bad it is simply: 10 ALUMINUM BLOW MOLDS ON RACK: UNKNOWN .
The listing is PDF, here is the link:  

https://secure-s3.serverdata.com/www.cia-auction.com/files/auction_catalogs/Genera Foam Day 1 Lot List NEW1.pdf

I sure hope they do not end up as scrap.  They could even be used as a base for a glass top table, definitely would be a great conversation piece. 

Edited by WLND-DAVID
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WLND-DAVID said:

The auctioneers have now listed the lots for the auction.  The molds are Lots 639 - 691.   Most are grouped together and not sold as individual molds.  Several are listed as "UNKNOWN" so, sorry Mel,  that won't help with any identifications.  Most are just listed as "SantaS" or "SnowmEn" in a lot of 12 molds.  For instance -  Lot #654:  1 (LOT) ASSORTED CANDLE MOLDS  or #662 which is really bad it is simply: 10 ALUMINUM BLOW MOLDS ON RACK: UNKNOWN .
The listing is PDF, here is the link:  

https://secure-s3.serverdata.com/www.cia-auction.com/files/auction_catalogs/Genera Foam Day 1 Lot List NEW1.pdf

I sure hope they do not end up as scrap.  They could even be used as a base for a glass top table, definitely would be a great conversation piece. 

I think many of the lots can be identified at some level based on the descriptions and using the knowledge of people here.  Man, I hope someone buys these and if they don’t decide to make them now, then maybe at a later date.

3 hours ago, WLND-DAVID said:

Thanks for posting!

So many molds and so little time left. :( 

We need a hero to swoop in and buy them, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

I noticed in Lot #683 there's a mold called Season's Greetings.  I wonder if that is the Empire scroll blow mold or the Dapol one with Santa's face.  I guess it could mean the Snowman with the season's greetings sign, but that would probably be listed as "Snowman"

Edited by donna123

Thanks for posting!
So many molds and so little time left.  
We need a hero to swoop in and buy them, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!
I noticed in Lot #683 there's a mold called Season's Greetings.  I wonder if that is the Empire scroll blow mold or the Dapol one with Santa's face.  I guess it could mean the Snowman with the season's greetings sign, but that would probably be listed as "Snowman"

No saving them now. Auction company has already taken over and stated that with the auction being advertised they will now go through with it fully.

That’s referring to the Seasons Greetings Snowman that GF has been producing the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, RichardG said:

No saving them now. Auction company has already taken over and stated that with the auction being advertised they will now go through with it fully.

That’s referring to the Seasons Greetings Snowman that GF has been producing the last couple of years.

I know the auction is in full swing at this point, I was just hoping that the molds would be saved from the scrap guys.  

Just a general question......how can a mold be unknown??   Can't you just open it and see what it is?? 

Edited by donna123

5 hours ago, donna123 said:

I know the auction is in full swing at this point, I was just hoping that the molds would be saved from the scrap guys.  

Just a general question......how can a mold be unknown??   Can't you just open it and see what it is?? 

Donna, the problem there is that GF has bought many molds through the years when you consider they bought the Beco molds from MSL Industries in early 1970 and they bought the Empire molds and factory in 2000.  When they purchased the Empire molds they apparently also bought some if not all of the Bayshore, Dapol, Lidco, Poloron and Santa's Best molds as it is known fact that Empire made blow molds from some of each of these companies molds.  With some of the companies molds passing from company to company it would be easy for the identification to get lost if a good inventory was not kept in each company.  A few of us have seen pictures of the inside of a couple of the unknown molds and we can identify what they are and that is because we are collectors and study the history and recognize them, they are originally from the 1960's and early 1970's and the auction company and GF management apparently do not have access to anyone who has information on the older molds.  I am pretty sure that they would have some molds there that we would not recognize and have information on either.

Mel

1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

Donna, the problem there is that GF has bought many molds through the years when you consider they bought the Beco molds from MSL Industries in early 1970 and they bought the Empire molds and factory in 2000.  When they purchased the Empire molds they apparently also bought some if not all of the Bayshore, Dapol, Lidco, Poloron and Santa's Best molds as it is known fact that Empire made blow molds from some of each of these companies molds.  With some of the companies molds passing from company to company it would be easy for the identification to get lost if a good inventory was not kept in each company.  A few of us have seen pictures of the inside of a couple of the unknown molds and we can identify what they are and that is because we are collectors and study the history and recognize them, they are originally from the 1960's and early 1970's and the auction company and GF management apparently do not have access to anyone who has information on the older molds.  I am pretty sure that they would have some molds there that we would not recognize and have information on either.

Mel

I was just thinking that if an unknown mold was opened they would be able to tell, generally, if it's a lamp post vs pumpkin vs snowman....you know what I mean.  I completely understand that they may not know the history or who actually made the mold because too much time has passed and unfortunately they had terrible inventory records.  

Even if they opened an old mold and showed you the inside I know that you would be able to identify it's general shape.  Whether it's a santa or snowman or haunted house you would know from the shape.  You may have never seen that one before, but you would know what it was supposed to be.  That's why this unknown label confuses me.

Possibly it's because they are not opening the molds and are only using the information that is on the outside of them, if that is the case I can understand that because their original information said there are 350+ molds and it would take up a lot of man hours just to open and close that many molds.

Mel

8 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Possibly it's because they are not opening the molds and are only using the information that is on the outside of them, if that is the case I can understand that because their original information said there are 350+ molds and it would take up a lot of man hours just to open and close that many molds.

Mel

Yup, you just said what I was thinking.  I have no clue how much these molds weigh and maybe it was too much to open and check.  

I wonder if what we see listed as "lots" is actually what the bidder sees when they bid.  There are no make and model numbers listed on the info from the auctioneer. It just generically states santa or snowman or candle etc.  How does someone bid on a lot without knowing what molds it contains???

Yup, you just said what I was thinking.  I have no clue how much these molds weigh and maybe it was too much to open and check.  
I wonder if what we see listed as "lots" is actually what the bidder sees when they bid.  There are no make and model numbers listed on the info from the auctioneer. It just generically states santa or snowman or candle etc.  How does someone bid on a lot without knowing what molds it contains???

They will be able to attend the auction preview day and be able to walk and look at everything first hand. I plan on being there that day and plan on clearing my phone of pics to take as many as possible.

Wish I could be there depending on what lots they are in there are some I would like to bid on.

7" Frowning smiling trick flashing spook stick

H2005 6" Little Jack flash spook stick

H2040 4" Little Jack spook stick

H2060 6" Dead Mans skull spook stick

I know these are in the auction  and possibly the H2050 6" Cat O Lantern spook stick will be there.  Those would be some of my priorities being from the late 60's through the early 80's.  We have all of those in our collection and it would be great to have the molds they were made from also.

Mel

41 minutes ago, RichardG said:

They will be able to attend the auction preview day and be able to walk and look at everything first hand. I plan on being there that day and plan on clearing my phone of pics to take as many as possible.

It would be great if they had some of the "unknown" molds open so you could take pictures of them.

1 hour ago, RichardG said:

Richard that is fantastic!  I can't wait to see your pics! 

Do you know if the purchasers will be listed after the auction?  I would like to know who purchased them, but I don't know if that is allowed.

Two questions.  What was still being manufactured in Norfolk?  Swimming pools and  toys?  Also, there appear to have been a lot of blow molds left that were recently sold.  I wonder why Menards couldn't get any?  All they had was the Nativity set this past year.   Seems shipping all those from Tarboro to Norfolk would have been expensive.   

5 minutes ago, Empire Fanatic said:

Two questions.  What was still being manufactured in Norfolk?  Swimming pools and  toys?  Also, there appear to have been a lot of blow molds left that were recently sold.  I wonder why Menards couldn't get any?  All they had was the Nativity set this past year.   Seems shipping all those from Tarboro to Norfolk would have been expensive.   

in have seen tons of molds being sold there in the past week or so. Many of them were in plain white. I wonder if anyone scored any plain white big bulbs.....that would be cool!!!

• Like 1

I have a hypothetical question for anyone who may know the answer or just wants to give an opinion......

Back at the end of last year when GFP was looking for buyers they must have had a plan ready to be offered to possible buyers.  This probably would have included everything from land, buildings, inventory, employees and anything else inside the factory ( not sure about debt ). If another plastics company was interested only in the molds, not anything else, wouldn't it make sense to go straight to the auction of the items?  Wouldn't this be a smarter path for them to take rather than taking on all that other expense of an aging building, employees they don't need, etc.  I read about the terms of the sale from Empire to GFP and many things were included like GFP had to agree to a period of time where they would lease the building and a few other conditions I can't remember at the moment.  

My question is....Do you think it would be a smarter, more cost effective move for another plastic company to wait for the auction rather than try to deal with GFP while they were still in business?

( Ok, I'm hoping that Cado or another plastics company will come to the rescue)

Edited by donna123

Wish I could be there depending on what lots they are in there are some I would like to bid on. 7" Frowning smiling trick flashing spook stick

H2005 6" Little Jack flash spook stick

H2040 4" Little Jack spook stick

H2060 6" Dead Mans skull spook stick

I know these are in the auction  and possibly the H2050 6" Cat O Lantern spook stick will be there.  Those would be some of my priorities being from the late 60's through the early 80's.  We have all of those in our collection and it would be great to have the molds they were made from also.

Mel

It would be great if they had some of the "unknown" molds open so you could take pictures of them.

Mel, that’s what I am hoping for as well. Time surely will tell. Lol

Richard that is fantastic!  I can't wait to see your pics!  Do you know if the purchasers will be listed after the auction?  I would like to know who purchased them, but I don't know if that is allowed.

I’m honestly not sure. I plan to watch the auction online so maybe I can get some inside then.

Nothing anymore. Pools where the only thing being made there. Trees went to China and all molds went to Tarboro.

in have seen tons of molds being sold there in the past week or so. Many of them were in plain white. I wonder if anyone scored any plain white big bulbs.....that would be cool!!!

Sadly no bulbs will be white as the plastic was molded the color.

I have a hypothetical question for anyone who may know the answer or just wants to give an opinion...... Back at the end of last year when GFP was looking for buyers they must have had a plan ready to be offered to possible buyers.  This probably would have included everything from land, buildings, inventory, employees and anything else inside the factory ( not sure about debt ). If another plastics company was interested only in the molds, not anything else, wouldn't it make sense to go straight to the auction of the items?  Wouldn't this be a smarter path for them to take rather than taking on all that other expense of an aging building, employees they don't need, etc.  I read about the terms of the sale from Empire to GFP and many things were included like GFP had to agree to a period of time where they would lease the building and a few other conditions I can't remember at the moment.  

My question is....Do you think it would be a smarter, more cost effective move for another plastic company to wait for the auction rather than try to deal with GFP while they were still in business?

( Ok, I'm hoping that Cado or another plastics company will come to the rescue)

If a company just wants the molds they can have them. The factories are really old and would need a lot of renovations lol.

Also, not sure if it’s been mentioned but all the new molds sold within the last couple of years. Peeps. Bulbs. Ornaments. Modern molds. All their molds have been destroyed. So we will never ever see them made again sadly.

10 hours ago, RichardG said:

Also, not sure if it’s been mentioned but all the new molds sold within the last couple of years. Peeps. Bulbs. Ornaments. Modern molds. All their molds have been destroyed. So we will never ever see them made again sadly.

The Peeps I can understand because of licensing restrictions, but why destroy all the others?  

The Peeps I can understand because of licensing restrictions, but why destroy all the others?  

License as well. Something to do with MagicCom which is located on the bottom of the newer molds

1 hour ago, RichardG said:

License as well. Something to do with MagicCom which is located on the bottom of the newer molds

I did a quick look up on MagicCom but didn't see description of the company.  I wonder if they designed the mold itself or maybe the LED timer that was in the blow mold.

I just found some info....One of the things that MagicCom does is take a product and make it more user friendly and more appealing. 

Edited by donna123

I did a quick look up on MagicCom but didn't see description of the company.  I wonder if they designed the mold itself or maybe the LED timer that was in the blow mold.
I just found some info....One of the things that MagicCom does is take a product and make it more user friendly and more appealing. 

I’m really thinking it is the battery light inside of it. Cause the mold isn’t anything magical.

5 minutes ago, RichardG said:

I’m really thinking it is the battery light inside of it. Cause the mold isn’t anything magical.

If it  is the lighting why would the mold have to be destroyed, why couldn't it just be modified for regular lighting if some manufacturing company wanted to do so? It is possible that it could be the lighting but I wonder also if it could possibly be that whoever designed the molds holds the rights to them?  Did the designer patent them?  I know of other molds that the designer applied for and received patents for them in the past.

If it  is the lighting why would the mold have to be destroyed, why couldn't it just be modified for regular lighting if some manufacturing company wanted to do so? It is possible that it could be the lighting but I wonder also if it could possibly be that whoever designed the molds holds the rights to them?  Did the designer patent them?  I know of other molds that the designer applied for and received patents for them in the past.

Someone posted a link on MagicCom. Not sure if same one, but if so the company specializes in making items more appealing or something like that. Knowing their name is stamped on the mold. Maybe it was a partnership. MagicCom sure GF back in 2015. And for the destruction I am just saying what auction co said to me.