Did you know?
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
RichardG

GFP Closing

1 hour ago, WLND-DAVID said:

Donna,

As an example, here is a link to Orbitbid:  https://www.orbitbid.com/    

They are just one of I'm sure several auction houses with websites.   I have bid a couple times with them, even won a few things.  The point is they have the website to get as many bidders as possible, that creates more bids, which generates more money for the seller (and commission for them).  You will notice they show all the lots on the website and encourage bidders to come for inspections of the assets.  In their case, bidding is ONLY done via on-line bidding & payment must be made before pick-ups (no payments can be made at the auction site)  What is nice in this case is that you cannot be sniped like on e-Bay.  They call it Dynamic Bidding. The auction extends for 10 minutes after each bid past the original deadline, allowing active bidding to continue.  If it goes for 10 minutes without a bid, the high bid wins.

David

David, thanks for the link.  I guess there will always be someone selling and someone buying and this certainly seems like a good way to do it.  It would be so awesome if we could see the molds online, but I won't get my hopes up.

Edited by donna123

Ok, this kind of sums up what we've talked about......If they are still working on getting an official list of the molds that could indicate that there was no official list up until now.  
I wonder if it has to be manufacturing businesses only?  It would be funny if someone who owns a deli or a gas station could get into the auction just to watch and find out what happens.
Richard,  WLND-David above says that sometimes the auctioneer has a website that will post what's being auctioned.  Do you know who the auctioneer will be?

Donna, correct. When I asked about an official list that was when they said they were still working on that to send to the auction company. Or they had a list, but let it go for years and now need to update it.

As far as who’s in charge. Haven’t heard yet. Guess it don’t matter. I’m a small business and asked about auction info and was asked questions like how would you manufacture these. Do you have the machines. It’s a lot of money blah blah blah.

So we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, RichardG said:

As far as who’s in charge. Haven’t heard yet. Guess it don’t matter. I’m a small business and asked about auction info and was asked questions like how would you manufacture these. Do you have the machines. It’s a lot of money.......

Thanks Richard, I guess my deli or gas station person won't be able to get into the auction. ;) ..lol

39 minutes ago, RichardG said:

Donna, correct. When I asked about an official list that was when they said they were still working on that to send to the auction company. Or they had a list, but let it go for years and now need to update it.

They do have an inventory book of the molds or at least had one several years ago because I know one person that saw it, they did not get to look in the book but the GF rep they worked with had it and referred to it some when they they were at GF working on putting together a $20,000 order.  If I recall correctly that was in 2008.  Possibly they do need to update it.

Mel

34 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

They do have an inventory book of the molds or at least had one several years ago because I know one person that saw it, they did not get to look in the book but the GF rep they worked with had it and referred to it some when they they were at GF working on putting together a $20,000 order.  If I recall correctly that was in 2008.  Possibly they do need to update it.

Mel

I wonder if that inventory book included all molds or just the molds they would agree to make.  

4 hours ago, donna123 said:

I wonder if that inventory book included all molds or just the molds they would agree to make.  

Needless to say, I don't know what was in the book.  I am guessing that they did not use their catalog number for the molds in the book because it is my understanding that three or four years ago Sidestreet Gallery in Portland, OR wanted to order 1000 of the GF "Wicked Old Witch" with the catalog number and GF didn't know which one they were referring to.  Sidestreet Gallery did make an exclusive purchase of the "Christmas Elf" from the Empire mold in 2012 and sold them through eBay, to my knowledge those were the only Christmas Elf that GF made.  Sidestreet had to purchase 1000 of those for GF to agree to make them.

Here are a few of their elves that are in our collection The Christmas one is in the colors that GF made them, the Witchy Gnomes are Sidestreet repaints.  It is nice to know that they were only made one year and there were not many of them made.  We have another case of the Christmas Elf and another one of the Witchy Gnome in the collection.

Mel

Witchy Gnomes by Sidestreet Gallery Portland, OR.JPG

General Foam Plastics Christmas Elf.jpg

Edited by Mel Fischer

Mel, 

Part of my job as an auditor was walking through warehouses and making sure everything was counted and the quality of the audit was not compromised.  An audit on GFP inventory would be a dream for me!!!  I would love to find out what they actually have vs what they think they have because there are always discrepancies.   

Mel,
I believe they had one as well, but when I asked the guy kind of chuckled and said he had a team finalizing that with the buyout of Empire and some molds from other places. It could of been a long detailed no I’m not giving it to you. Instead of the short answer lol

Mel, 
Part of my job as an auditor was walking through warehouses and making sure everything was counted and the quality of the audit was not compromised.  An audit on GFP inventory would be a dream for me!!!  I would love to find out what they actually have vs what they think they have because there are always discrepancies.   

Oh that sounds fun. I’d love to be able to attend the auction just to see the stuff in person. But doubt that will happen. Oh well, one can dream right? Lol

I was at the Norfolk Plant on Oct 26. The ladies at the plant said they had a buyer for the Halloween pale molds from Michigan. They also used a large part of the warehouse to store pond liners and other things for their sister company Beckett Corp. I got a small tour of the plant from a gentleman that worked at the plant for over 30 years. He showed me around and said he had made the last blow mold on Oct 13,2017. The four workers I talked to had all worked at the plant for over 30+years each. I just hope they were all able to find good paying work. Attached are some pictures.

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scott, thanks for posting the pics!

***Just in case anyone is interested, I found a YouTube video from Sept 17, 2013 where the President of GFP is interviewed for about 20 minutes.  His name is Mike Fick and he talks about everything on how they do business everyday.  It was surreal to watch knowing what has now transpired with GFP.  What the heck happened between 2013 and 2017???

"Manufacturing in America- Still in style at General Foam Plastics"

Interview was done for Hampton Rds Business Live

• Thanks 1

Yes Scott, thank you for posting the pictures and information.  This is the kind of information that I like to find and record on the history of the blow mold manufacturers, the date Oct 13, 2017 will definitely be filed as the day the last blow mold was produced by General Foam in hopes that many years from now there might be someone that has the interest in the blow mold history like I do and will be happy to know the day they made their last one.  Do you have any other pictures of the warehouse?  If so, they would be of interest to the few blow mold historians that are still around.

Does anyone else have any pictures of the GF factory or warehouses?

Mel

• Thanks 1

Scott, thanks so much for the additional pics!  

Edited by donna123

I net that place would be scary at 3am, no lights on...boy, if the walls could talk...it would be eerie to heAR what they would say. Imagine the stories,gossip and employee talk you would hear...it would be interesting to see the blowmold machine(s) in production,just to see a santa pop out in its raw form..to see the employee paint...and what ,through the eyes of QC the, critiqing ...it would be SOO cool ro see the production of these products

2 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

I net that place would be scary at 3am, no lights on...boy, if the walls could talk...it would be eerie to heAR what they would say. Imagine the stories,gossip and employee talk you would hear...it would be interesting to see the blowmold machine(s) in production,just to see a santa pop out in its raw form..to see the employee paint...and what ,through the eyes of QC the, critiqing ...it would be SOO cool ro see the production of these products

no kidding, like I said in other posts I'm sure each piece had a story to tell, I would love to hear the news that the plant had been bought and will resume production, this might end some of the Down spirits that have followed the closing 

3 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

Picture a twilight zone episode where after everyone is gone all the blow molds come to life....spooky 👀

Sad to see but unfortunately not all that surprising. Just not enough popularity anymore, I must admit that my ~100 or so molds do take up a lot of my basement which a lot of people just won't dedicate to Christmas decorations , nonetheless I always bought 3-5 new molds a year to try keep GF going. A lot of mold collectors doomed GF with reluctance to accept the paint/quality which IMO was still more than acceptable but obviously not Empire level and refused to buy GF products. Would be nice to still have them around rather than nothing. RIP GF and new molds, will proudly display my GF for next 40 years or so god willing.

Even the empire plastic was better quality than general foam. Big difference if you put the 2 together and light it up. Really shows on the white in the snowman. Still didn’t deter me from buying their product but it could have been made with much better quality 

Scott, awesome pics. If you only seen the latest pics to hit the floor. A lot of unpainted molds are now hitting the floor. Sample pic below. Unofficial rumor is now sale ends 1/28. Not sure if that’s true.

Also, another company did in fact buy the molds for the Halloween pails. Also someone purchased the tree line and pool line.

And the current president and CEO is Bill Arnold

5c871027f7e7c8bbec750c96c1017809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Triangle Business Journal had an interview with the current CEO on August 17, 2017.  Here is a clip from the article which is something we have talked about.....

image.jpeg.62a95683d8dd9c37db4d6fc02fe31757.jpeg

• Like 1

The Triangle Business Journal had an interview with the current CEO on August 17, 2017.  Here is a clip from the article which is something we have talked about.....
image.jpeg.62a95683d8dd9c37db4d6fc02fe31757.jpeg

And both building did need work. The Tarboro factory had a couple fires last year and even a flood the summer before.

8 hours ago, RichardG said:

And both building did need work. The Tarboro factory had a couple fires last year and even a flood the summer before.

Fires and flood....I hope insurance covered that clean-up!  

I read that this factory in Tarboro was the Empire factory originally.  Is that true? 

Just a thought.......Do you think this closing will be the end of SeasonsLA?  Weren't they a huge part of GFP's sales?

Edited by donna123

3 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Yes, General Foam bought Empire and the Tarboro factory in 2000 after Empire went bankrupt.

Mel

Empire Of Carolina Announces Sale Of Tarboro Facility_ - Free Online Library (Cropped).jpg

Empire Fanatic (Empire Info Posted on PC 9-11-08.doc

Thanks Mel, I think I just forgot about that.

Btw~ I forgot to ask you why did Sidestreet Gallery repaint the Gnomes?  The difference in the Gnomes face with the repaint is astonishing considering the original cherry cheeked face.  Have you tried to light it?

Edited by donna123

The ones they repainted had somewhat poor paint jobs, weepy eyes, etc.  We really like the repaints, my wife wants to set the seven up as the seven dwarf miners, with the new colors they look like they could be miners at the end of the working day.  I am trying to find some different miniature tools for them like a pic axe different shovels, a wheel barrow etc.  We did light one and it looked pretty good.  We also have an extra case of the original painted ones to see what we might come up with for them.

Mel

• Like 1