Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
RichardG

GFP Closing

24 minutes ago, RichardG said:

Someone posted a link on MagicCom. Not sure if same one, but if so the company specializes in making items more appealing or something like that. Knowing their name is stamped on the mold. Maybe it was a partnership. MagicCom sure GF back in 2015. And for the destruction I am just saying what auction co said to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen the lists with the "Destroy" after those molds and I have wondered why they even have them in the lists if they are to be destroyed.  I do not doubt that they will probably be destroyed so why put them in the list at all.

Mel

I have seen the lists with the "Destroy" after those molds and I have wondered why they even have them in the lists if they are to be destroyed.  I do not doubt that they will probably be destroyed so why put them in the list at all.
Mel

I wondered that as well. Why even include it. Sadly who the heck knows. This company has done a lot that raises questions that even they couldn’t answer.

When I spoke to someone in the company, they said specifically that sales and demand has nothing to do with it!  They've been selling their products very well in stores.  They only thing is that the investors decided not to invest with them.  If the company has lasted for 60+ years, that means they've done very well. That's what I heard when I was talking with them!  

5 hours ago, sathya44 said:

When I spoke to someone in the company, they said specifically that sales and demand has nothing to do with it!  They've been selling their products very well in stores.  They only thing is that the investors decided not to invest with them.  If the company has lasted for 60+ years, that means they've done very well. That's what I heard when I was talking with them!  

They were NOT doing very well according to their CEO Bill Arnold in an August 17, 2017 Triangle Business Journal article that says they were losing money for years.

image.png.d03a4038a1d164e75f292a4b3081210c.png

29 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Oh really? Huh. Most companies go out of business because of low sales not because the investors decided not to invest in the company. 

No seriously!  I heard that when I was talking to them!  They told me that specifically!

Whoever you talked to might have told you that but it was the CEO of the company who said in the article they had been losing money for years.  I personally will take the word of the company CEO before any other person from the company.  They probably lost the investors because they did not have the sales to produce a return on the investors  investments.

It may be that they were cash flow positive (i.e., they had more gross revenue more than expenses), but on the books they were losing money due to depreciation on the machinery, furnishings, and building.

The poor condition of the building may be another factor that caused them to close. If the building requires expensive refurbishment, the investors may have decided that the cost to refurbish the building wasn't a good investment. The cost to relocate the machinery to another building and set up production there was likely high enough that it made no sense.

Whatever the actual causes, it's closed. The Auction is March 6, 2018. Hopefully, the molds will be saved and get into the hands of people who can do things with them.

I will also say the CEO is not a employee of GF, but hired by the owners from a third party. He was hired to do exactly what he’s doing...kill the company. A worker verified that with me that the other day.

It doesn't really matter anymore why they closed their doors now that it has been done, apparently the owners decided they did not want the company anymore and so when they could not sell it they closed and shut it down.  The CEO was still employed and paid by the company if he was hired by owners to close it down.  Non-owners of the company could not hire someone to come in and close the company down without the companies owners agreeing to it.

Feel free to correct if I am wrong about that.

Mel

Mel,
You’re right. The closing has been done. Nothing we can do to fix that. Now we hope that the molds get bought by companies with intent to make them. Lots of scrappers will be on hand. They auction company said the molds will sell as theirs been lots of calls about them. Sad reality is, we just may lose some more history as we know it. :(

Richard, I think the average blow mold collector including myself has already lost a lot of the history and will never see it return in our lifetime.  All the big well known manufacturers are now gone and even if someone buys the GF molds we will never see blow molds in the stores like they were in the 70's through the early 2000's again.  The stores do not want to take up the shelf / floor space for them anymore and the prices have gotten so high that the average decorator will put their money into other lower cost decorations.  A good example is to look at the Gemmy blow molds that Lowes had last Christmas and how many complained about the high prices at $39.99 each and they either could not afford them or would not buy them for other reasons.

Mel you’re correct. Even if they saw new molds from GF in stores or even the Cado molds they complained about the cost and waiting for them to go 50%

16 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Richard, I think the average blow mold collector including myself has already lost a lot of the history and will never see it return in our lifetime.  All the big well known manufacturers are now gone and even if someone buys the GF molds we will never see blow molds in the stores like they were in the 70's through the early 2000's again.  The stores do not want to take up the shelf / floor space for them anymore and the prices have gotten so high that the average decorator will put their money into other lower cost decorations.  A good example is to look at the Gemmy blow molds that Lowes had last Christmas and how many complained about the high prices at $39.99 each and they either could not afford them or would not buy them for other reasons.

Mel I have been following the sales of remaining molds on social media, and even participated in a pretty big purchase. Example, last week I sent a buyer with cash to purchase 20 of the big bulbs for $2 each, a few days later they were .50 cent each. I have seen pics where during clean outs they have uncovered lost items like the halloween haunted house molds, etc (really cool to see, watching what lost treasures they find next is pretty cool too)  You are 100% right about possibly never seeing certain molds in stores because once they are gone...they are gone. I have also watched ALOT of new ebay listings pop up for the unpainted molds all listed as RARE, Once of a kind, Last one, etc. Even though the prices are outrageous I kinda want one of the pearl white nativity sets...

Mel I have been following the sales of remaining molds on social media, and even participated in a pretty big purchase. Example, last week I sent a buyer with cash to purchase 20 of the big bulbs for $2 each, a few days later they were .50 cent each. I have seen pics where during clean outs they have uncovered lost items like the halloween haunted house molds, etc (really cool to see, watching what lost treasures they find next is pretty cool too)  You are 100% right about possibly never seeing certain molds in stores because once they are gone...they are gone. I have also watched ALOT of new ebay listings pop up for the unpainted molds all listed as RARE, Once of a kind, Last one, etc. Even though the prices are outrageous I kinda want one of the pearl white nativity sets...

Don,
I was there when your guy bought the 3 pallets and everyone’s mind was the same. Either this guy is going to have an awesome display. No way they are all for him. And eBay seller lol. I can’t wait to see what you do with them.
Also, I wish I could have bought them at $.50 a piece. I was there when that price was thrown and I’m there thinking I’m about to walk away from this deal cause I have no dang room lol.
You’re on BMN so I assume you saw the post as to why they went to that price...
Regarding the Nativity sets. I bought the 3 piece pearl from them for $10. It’s completing the set that’s going to kill me. Lol.
And a lot of gems have come out of Tarboro. Man the unpainted SB Tigger and Pooh. The 2 one of a kind unmarked Empire molds that nobody has info on either.

3 hours ago, RichardG said:

Don,
I was there when your guy bought the 3 pallets and everyone’s mind was the same. Either this guy is going to have an awesome display. No way they are all for him. And eBay seller lol. I can’t wait to see what you do with them.
Also, I wish I could have bought them at $.50 a piece. I was there when that price was thrown and I’m there thinking I’m about to walk away from this deal cause I have no dang room lol.
You’re on BMN so I assume you saw the post as to why they went to that price...
Regarding the Nativity sets. I bought the 3 piece pearl from them for $10. It’s completing the set that’s going to kill me. Lol.
And a lot of gems have come out of Tarboro. Man the unpainted SB Tigger and Pooh. The 2 one of a kind unmarked Empire molds that nobody has info on either.

Out of that purchase I got 20 bulbs, and a few random pieces. I hope to have someone go back for me soon, and take $500 and spend it all up there. 

If I manage to get a buyer to go for me , very little of it will go in my display, but I also maintain a few of my senior citizen neighbors displays and ill find a spot for it in one of their yards, and trade off the rest. I have a lady coming from Wisconsin with a set of Dickens type carolers one day this week. They will also be used in a neighbors yard. Yes I'm on BMN and really enjoy seeing the pics and hearing about the awesome yard sale finds. (there is a couple of real cry babies on their too)  I'm hoping to track down a seller on there with the pearl white set if I don't get a set directly from GF on my buyers next trip. I would pay $50 for a set and not bat an eye, but if I can get them from GF for $10 a set...I'll take 5 sets lol. I honestly would like to round up a truck load of molds and take them to the Darlington flea market later in the year, Christmas and Halloween decorations are few and far between down there. As for eBay, that's always my run to place when I can't find something,and yes I pay out the rear for it, but you gotta do what ya gotta do...and when the seniors in my neighborhood put in their "suggestions" for their displays it's *Non-negotiable* lol, so its eBay or bust. 

My bulb project is having a hard time seeing life, due to the weight, they were supposed to make an arch over my driveway with 30 bulbs all retro fitted with full sized led floods and linked to my Light O Rama program, but even with 2 inch PVC it still wants to sag and not hold a rigid form, (there is also 48 strands of lights on this arch as well as the bulbs) possibly gonna try 1 1/2 conduit but if it comes down to having to use concrete to keep it straight and safe for spectators I may scrap that idea and use them as a border fence between my property and my neighbors, last year I used the big candy canes and got alot of positive feedback. Keep me posted on your next trip and what all you find, share pics here as well. Don

On 2/17/2018 at 8:27 AM, donna123 said:

The Peeps I can understand because of licensing restrictions, but why destroy all the others?  

Donna I'm not sure if it's the same situation or not, but a few years ago I worked for Michelin tire, and they produced a tire for a customer and that tire was exclusive on their vehicle. We were not allowed to service the mold, or adjust it in any way. Once the prototype tires were made and the exclusive tire order was filled, they hired us to disassemble the molds and destroy it, every piece had to be recorded, cut in 4 pieces and bagged. Every pin, and nut and bolt had to be accounted for. PS it takes a 11,000 lb mold to make a tire, so the GF molds may get a little heavy, I wouldn't think they would be that heavy but depending on how they are built, they may be awkward to open and look inside. 

On 2/17/2018 at 4:32 PM, Mel Fischer said:

If it  is the lighting why would the mold have to be destroyed, why couldn't it just be modified for regular lighting if some manufacturing company wanted to do so? It is possible that it could be the lighting but I wonder also if it could possibly be that whoever designed the molds holds the rights to them?  Did the designer patent them?  I know of other molds that the designer applied for and received patents for them in the past.

I posted this on Donna question, it may be the same situation                       

I'm not sure if it's the same situation or not, but a few years ago I worked for Michelin tire, and they produced a tire for a customer and that tire was exclusive on their vehicle. We were not allowed to service the mold, or adjust it in any way. Once the prototype tires were made and the exclusive tire order was filled, they hired us to disassemble the molds and destroy it, every piece had to be recorded, cut in 4 pieces and bagged. Every pin, and nut and bolt had to be accounted for. PS it takes a 11,000 lb mold to make a tire, so the GF molds may get a little heavy, I wouldn't think they would be that heavy but depending on how they are built, they may be awkward to open and look inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Mcabee said:

Donna I'm not sure if it's the same situation or not, but a few years ago I worked for Michelin tire, and they produced a tire for a customer and that tire was exclusive on their vehicle. We were not allowed to service the mold, or adjust it in any way. Once the prototype tires were made and the exclusive tire order was filled, they hired us to disassemble the molds and destroy it, every piece had to be recorded, cut in 4 pieces and bagged. Every pin, and nut and bolt had to be accounted for. PS it takes a 11,000 lb mold to make a tire, so the GF molds may get a little heavy, I wouldn't think they would be that heavy but depending on how they are built, they may be awkward to open and look inside.

Thanks Don,  so the mold to make 1 tire is 11,000 lbs??   Wow!  This gives me an idea on how heavy the molds can be.  

Edited by donna123

29 minutes ago, donna123 said:

Thanks Don,  so the mold to make 1 tire is 11,000 lbs??   Wow!  This gives me an idea on how heavy the molds can be.  

Each mold has dozens of moving parts, each serving a different purpose, once they open inside the press they "flower" open and resemble a morning glory, or a tulip. Once disassembled the parts are cut up with a plasma arch and disposed of. Im gonna guess that the mold for the PEEPS were owned by Cadbury or one of their sister companies (the candy company)  and once GF was not gonna produce them under the guidelines that the owning company set forth, they called for the mold to be destroyed. If not, and another company bought the mold, they would profit from the owning companies images or possibly produce them in a way that may reflect in a negative way on the owning company. *all this is just a guess based on my past encounters with molds*

But, Im pretty sure you can rule out scrap dealers buying the molds for scrao prices, because 1. scrap prices are very low, and 2. Molds are very expensive (some of the tire molds I have dealt with were in the area of 1 million each (car, motorcycle, small SUV) up to 3.5 million for the semi truck, and industrial sized tires. PS, in a good mfg facility a 1 Million dollar mold pays for itself in about 10 weeks...1 tire every 17 minutes, on a 24/7 work week = ALOT OF TIRES!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardG said:

The 2 one of a kind unmarked Empire molds that nobody has info on either.

I am confused because weren't there many molds marked as unknown?  How did these 2 stand out from all the others?  

12 minutes ago, Don Mcabee said:

Each mold has dozens of moving parts, each serving a different purpose, once they open inside the press they "flower" open and resemble a morning glory, or a tulip. Once disassembled the parts are cut up with a plasma arch and disposed of. Im gonna guess that the mold for the PEEPS were owned by Cadbury or one of their sister companies (the candy company)  and once GF was not gonna produce them under the guidelines that the owning company set forth, they called for the mold to be destroyed. If not, and another company bought the mold, they would profit from the owning companies images or possibly produce them in a way that may reflect in a negative way on the owning company. *all this is just a guess based on my past encounters with molds*

But, Im pretty sure you can rule out scrap dealers buying the molds for scrao prices, because 1. scrap prices are very low, and 2. Molds are very expensive (some of the tire molds I have dealt with were in the area of 1 million each (car, motorcycle, small SUV) up to 3.5 million for the semi truck, and industrial sized tires. PS, in a good mfg facility a 1 Million dollar mold pays for itself in about 10 weeks...1 tire every 17 minutes, on a 24/7 work week = ALOT OF TIRES!!!

Thanks for the info, it's really amazing!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, donna123 said:

I am confused because weren't there many molds marked as unknown?  How did these 2 stand out from all the others?  

Thanks for the info, it's really amazing!

I think Richard is referring to a few Prototype blow molds that were found in the cleaning of the factory. I hope he has pics to post. 

I am not a traditional, lawn ornament,  Blow Mold person, my interest are more in the Municipal ones.  (When storage space is limited, choices need to be made.)   So, my small collection includes; 2 Soldiers, 2 Candles a Candy Cane and a dozen of the oversized ornaments I use in some garland.   I am enjoying following this thread.   One thing that is getting difficult to understand is when the word  MOLD  is used.  Some people are using to describe the finished product and some are referring to the metal 'form' used to make them.  I believe the proper name for them would be DIE.         ....... just an observation :unsure:

Don,  I'm not sure the metal dies for the plastic products are as intricate as you describe for tire manufacturing.  They are simple two piece units pressed together, the plastic is heated, lowered in and expanded with air to fill the void.  Then the die is seperated and the plastic is released.   Similar to this bottle making machine:  

Edited by WLND-DAVID
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WLND-DAVID said:

I am not a traditional, lawn ornament,  Blow Mold person, my interest are more in the Municipal ones.  (When storage space is limited, choices need to be made.)   So, my small collection includes; 2 Soldiers, 2 Candles a Candy Cane and a dozen of the oversized ornaments I use in some garland.   I am enjoying following this thread.   One thing that is getting difficult to understand is when the word  MOLD  is used.  Some people are using to describe the finished product and some are referring to the metal 'form' used to make them.  I believe the proper name for them would be DIE.         ....... just an observation :unsure:

Don,  I'm not sure the metal dies for the plastic products are as intricate as you describe for tire manufacturing.  They are simple two piece units pressed together, the plastic is heated, lowered in and expanded with air to fill the void.  Then the die is seperated and the plastic is released.   Similar to this bottle making machine:  

So very true, molds used for tires as opposed to propel based plastic products are totally different, but many same principals. Interesting that you posted and referenced bottle making procedures, I left Michelin making tires to go to work for a company that makes the propel based products to make Powerade, and Coca Cola bottles...my previous employment and mechanical background is why I was able to adjust to well to a totally  different/kind of the same enviroment....small worl