Did you know?
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Sign in to follow this  
ccrowder

Strips vs nodes for adding to house

So I want to add to my house outline this year.  Last year I put C9 style pixels on the roofline but want to add something more this year.  I was thinking of supplementing them with strips beneath and doing windows.  I like the large bulb look of the c9 style pixels but at 8-in spacing there is a fair amount of dead zone between and as I don't have as many pixels per foot less you can do with effects (although helps the budget when trying to convince wife for first year).

My question is would strips be better or nodes in the long run.  Strips are cheaper and give a more continuous 'ribbon' effect since in essence each pixel is 3in wide.  But bullet nodes tend to hold up better but then it is only a single pixel every 3in.  Or should I leave the roof line alone and just do windows with bullet nodes?  Below is a picture so you can see what I am working with from last year.  Main changes is this year will do a mega-tree (well 14ft) with pixels where inflatables are roughly and bulding a department store window face to the single car garage so folks can see Christmas village.  Will probably also ditch the white led icicle lights along the wall since they are really bright and wash out the pixels a bit.  Any other suggestions?

AFiV05Jt4dlQv-ofl_ueIU8VvDOcgH9z4tyQmiN-

you could do nodes and mount them in a mounting strip using 1 inch spacing. This would give you the durability of nodes, and a tighter look similar to a strip. Just use a Boscoyo mounting strip and attached the strip with lights to your house. 

Yeah.. Was thinking of the strips with nodes in them but 1in spacing would be way to much cost wise and power wise for what I can do.  Since the strips and nodes (at 3in) take about the same power it was do I do single node every 3 in or strip (with 3 leds per 3in).  Think I am leaning towards nodes just due to what I have been seeing folks say about strips failing.

I think the strips (in the silicon tubes) look better for outlining, and definitely cheaper.  Problem is, when you get a bad pixel, they are a real pain to get out of and back into the silicon sleeve.  All of my pixel failures appear to have been moisture related, and now I make sure to silicon the heck out of the ends where the wires come out, and I have had no more problems.  Don't get the strips that are just epoxy coated.  The coating turns yellow and cracks pretty quickly in the sunlight.

Edited by DrWizard

If you are looking for the placement and 3 pixel for each color look of 12 v strips, but don't want the fragile issues of strips, use rectangular pixels.  They are a little more but you can zip them to Boscoyo strips end to end and they will be the same as strips BUT..   If one goes out you just cut the wire and splice in another.  They are practically indestructible and 100% waterproof (not just weather proof.