Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
The Blow Mold Expert

Rarest blow mold?

I've been thinking about what is actually the rarest blow mold. If rarity is in how many are still around, it probably comes down to prototypes and the confusing story of the MSL white reindeer made for a brief 13 days, between selling them under the the beco and GF names. The prototypes would include the GV Mrs Claus, the TPI Laughing Santa with no base, the empire country store, the empire witch plaque, empire pumpkin wreath, empire grim reaper, empire evil tree, empire ghost totem, and GF unpainted ghost with pumpkin. Those were prototypes only produced for catalog images. I am fortunate to have the tpi Santa with no base (NFS sorry :)) There are many ALF, mold craft and GP things that are hard to find, but in the grand scheme of things, these are the true one of a kinds. Suddenly the Poloron mechanical Santa doesn't seem so rare. ;)

• Like 3

Im starting to think  a simple santa in sleigh with reindeer is the rarest of all, it most certainly is the most elusive here lately...( at least one I can afford lol) all jokes aside, I would love to know what is the holy grail of blow molds..:lol:

Where did you find the information that the MSL reindeer were only made for 13 days?  If the reindeer were only made for 13 days then the MSL sleigh must have only been made for the same period of time and possibly the Santa for that set only those few days also.  What year did MSL make the reindeer?

Mel

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Where did you find the information that the MSL reindeer were only made for 13 days?  If the reindeer were only made for 13 days then the MSL sleigh must have only been made for the same period of time and possibly the Santa for that set only those few days also.  What year did MSL make the reindeer?

Mel

I got the  information from an old thread. The latest dated beco deer box is August 10th 1968. The earliest GF box is dated August 23 1968. This means they were only made for thirteen days or less. If they are even less than 13, they truly are something special. I've heard the way to tell the MSL reindeer and sleigh from the beco/GF ones are from a bad batch of plastic so thin it is almost celluloid.  The Santa that goes with the set MSL sold under no other name is especially rare. Beco made two sleighs and Santas to go with the set. It was originally a white sleigh with a two peice Santa that parted at the waist. The Santa had no features. The later one is the traditional one, a red sleigh with the one peice Santa we know. The MSL only Santa is the same mold as the early two peice Beco one, but with painted features. When GF started production the common Santa was reintroduced but with gold accents.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, do you have a link to the old thread?  It looks like there might possibly be some misinformation in that thread as Beco was acquired by MSL Industries in November 1965, the acquisition information was published in both the Chicago Tribune and the Wall Street Journal on November 10, 1965.  MSL continued to make several of the Beco blow molds under the MSL name but with "Manufactured by Beco Products" printed on the boxes until July 1968, that is when they changed the printing to "Manufactured by MSL Plastics".  To my knowledge MSL did not put their name on the blow molds, only the boxes.  We have a new pair of the Beco reindeer in their original box, two pair of the MSL reindeer in their original boxes and two pair of the GF reindeer in their original boxes.  The Beco box has the date "9/23/64" printed on it and the two MSL boxes have the date "7/10/68" printed on them.  There are no dates on the GF boxes.

Mel

BecoGenFoamReindeerBoxes.jpg

Beco%20White%20Reindeer%20Box%20Back%209

Beco%20White%20Reindeer%20Box%20Bottom%2

Edited by Mel Fischer

I think these must be pretty rare.  I have never seen them before and although I heard of Borse, I have never heard of Holidays Hues. These are currently on ebay.

image.png

image.png

The Borse snowman has been on eBay a half dozen or so times the last few years, the Borse Santa is also a scarce one.  I have seen one or two of the Holiday Hues one in the past but didn't pay much attention to it so I don't know anything about it.  Here's a link to pictures of the first Borse snowman and Santa that I remember seeing on eBay back on July 5 & 6, 2006, the snowman went for $156.29 plus shipping and the Santa went for $164.36 plus shipping, daffodils won both of them.

http://blow-molded.com/Borse_Plastics___Archive.html

Mel

56 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

The Borse snowman has been on eBay a half dozen or so times the last few years, the Borse Santa is also a scarce one.  I have seen one or two of the Holiday Hues one in the past but didn't pay much attention to it so I don't know anything about it.  Here's a link to pictures of the first Borse snowman and Santa that I remember seeing on eBay back on July 5 & 6, 2006, the snowman went for $156.29 plus shipping and the Santa went for $164.36 plus shipping, daffodils won both of them.

http://blow-molded.com/Borse_Plastics___Archive.html

Mel

Mel, in the description it said Holiday Hues was a local defunct company. They had limited production in Northeastern PA.  At first glance I thought it looked rather modern and figured it was a newer import.  The high bidding got my attention.

The Borse molds are so interesting because of the bumpy looking plastic.  Do you know how many Borse items were made or is it just the 2 snowmen and the santa?

14 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Thanks for the information, do you have a link to the old thread?  It looks like there might possibly be some misinformation in that thread as Beco was acquired by MSL Industries in November 1965, the acquisition information was published in both the Chicago Tribune and the Wall Street Journal on November 10, 1965.  MSL continued to make several of the Beco blow molds under the MSL name but with "Manufactured by Beco Products" printed on the boxes until July 1968, that is when they changed the printing to "Manufactured by MSL Plastics".  To my knowledge MSL did not put their name on the blow molds, only the boxes.  We have a new pair of the Beco reindeer in their original box, two pair of the MSL reindeer in their original boxes and two pair of the GF reindeer in their original boxes.  The Beco box has the date "9/23/64" printed on it and the two MSL boxes have the date "7/10/68" printed on them.  There are no dates on the GF boxes.

Mel

BecoGenFoamReindeerBoxes.jpg

Beco%20White%20Reindeer%20Box%20Back%209

Beco%20White%20Reindeer%20Box%20Bottom%2

The rare deer I'm talking about were made in a brief period between the ones sold under the beco bame and the dateless GF ones. There is a date GF acquired the molds. That is the date I'm going off since there is no date in the boxes. The MSL ones not sold under the beco name are extremely scare. There is no MSL name on the mold, so the box is the only true way to tell if the deer are the ones sold under MSL only. Another less reliable way to tell is the plastic. I've heard towards the end of the beco run production got sloppy. The last plastic batch made under the beco bame was not then put into molds until that brief period that the beco name had been removed, and the deer were produced under only the MSL name. Ive head this batch of plastic was very brittle, especially in the cold. Not many would have survived. The fact they were made only for a thirteen day period makes matters worse. This truly is a mystery. The box dates and names are very confusing. I've interpreted things best I can. I will find the old thread soon. I had the dates written in a notebook. The MSL name only deer you have are very special. They may be the last in existence. Mel, you truly are among the greats of the blow mold collectors. Lol XD . 

Found the link. Turns out it was your thread Mel. Lol. 

Edited by The Blow Mold Expert

Hi Guys,   I'm gonna chime in here concerning the dates on the boxes.  I worked for over a decade in the wholesale candy business and remember the date of the production and/or sell by date was coded on many of the candy wrappers.  It was also common to have it 'ink stamped' on the cases for easy identification when rotating stock and keeping candy fresh on store shelves.   We could never go by the date that was printed on the carton as it was generally put there by the shop making the boxes.   In other words, a case with a date of 11/2015 may have candy that was manufactured in 7/2016.  The date on the box being when it was made and the 'ink stamped' date printed on the side was the manufacture / sell by date of the candy.   They make hundreds of thousands of boxes ahead of time for the candy makers.    I hope that doesn't confuse your reindeer dating...........  

22 hours ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

I got the  information from an old thread. The latest dated beco deer box is August 10th 1968. The earliest GF box is dated August 23 1968. This means they were only made for thirteen days or less. If they are even less than 13, they truly are something special. I've heard the way to tell the MSL reindeer and sleigh from the beco/GF ones are from a bad batch of plastic so thin it is almost celluloid.  The Santa that goes with the set MSL sold under no other name is especially rare. Beco made two sleighs and Santas to go with the set. It was originally a white sleigh with a two peice Santa that parted at the waist. The Santa had no features. The later one is the traditional one, a red sleigh with the one peice Santa we know. The MSL only Santa is the same mold as the early two peice Beco one, but with painted features. When GF started production the common Santa was reintroduced but with gold accents.

This is the set I have. It didn't come with any boxes but do I have the MSL sleigh? 

image.jpeg

That is the early beco set. Not the MLS one but still rarer than the later beco set. I should note there is no difference in the early/late beco deer, just the santa/sleigh.

13 minutes ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

That is the early beco set. Not the MLS one but still rarer than the later beco set. I should note there is no difference in the early/late beco deer, just the santa/sleigh.

I wasn't sure because these deer are very fragile in fact, 2 of them are cracked. I did modify them so they would light up though. 

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, jlknox11 said:

I wasn't sure because these deer are very fragile in fact, 2 of them are cracked. I did modify them so they would light up though. 

image.jpeg

There really is no true way to tell. What you described sounds like MSL... Did you buy the whole set from one person or from multiple people? If they were all bought at once, chances are the original owner bought the whole team with the Santa. If you got the santa from a different seller than the deer, they may be MSL.

This set would be considered a prototype too. It was the prototype empire child nativity from 1996 and had with noticable differences.  There is no AA wiseman, there is one sheep, and a donkey.  The faces are painted different as well.  The manger is completely different form the traditional one.  This was most likely the only one made.

Untitled.png

4 hours ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

There really is no true way to tell. What you described sounds like MSL... Did you buy the whole set from one person or from multiple people? If they were all bought at once, chances are the original owner bought the whole team with the Santa. If you got the santa from a different seller than the deer, they may be MSL.

I bought them all from the same seller. They were a bundle. She did tell me the Santa was purchased seperate. The only feature these deer have that might be a hint on how to tell them apart is, when you take the head off, there's a hump I drilled through it to place the light assembly in. I have seen some beco deer where they're open and you can reach in the body once you take the head off sort of like the Poloron deer here's a phot after I put the light in

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, jlknox11 said:

I bought them all from the same seller. They were a bundle. She did tell me the Santa was purchased seperate. The only feature these deer have that might be a hint on how to tell them apart is, when you take the head off, there's a hump I drilled through it to place the light assembly in. I have seen some beco deer where they're open and you can reach in the body once you take the head off sort of like the Poloron deer here's a phot after I put the light in

image.jpeg

The plastic definitely looks MSL. If it were me those would be indoor only, but then again the Canadian winters where I live are harsh on blow molds, especially the winds. If you do choose to display those outside be careful. If one tips over in the wind it will most likely shatter. I don't mean crack. Shatter. If you have never seen a blow mold shatter it's not something you want to experience. My TPI pumpkin man no longer has a lower jaw. Cold temperatures would make the already poor plastic on those deer more resemblant to paper.  They look beautiful lit. I would display beco deer outdoors but not MSL. Everything you described points to that. Extremely thin plastic, Santa and deer were purchased at different times by original owner... No real way to tell but if I had to guess I would say MSL. Nothing definitive though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

The plastic definitely looks MSL. If it were me those would be indoor only, but then again the Canadian winters where I live are harsh on blow molds, especially the winds. If you do choose to display those outside be careful. If one tips over in the wind it will most likely shatter. I don't mean crack. Shatter. If you have never seen a blow mold shatter it's not something you want to experience. My TPI pumpkin man no longer has a lower jaw. Cold temperatures would make the already poor plastic on those deer more resemblant to paper.  They look beautiful lit. I would display beco deer outdoors but not MSL. Everything you described points to that. Extremely thin plastic, Santa and deer were purchased at different times by original owner... No real way to tell but if I had to guess I would say MSL. Nothing definitive though.

Maybe I should sell a couple of these deer then. They withstood the terrible winds we had this year. 

This is also a prototype.  This sleigh was not meant for a santa and deer team, but to be pulled by a single deer.  The reindeer was produced, but the sleigh was not.  The only one produced was the one in this 1997 catalog photo.  It is 40" tall and manufactured by Santa's Best.

santas best reindeer sleigh.JPG

Idk if this is a rare blow mold but I can't find any manufacturer label on it plus I never seen a Santa blow mold like this one. I picked it up on a after Christmas sale at a second had store and had to redo the lamp and wiring part of it.

0114171511.jpg

3 hours ago, Newbielights86 said:

Idk if this is a rare blow mold but I can't find any manufacturer label on it plus I never seen a Santa blow mold like this one. I picked it up on a after Christmas sale at a second had store and had to redo the lamp and wiring part of it.

0114171511.jpg

That is a holiday Innovations santa. It should say PTN somewhere on it. It is very hard to find the stamp. That is hard to find but it wouldn't be considered "rarest".

12 hours ago, Newbielights86 said:

0114171511.jpg

Could you  post a picture of the back of the Santa?

Mel