Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
JohnOcampo

Non polarized extension cords

I set up some arches at my house.  This is my first year decorating so pm new to this scene.  I never new how big and detailed it was till now.  But anyways on my arches I have the lights wrapped around but there is not enough cord to connect to the next set.  I was wondering am I able to make cords that are NON polarized?  If so how?

Most of us make our own extension cords out of SPT wire and vampire plugs. We don't worry about polarity. Go ahead and make what you need in the length you need them. 

• Like 1

I wanted to use them plugs but with the led light since have 1 of the prongs is wider than the other so the plugs I found won't work to connect in between sets.  I can use them to make individual extensions for each set but that is not what I'm wanting to do.  Now I know I should have started way earlier on this.  Next year I will star early for sure.

Give em a wiggle and a firm push, you can usually get them to enlarge the hole enough and make the connection. Others have carefully cut the sides of the polarized blades off to be the same size as a small blade. It's really not any different than installing a non polarized plug when it comes down to the nitty gritty, but for liability reasons you will probably never find anyone recommend this as a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got any old strings that don't work or don't work well?  Use them as an extension cord.  I have deer traipsing through my yard various times of years.  They get tangled up in the cords, then to pull the lights off bushes, the wires break.  I don't toss them, or at least not the whole string.  I salvage the plugs (both ends) and can run wire between them for a non-polarized extension cord.

I've also trimmed the wide blade of a vampire plug.  Works, but I don't like doing it.  If I did it more often, I'd get better at it, but I generally use the salvaged parts of bad cords if I have to have a non-polarized cord.

Anyone have problems losing power after a long run? Is there a distance that the SPT wire starts to lose some power needed? I have a few vampire plugs and wire that for some reason don't work on the end. I plugged directly into a socket and the light works fine. Could the wire be bad? 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, clong00005 said:

Could the wire be bad? 

my guess is the vampire teeth missed the core of the wire.  Pull the ones that do not work off.  You should be able to see the marks where the teeth punctured the insulation and determine if they weren't lined up correctly.  Or you have the wrong size vampire plug (SPT2 plug on SPT1 wire or visa versa).