Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Help! HELP! Help!  I'm tearing my hair out.  I have purchased LOR control boxes, (working great) I have a brand new computer (all set up with all software loaded)  I have purchased 7 Sequences from Holiday sequences ( loaded on the new laptop) I have purchased 7 mp3 from the links at Holiday sequences off of Amazon.com. they are on the desktop, I can hear each of them play when I click on them.   I have down loaded the sequences on the new lap top.  They are all there. 

How the hell do I get these to work, there is so much info it is mind boggling!  All I want to do is to take those 7 sequences with the mp3 files and get them to do what they are suppose to to make my 4 coro Christmas trees sing.  I have no real idea where to start.  I had a friend over, we were able to verify that the controllers are working trees came on and off as we verified channels.  When we tried to get a sequence going by using the sequence editorv4.2.12 advanced, I press the play button and the message comes up (Cannot start sequence, Cannot find media file;  I see it right there on the desk top,)  I am ready to tear my hair out,  I have invested thousands of dollars this year into making the outdoor experience happen and now I have hit a brick wall. 

Is there anybody out there that can help me get this up and running.  I want to get the 7 sequences and music to play every 1/2 hour from 4:30 -11 pm monday-sunday.  Help!!!!!!

Mike's Creation

Ok, Thank God for this forum, I was able after looking for 2 hours and found a post that really helped me out. I copied it and pasted it in the lap top.  The start of my (bible)  I finally got it running.  Better days and hours are coming.  The best thing is I live a on main road, and my driveway bumps up to a 100 car parking lot.  I have a feeling that it is going to be busy.  I will post picts and video soon! 

Have a little hair left.

Mike

Can't wait to see yours and everyone's displays posted on here. I haven't made the plunge to LOR....yet....I am scared of all the horrified , hairless people that talk on here ,of the hair pulling and newly invented swear words, while working on sequences ,  dimming,fading ect. I am good with static for now. I would have to invent all new cords. I would imagine it's a mile or 2 of cords needed...

Tell you what Big J Illinois, once I had the info I needed, it literally took me 20 minutes to merge the audio files into the sequences (purchased for now, let others do the work) and set up the show.  Ran it in the basement with the trees.  It is amazing.  Between now and Thursday morning the rest of it goes up.  Friday the lights around the gutters went up with much trepidation, seems each time I added a new string, the previous string would have a section go out.  Yes tested and all worked before going out. Got that done and the ice cycles up on Friday.  On Saturday got the Nativity up and lit, although nothing on until  black friday.  Tomorrow, the fence, candy canes, flood lights on the house and the rope lights on the trees go up.  Then Tuesday the ice cycles over the garage doors go up along with the deer, polar bears and bunny along with the total of 5 3 cluster candles that will flank the front stoop and the garage doors.  Then on Thursday morning up go the trees.  Everything to be tested on Thursday Night midnight and then Friday 5 pm the show goes on!

It has been a very rewarding year, to watch my ideas become reality and now to see it outside as I envisioned it.  Already have my plans for next year.  40 Cartoon characters all in their (everyday you know where location)hand drawn on 30" mdf board, painted and sealed for the outdoor Village next year.   6 giant candy canes (8' to flank the driveway) and 6 North pole lights same height.  I will add 2 more shepherds, a few more sheep, a cow, a baby lamb.  Then some wire frame candles that will line the long side of the property that merges with the parking lot. Then joining the singing trees will be 4 singing bells! A choir of 8 and then I have to build more presents for around the singing trees.

Yep a lot to do but you know what, I haven't missed TV at all!  I have a couple of programs that I watch along with Football and Baseball but other than that working on this has been very very educational and a lot of fun.  Expenses kept down by doing a lot of on line shopping, negotiating and talking with local metal shops for their (small scraps) 

I made my portable welding table for 10 bucks.  It is 28 deep by 56 long. On wheels so I can do it outside with an arc blind made out of cotton painter runners with flame retardant treatment that is used on stage curtains. My shop in the basement is 40 long by 18 wide.  I can do just about anything and can get  up to 10' items out of the basement.

I say go for it Big J, no you will not need a ton of cords, put your controllers out in the yard near what you are controlling.  I am locking and securing my controllers to tree trunks 18" dia with steel cable.  Do not anticipate any problems because they will be behind the tree out of eye site from the street.  All surge strips are mounted on presure treated lumber with eye hooks to keep upright with  18" 1/8" steel rod pounded into the ground. Covered over with gallon size zip lock.  Use the zip lock to keep rain and snow out,  it is not water proof but it gives that added extra protection to hopefully keep from tripping any ground fault outlites.  All extension cords are new this year and all connections have a zip  lock bag over the connection and are zip tied up off the ground!  I don't like what the owner of Menards stands for, however, in things that I have needed and their pricing be excellent at times, in a way have to thank Menards for the 11% rebait that they have every 6 weeks or so.  It's through that program that over I have purchased at no cost to me aboutt 1200 of extension cord.  The rest of my cords are zip spt 2.  Watching the sales, I have spent about 250 bucks for over 1000 feet of cord and 75 male and female plugs. Oh one more thing outside of the fence, short candy canes and rope light, my whole display is all led, by my figures the led will be a total of 300 watts and the incasedant end will be 400 watts.  Not bad!

This is a contagious hobby and you can't let it get go crazy with you!  HA HA HA!  I can't wait for the traffic jams, I live on a main road and already alerted the local police dept.  You know what they said?  It's about time someone put Christmas back in this town!  Love it

Mike

Pictures to follow of everything above by friday.

Hey Mike, glad you got everything going!  Yes, it is quite an addiction and just when you think you have everything figured out, something will go wrong and you will be pulling your hair out again.  But that's part of the challenge.  And always keep in mine that people here are a great resource.

Wow, it's August!  What has happened to summer!  Made some repairs to last years display.  Now for this year!  9 new wire frames, 2 more camels, 2 additional shepherds, 2 more sheep, another rabbit, 2 nutcrackers. 4 8' long 24" tall white picket fences with 18 painted Christmas cartoon characters. Going to enhance the sequences I have and add more.

If you go to the Light o rama website go to the support tab and click on the documentation tab then go down to the quick start musical sequences 3/4 down the page and click on that.  Should give you all the info you need.

or this http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/QuickStartGuideMusicalSequence.pdf