Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
uptownguy2000

My repainted 46" snowman

Even though it still had a bit of color left on it, when lighted it looked somewhat terrible from the fading, though I forgot to take photos while lighted. I also accidentally got a small amount over overspray on the feet once; I need to take a quick moment to lightly sand it off. It took a few days to do but only because of my time limitations. There's about twelve hours I put into it I believe. I'd love to make the candycane a two-tone color, the hands into blue mittens and the top-hat ribbon green, but that will remain just a thought.

One photo is out of place. My paint stages were- yellow, red, green, black. I meant to do the black first. I wasn't really sure if I should do the smaller or largest portions first, but it seemed to work out. I also wanted to do the cheeks a bit lighter.

20161111_091531.jpg

20161111_091850.jpg

20161111_120013.jpg

20161115_014301.jpg

20161111_135859.jpg

20161111_135959.jpg

20161112_173810.jpg

20161113_114404.jpg

20161113_114439.jpg

20161115_014334.jpg

20161116_092123.jpg

20161116_092214.jpg

20161116_132019.jpg

20161116_150228.jpg

20161116_150251.jpg

20161116_150328.jpg

20161116_185725.jpg

20161116_185744.jpg

20161116_185756.jpg

20161116_185806.jpg

• Like 7

That looks AWESOME!!!! That is a lot of taping going on there. But the proof is in the pudding there and that is a very good job.

Thanks folks. It was time consuming and tedious work with a razor blade, but I did enjoy it. I always love how comical the blow molds look when taped and sprayed up all over.  

• Like 1

I would love to see the night shot, when the lights were on inside. i have a couple of retro blow-mold candles that could really use an update but i worry about losing light transparency.

That looks amazing!!  I am repainting a bunch myself, coming down to the wire since I want to go live black Friday.  Did you use the Krylon fusion for plastic?  That is what I am using for mine.

:wow:  Awesome job!!!  I painted my GF (General Foam) red lamp posts this year.  I used the Krylon Fusion for plastic.  That paint is great!  The red pigmentation in the plastic lamp posts faded unit they were milky white like a milk jug.  Can't understand what GF is doing to their plastic that would cause this to happen after two Christmas seasons. 

I used the rustoleum for plastics from Home Depot actually. I believe both types would work well though. I was more picky with the colors, but they just happened have fairly generic colors thst matched almost perfect I thought. Just made sure to get paint for plastic. 

Edited by uptownguy2000
Tpyo
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2016 at 5:46 PM, uptownguy2000 said:

I also accidentally got a small amount over overspray on the feet once; I need to take a quick moment to lightly sand it off.

I think it would be better to use either Citristrip or 3M Safest Stripper so that you don't scratch up the plastic.

TED

• Like 1

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 6:37 AM, TED said:

I think it would be better to use either Citristrip or 3M Safest Stripper so that you don't scratch up the plastic.

TED

Thank you, I hadn't invested any education into paint stripper but I'vebeen really meaning to get some. I did just leave the snowman as is for now, where I placed it on or deck made it completely unnoticeable.

On Thursday, January 05, 2017 at 1:49 AM, peppers-palace said:

WOW that came out really nice. Congrats & Enjoy

Thank you, I was just thrilled while taking the tape off. It did turn out just as good as I had hoped it would be; but I really took a lot of time and care taping, razor cutting, and ensuring no paint runs. I'll finally get some photo's up I took of the yard. 

On November 18, 2016 at 11:58 PM, RAB said:

I would love to see the night shot, when the lights were on inside. i have a couple of retro blow-mold candles that could really use an update but i worry about losing light transparency.

If you paint while the mold is lit you don't have that problem because you can see when your paint it getting too heavy. I never paint a mold without a light being on inside of it. 

On 1/13/2017 at 4:11 AM, jlknox11 said:

If you paint while the mold is lit you don't have that problem because you can see when your paint it getting too heavy. I never paint a mold without a light being on inside of it. 

That's a good tip!  (It might also provide a little warmth to help the paint cure.)

TED

21 hours ago, TED said:

That's a good tip!  (It might also provide a little warmth to help the paint cure.)

TED

Oh it definitely doesn't cure it! Trust me! I've painted a lot and you still have to wait for it to cure. I've also found that rustoleum paints get sticky as they dry so you have to be careful not to touch it. but krylon doesn't so I use it all the time. 

On 11/29/2016 at 6:37 AM, TED said:

TED

Ted, I found that when stripping and doing all mine, believe or not Oven Cleaner worked the best to get the old paint off.  Spray on the cleaner, come back a few hours later and take a brush and it comes right off.  Some of the molds the paint started to run off as soon as it was sprayed, and it is safe and never hurt a thing.  :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jlknox11 said:

Oh it definitely doesn't cure it! Trust me! I've painted a lot and you still have to wait for it to cure. I've also found that rustoleum paints get sticky as they dry so you have to be careful not to touch it. but krylon doesn't so I use it all the time. 

I didn't mean that it was going to actually cure out the paint.  I was just thinking that (if it is an incandescent bulb that produces heat) it might speed it up slightly.  I did not know that about the Rustoleum paint staying sticky until it tries.  Thanks for sharing that!

2 hours ago, Franchise_24 said:

Ted, I found that when stripping and doing all mine, believe or not Oven Cleaner worked the best to get the old paint off.  Spray on the cleaner, come back a few hours later and take a brush and it comes right off.  Some of the molds the paint started to run off as soon as it was sprayed, and it is safe and never hurt a thing.  :-)

I'm guessing you mean safe for the plastic and not necessarily safe and/or pleasant for humanoids.  [Insert emoji of me with a clothespin on my nose.]  The smell can be pretty caustic.  I think the best option is the 3M Safest Stripper.  It works just about like you describe the oven cleaner working and there's no smell!  It's good to know about the oven cleaner though.  I can picture someone being half done stripping a 'mold, running out of stripper, and grabbing the oven cleaner from the kitchen to finish the job!

TED

Edited by TED
to find more strippers!