Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Hi everyone,

Mike here and new to this.  Need some help with some questions but to get there here is where I started.  Last year after many CAT problems in  house we decided outside decorations were the way to go.  But I didn’t want it to be tacky or gaudy.  So with that in mind, went out and purchased  a total of 3500 ice icicle lights for the gutters.  Solid strings of red, blue led’s for the bushes.  LED  floods red and green for the limestone face of the house. A short  1’ tall by 18’ long plastic fence with old incandescent T5 lights and at the end of that 8 2’ tall candy canes.  At the south end of the lot (it is 700 feet wide by 75 feet deep) 14 trees were wrapped in various colors of rope light,  white, red, green.  Looked nice but wanted more.  In addition this year for 2016 I have created 3 singing Christmas trees that will be controlled by 2 light-o-rama  controllers, with the music provided by my choir.

So this year it for 2016 it started in March, was at  a rummage sale and found 3 old wire frame deer for a grand total of $3.00  Took them home, removed the old wiring, cleaned up the rust and painted the fames and put new LED lights on them.  Yes one of them is Rudolph with a bright Red nose.  These will go in the middle of the yard this year, with hopes of find 4-8 more of them to redo.

The other new thing going up this year is a nativity. I began 7 weeks ago, purchased ¾ PVC and framed out a manger, using the pvc and amber and green lights it will stand 8’ tall and 12’ wide.  In there of course will be the wire frames. 

However these are not conventional ¼ steel frames,  I am using 1/8 hanger rod that is used in the construction industry to hang drop ceilings and drywall.  I you picture the old style Lionel train track, but on a 1/4” scale this is how I am building my figures, once done the lights do not pass through the track but the wiring does.  It is very easy to work with and after making a 4x8 adjustable jig out of particle board and laying out a sheet of peg board and transferring the holes to the particle board and using wooden dowels for the pattern  in the board it has worked wonderfully.  Already have Life size Mary, Joseph, Jesus, lamb, Star, Shepherd and angel made in 4 weeks time. 

HERE IS THE QUESTION:               

I do not want to dig a hole in the front yard to elevate the angel.  Has anyone had any experience with using a 5 gallon bucket with cement and a sleeve for the 1 ½ pipe to fit in?

The bucket would sit on a 2x2 nice oak pallet with ½ marine plywood on it and it would be leveled out.

The wire frame with everything on it will weigh about 10 lbs. 

The plan is to elevate the angel 10-15 in the air.

Do you think guide wires will be needed?

The bucket will be hidden behind a bail of hay.

Looking forward to your comments and Ideas.

Mike

If you can anchor the bucket to the pallet then ( couple L brackets and mushroom anchors to the bucket) more weight with some additional sand bags, it would be better. Also manageable to carry/move.  If you get much weather or wind, guy wires would  be the way to go. You could use a high tensile fishing line even as you guy wire

• Like 1

AS they say an ah ha moment.  Never thought about sandbags and brackets which will work and the high strength fishing line well as they say duh, never thought about it even though my dad was an avid fishermen.  Thanks for the ideas they will work! Have a good one.

11 hours ago, aesl1982 said:

Walter monkhouse has a portable hole design that works very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I built one of these for my new DIY 8' mega-tree a few weeks back, and must say (although concrete's still curing) it looks very solid - in fact mine measures 50cm x 50cm x 15cm and it weighs just shy of 48kgs!

It'll be a bit of a struggle to move to/from the garage and placement area, but I'm 100% certain it'll hold up to strong wind, etc. without guide wires ;)

Walter monkhouse has a portable hole design that works very well

+1

I built one of these for my new DIY 8' mega-tree a few weeks back, and must say (although concrete's still curing) it looks very solid - in fact mine measures 50cm x 50cm x 15cm and it weighs just shy of 48kgs!

It'll be a bit of a struggle to move to/from the garage and placement area, but I'm 100% certain it'll hold up to strong wind, etc. without guide wires

Put caster wheels on the side of it and u can tip it with the pole and wheel it around. I used mine last year for a 25' mega tree and my 13' pixel tree and it worked like a champ

Love what you are trying to do. Please post photos.

Here's a few snaps of the initial framework and finished product - turned out really well. Thanks Mr Walter Monkhouse for the idea - changed a few dimensions and had to source equivalent/similar items locally, but very happy with the final product!

@aesl1982 - was going to try some castors, but couldn't find any decent solid ones in our town - ended up using heavy duty fold-down trunk handles on all four sides for carrying purposes, with some adjustable feet in each corner to level off if needed. I will keep my eyes open though for some suitable castors for the side ;) 

The portable hole is stored on it's side in the garage, taking up very little space - it should also last many years!

handles and base stands.jpg

base.jpg

side.jpg

top.jpg

frame and rebar.jpg

Edited by HowardB
added link

Here are some picts! My predicament is, I have to weld outside, and my drive way has the hot daily sun beating down on it until 5 pm.  The first time I tired welding, practicing on on angle iron, I could pull them apart with my bare hands, well with gloves on, ha ha.  So it took about a week and things starting going better.  But by then I had used up my 1lb spool of wire.  I am using flux core.  But slowly it all came together, so now things are in various stages of finish.  As of right now, Mary 4', Joseph 5', baby Jesus, 1 lamb, 2 cherub angels, one arch angel 7', 1 shepherd 6', one bunny, and a police star are completed with construction phase, welding and most of the lights.  Having to adjust here and there a bit.  Shepherd is welded and lights going on, 3 wise men in welding stage and camel sits patiently hoping his frame will be done by the weekend depending on the weather. Also bit the bullet and purchased another 16 channel LOR for my display so will have a total of 48 channels.  Nothing like jumping in over your head.  But everyone knows my moto, the more the merrier, the bigger the better.  That's what happens when your a church musician. I have attached what I have picts of.  Please note these were taken after putting on lights and seeing them for the first time lite up.  I have since gone back and worked each one to fix up the problems and completely re lite the cherub angels. They look a lot better.   Now, my last problem, I want to get the Star up 20 feet in the air and it will have blue and white lite tails coming down to behind the manger.  What size pipe you think, for this and the Trumpet angel 15 feet up in the air, angel will weigh about 20 lbs after all the lights are on. 

As a side note, I am not sure how I feel about the Bethlehem star, I wanted something that just was a solid bright emanating blue light, I think I may keep the basic frame and trash the inside and redesign to get the lights closer together.  Right now they lay flat with the socket on the wire frame thus the spacing.  I want to try to stand them through the frame so the lights are next to each other.  I think I will try a 4" square and see how it works.  Or if you all have any ideas, I want it to be a massive smack in the face blue light coming from the center! I am thinking something like peg board but the holes have to no more than 1/8 of an inch apart.

Mike

Bethlehem star.jpg

Cherub.jpg

Christmas Tree.jpg

lamb.jpg

Mary.jpg

rabbit.jpg

Police star.jpg

Trumpeting angel.jpg

Trumpeting angel construcdtion.jpg

Edited by Mike's creation
spelling