Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChristmasExpo

Christmas Expo 2016

We know everyone is anxious to know and we are excited to announce the location of the 2016 Christmas Expo - Chicago! Like Fort Worth last year, Chicago offers easy access to the city via 2 airports with many non-stop and 1-stop flights as well as comparable rates from all corners of the country - and Canada too! We can't reveal the exact facility location yet (still have some details to iron out with them) but we'll be bringing Christmas to the Windy City on July 14-16, 2016. As soon as we can, we'll let you know the exact facility we'll be using. Hope to see you in Chicago!

12 hours ago, drkness said:

What all goes on/happens at this expo?  

It is a gathering of decorators from all across the country. There will be three days of instructional classes and vendors will be set up to show off their products.

SPaschall

I am sure there will be but closer to the event will there be an itenerary on here of everything going on and cost of tickets to enter?

drkness - as mentioned, we have 3 days of classes focused on lighting techniques, animation, DIY, software specific classes, over the top displays and much more. There are usually 4 class sessions to choose from in each 1-hour time slot (a total of somewhere around 60 classes over the 3 days) throughout the day so there's something of interest for all levels of decorators. There is also a vendor hall for shopping, round table discussions for information sharing among attendees, an evening reception and a panel discussion with the casting agent and participants from ABC's The Great Christmas Light Fight. The class schedule won't be ready for a few months yet but you can watch here for info or sign up for emails on our website. Hope to see you there!

dchackert - the class and daily schedule won't be posted for a few months yet but we expect to have pricing and open up registration sometime in the next several weeks. We hope to see you in July!

xmasvon - We look forward to seeing you!

Thanks!

I'd love to attend one year, shoulda' jumped on the one in LA because it's probably the closest it will ever be to Utah. I hope it turns out great for all of those able to make it.

Last years Christmas Expo in Fort Worth, Texas was the first time that we attended from Ontario, Canada.  It was a fantastic show and the other 2 couples that we travelled with all enjoyed the classroom opportunities as well.  I would have to say though that for us, the greatest part of the experience was having the opportunity to meet and network with the greatest lighting fanatics in our hobby/industry.  If we had known earlier what we know now about the Expo, we would have arrived a couple of days earlier to take advantage of the LOR training and stayed for an extra couple of days to be able to see more of Fort Worth.  Unfortunately we had to leave for the airport just before the door prizes, so we all missed out on that.

We've already booked our hotel for the Chicago show and plan on being there from Saturday to Sunday of the next weekend.  This time it's close enough that we are planning on driving a couple of vans in so that we can take a lot more home with us.

If you have any interest in Christmas light decorating, you need to plan on getting to this event.  You won't regret it.

Wow ELF - thank you for the glowing recommendation! We're so glad you had a good time. And how great that you're within driving distance this year! Does that mean the 20' tree is going home in the trunk with you? :)
See you in Chicago!

Janice

Hey Janice.  Sorry about not replying until now but it's been a while.

No, because I worked with Brian Bruderer 2 years ago in 2014.  So we already have one.  For all I know, it may be the only one in Canada that I'm aware of.

We are scheduled to attend the LOR immersion classes on Tuesday & Wednesday though.

Look forward to seeing you all there.