Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mwalz

Amount Of Lights On A 20' Tree

This has been discussed many many many times. but i can't find it on here. Would 1500 lights look decent on a 20' tree? I had 1200 on my 15' one 2 years ago and it looked what i would consider ok. a little empty, but ok. I have power constraints, and only have a little more top work with. that would be light strands every 2' around the base. I might be able to get to 2k lights on each, but not sure just yet until i get things figured out a little better. The lights are incandescent minis. And no i don't have money to upgrade them to LED. Hopefully next year. Or maybe do 3/4 or half a tree would look pretty good.

Maybe you should stay at 15' and just add the extra lights to it.  You'd have a more full looking tree that way.

TED

True, I want them taller than the center tree of the 3 mega trees. Maybe i could go 17'. I still have to figure out the actual wattages I'm working with this year. I've been slow at getting started.

I would stick with the shorter tree. I have 32 strings per color for my mega trees.

I have 3, what I call a mega trees. but they are all different than what everybody else calls a mega tree. My tallest tree is about 23' to the top of the tree topper and has 12,800 lights and 64 channels. My 2 smaller "mega trees" each contain 8,400 lights and are about 15' to the top of the tree topper and they also share 64 channels for a total of 128 channels running the 3 trees. I can put one up in 15 minutes and have it running in an hour. They can do everything an arch can do because all I did was build 8 - 20 ft. arches and stand them on end for the big tree and 16 shorter arches for the 2 smaller trees. They can dance, jump, spin, twirl, fade, light from the top down and bottom up but they do not change colors like everybody else's.

If anybody wants more info drop me a message.

kevinkolak.com and pick any video.....I like the Hallelujah Chorus the best

I do like the look of a 360 degree tree rather than a half. If i could get 2k lights on each tree that would look really good. I'll probably make each tree 15', i might have the center one 16-17' just so it stands out a little more as more of a center piece.

I have 3, what I call a mega trees. but they are all different than what everybody else calls a mega tree. My tallest tree is about 23' to the top of the tree topper and has 12,800 lights and 64 channels. My 2 smaller "mega trees" each contain 8,400 lights and are about 15' to the top of the tree topper and they also share 64 channels for a total of 128 channels running the 3 trees. I can put one up in 15 minutes and have it running in an hour. They can do everything an arch can do because all I did was build 8 - 20 ft. arches and stand them on end for the big tree and 16 shorter arches for the 2 smaller trees. They can dance, jump, spin, twirl, fade, light from the top down and bottom up but they do not change colors like everybody else's.

Basically you took light poles or firesticks (or whatever they are being called now) and made an Indian teepee!  The way all the poles bend just a little creates a nice shape.  It's a great idea.

I watched some of your videos.  You have a beautiful display!

TED

If anybody wants more info drop me a message.

kevinkolak.com and pick any video.....I like the Hallelujah Chorus the best

Could you please provide detailed instructions on how you build these trees?  I have done several Arches using the "Sleeve" Method and would like to see what you use for center pole and how you actually stand them up. 

Thank You,

Scott

I will  make a video and take some pictures of how I do it and make it available to all. Its not going to happen until after this season as I have a 512+ channel and 100,000+ light display to get up on weekends as I am a working stiff during the week. Anybody interested can send me a PM and include your email and I will send you the "how to" when its completed.

kevinkolak.com

Ted...thanks for your kind words. The weight of the poles with the lights wrapped around them along with the flexibility of the conduit gives the taller tree a nice curve and believe it or not it was anticipated that it would bend like that before the first one went up....thank goodness it worked out as designed.

Ted...thanks for your kind words. The weight of the poles with the lights wrapped around them along with the flexibility of the conduit gives the taller tree a nice curve and believe it or not it was anticipated that it would bend like that before the first one went up....thank goodness it worked out as designed.

So apparently you "set the curve"!!

TED  :D

My trees last year were about 35' and they each had about 2200-2500 lights.  I can't seem to attach a picture, but that seemed like the right amount to me..

Could you please provide detailed instructions on how you build these trees?  I have done several Arches using the "Sleeve" Method and would like to see what you use for center pole and how you actually stand them up. 

Thank You,

Scott

Scott each person does it a little different. Some people have stands they build some use a sleeve in the ground. The sleeve in the ground is how I do it

I use 2 1-1/4" galvanized 10' poles. Pole 1 slides down a 1-1/2'' sleeve that is 2 feet in the ground with concrete. I cap it when I am done and you never see it.

the second pole goes on top of the first with a coupler. at the top of the tree I have 3 hooks where my guy wire goes up to. It is stranded galvanized wire as well for tinsel strength.

This year I changed the tree to be an RGB pixel tree and its a half tree. Last year it was a 32 strand mega tree.

lol...I think you mean "tensile" strength...although tinsel looks great in any Christmas display ;)

bigstott...how big is your tree with RGBs?

lol thanks for the catch :) This year it is 16 feet tall including the star. Next year I will make it a full 20 feet tall again. I am using bullet nodes at 3" spacing.

post-18990-0-74005300-1413994649_thumb.j

post-18990-0-36797400-1413994652_thumb.j

Scott

I too put a sleeve in the ground in concrete for a quick setup and stability while it is up. In fact my display has 11 such sleeves throughout the display and the 35ft tower also has a sleeve anchored in concrete with a hinge that I remove after each season. My 8 light poles and star burst toppers are exactly the same to give precise symmetry. They are hand made and within 1/4" of each other or I make them over. All of my wires are inside the tree legs, light poles and arches so that I can remove and replace an entire string of lights should something go terribly wrong without disturbing the others. Because of the method I use to put my tree up all 8 legs of my tree act as guy wires.....yes even with the bow in them.

kevinkolak.com

I too put a sleeve in the ground in concrete for a quick setup and stability while it is up. In fact my display has 11 such sleeves throughout the display and the 35ft tower also has a sleeve anchored in concrete with a hinge that I remove after each season. My 8 light poles and star burst toppers are exactly the same to give precise symmetry. They are hand made and within 1/4" of each other or I make them over. All of my wires are inside the tree legs, light poles and arches so that I can remove and replace an entire string of lights should something go terribly wrong without disturbing the others. Because of the method I use to put my tree up all 8 legs of my tree act as guy wires.....yes even with the bow in them.

There needs to be a name for your type of tree.  Maybe TeePee tree or something.  I'm not crazy about that name though.  I'll give it some thought.  What do you call them?

The one thought I have on the concrete sleeve vs. portable hole is that if you want to change your display from year to year the portable hole is an advantage.

TED

Call me uniformed but I am not familiar with a portable hole.

A name need not be a description of the item. Example being....I have a US patent and the name is nowhere close to describing the item. The tall 35 foot tower in my display is called the Abeling Tower because a good friend named Abeling donated it. I may just call it the Kolak Tree....

I may just call it the Kolak Tree....

How about the Kolak Kurve Tree!?  (Even though the name does not have to be descriptive I like it when it at least gives a hint.)

TED

Hey, don't forget the Plasma Icicles!  :P

And the BLOWMOLDS!!!

TED

By using just "Kolak Tree" it would make you take a look just to see what it is. Keep in mind it's not the curve that makes this tree special. The curve is just a side benefit. It's all the things it can do that the mega trees CAN,T do. Granted, it does not change colors but it could if I added 64 more channels to it per color. I have not learned all things it can do so stay tuned.

kevinkolak.com

Archer...adding those color strands would add a good amount of weight too.  I was thinking of going RGB pixels on my mega tree next year.  Removing all those strands of colors, LOR controlelrs, etc and I could do everything it currently does plus more.  I currently have 48 vertical strands (16 of each color) of 50 lights each...I could replace all of those with RGB and run it off a single Pixlite 4 controller and still have 300+ pixels remaining for the star!   But in reality, I could cut back the number of strands by a third and it would still look fuller than it does in a single color now.  And I could do the Weber Spirals through programing with any color and strobe sparkles without adding strobes.   And the best part.....finally I could turn on all my lights with out popping breakers!  Yeah I know, it will be close to $1,000 in pixels, $120 for the controller, and $100 in power supplies...but selling 2x LOR controllers would help offset that.   (right, like we ever sell or downsize anything?)

I am building 12 3' rgb coro trees for this year...maybe I will do the Kolak RGB tree next year and push the mega tree off another year.

As for the original question on this post....Currently I have my 11' Mega tree, mounted 2' off the ground and with another 2' star, standing at 15' tall with a 7' diameter bottom ring.  Running 8channels green (800 lights), 8 channels red (800 lights), 800 blue on a single channel, 12 channels (1200 white) in a
Weber spiral.  I would consider those minimum numbers on a tree this size.  Under the tree we have lighted presents and a motorized train running on a 15' diameter track (rebuilt this year too). 

Think of area of the triangle when comparing your lights.  Going from a 15' tall/10' base triangle to a 20/14' triangle you are doubling the area inside the triangle.  If you thought 1200 looked minimum on your 15' then 2400 will look the same on your 20'.

I have not ventured into pixel or RGB....I may but not at this time, I'm having too much fun with mini lights. I am running 32 LOR controllers now and I have 6 spares still in the boxes. As for adding weight by adding another color....not the way I do it. Go to my website and look at the starburst at the top of my tower....it changes from white to red and operates on 8 channels each color. I would use the same procedure as I did for that starburst. Now you got me thinking...stay tuned for next years "Kolak Tree"....lol......I hear you about the never downsizing.

kevinkolak.com