Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
westislipxmas

Suspending Your Santa And Reindeer - Learn How

Hey all.  I have received many messages and seen many topics on how to suspend your santa and reindeer set.  Therefore, I thought I would just start a topic and show how I do mine.  Basically I drill holes through the reindeers neck and tail and through the sled (as seen in photos) and run a cable through the entire set.  I know many people are worried that the set will tip over and go upside down; however that will never happen.   After I run the cable through I make a loop using cable hardware which is how I attach it to the house and telephone pole.  I first attach the highest end and then on the lower end (telephone pole) I tie a rope to the end and pull it around the pole until the loop reaches the hook on the telephone pool.  In addition, I put two wire clamps on the first reindeer and the santa sleigh which prevents the set from sliding on the cable.  This was actually harder than I thought to explain so I hope this was helpful.  Please see my pictures below.  I have never had a problem doing it like this and I think it looks great.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks.

post-11145-0-22315200-1385834341_thumb.j

post-11145-0-46087700-1385834348_thumb.j

post-11145-0-53019500-1385834356_thumb.j

post-11145-0-53478300-1385834362_thumb.j

post-11145-0-44505300-1385834366_thumb.j

post-11145-0-55615100-1385834378_thumb.j

post-11145-0-79474600-1385834382_thumb.j

post-11145-0-52767200-1385834388_thumb.j

post-11145-0-24139500-1385834398_thumb.j

post-11145-0-44072100-1385834423_thumb.j

• Like 2

Great job!  I like the way the cable is at the top of the reindeers' neck and tail keeping it from being top heavy and tipping over.

looks great....basically the same way i do mine....same hardware also...p.s. i like the 70 chevelle in your garage... ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

I was going to say Chevelle or El camino

This is amazing and not something I ever thought of doing -

do you get strong winds/rains where you're living?

Just wondering how it would hold up during that - and of course from a safety aspect also! :)

Symphony, I used a lot of advice about this setup to do mine this year. It's basically the same but with a few changes to run parallel sets of deer. I live in CT and they stayed up with zero problems in snow, rain, significant ice, and wind this year. I was very happy with this technique and grateful for all the help and advice I got here. I put up pics of mine in my original advice thread called suspending poloron reindeer if you want to take a look. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ffmedic. I'm glad you found my pictures/explanation helpful. Symphony I've been doing this technique for many years. Never once had an issue. (Knock on wood) As long as your hardware is secure you will have no issues. If you have any questions let me know. Like ffmedic said he used this idea but tweaked it. I really like the parallel idea and will probably do it like that in a few years. Thanks again. And yes 1983ss it's a 70 ss chevelle. Good eye

p.s. i like the 70 chevelle in your garage... ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

I was going to say Chevelle or El camino

Thanks again. And yes 1983ss it's a 70 ss chevelle. Good eye

I can't believe that I didn't see that at first!  I did know immediately that it was an SS when I saw the stripes.  I have a '69.  It's more of what you would call the base model (although I had dual pipes put on it when the original muffler wore out).  My grandparents bought it new in 1970.

TED

I'm working on a side by side with Rudolph to lead right now.     

I have mine (mostly) ready, side by side, but i'm concerned about attaching one end to the roof as it is kind of heavy.  I was going to secure the one end to an old satellite mast at the ridge but I'm not sure that's  the best idea.  Anyone have any ideas?  (I was going to attached the other end to a tree)

I'm not using a cable system.   I will post pictures when its done.  VERY close to being ready! 

Just found a Santa and 6 reindeer. I have been wanting this for years. I'm setting a 20 ft pole at the edge of the yard and running a cable to the peak of the garage.  I'm using the method you have posted. Thanks for the information and pics. I'll try to post pics when completed. 

Alan 

I know this is an old post and I apologize for bumping it, but where can I purchase a setup like this? I am looking for some Reindeer and sleigh to suspend. Thank you

I so want to do this  but they never sold the santa and deer molds in Colorado  hoping to find it this year at a store here in KY.

7 hours ago, Newlifer89 said:

I know this is an old post and I apologize for bumping it, but where can I purchase a setup like this? I am looking for some Reindeer and sleigh to suspend. Thank you

There is some here: http://www.americansale.com/Products/Santa-with-Sleigh-Reindeer-Blow-Mold-Christmas-Decoration__896337.aspx

and these  http://www.americansale.com/Products/Santas-Reindeer-Blow-Mold-Christmas-Decoration__896344.aspx

21 hours ago, TBS99 said:

Thank you for that site. They have some great prices but my gosh they get you back via shipping. They wanted 150 dollars for shipping for only the sleigh and 2 extra reindeer. Thats more then what they cost!!!  Any other websites? Thank you

I bought mine last year at an ACE hardware store, got all 9 and santa/sleigh at 50% off.  I know that a local garden center near me (local business not a chain) already has them out for this year.  So maybe local hardware  or garden center stores?