Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
s8830906

New Lighted Poles

Well, finally will have a couple of poles this year.  Made them 7' tall, with 6 sections 14" each and 150 minis per section.  Will run them together on my last controller taking up 6 channels this year.  Next year will have another controller and will make them a full 8 channels and individual of each other.  These are 1 1/4" sections over 3/4" poles.  A little wobbly even with the bases I made, so looks like a few guy wires will have to be added. 

Any one have any good sequences with poles in it?   Really want them to pop in the display!

Thanks,

Steve

post-10311-0-05676900-1385439271_thumb.j

Awesome! See...  I should have done this..  I used the metal EMT conduit..  Heavy.  and no base..  I was just thinking of doing a similar thing as you while I was carrying them out to the yard yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How funny...

Instead of the pvc base, simply use a piece of rebar to slide inside the pole.  You'll need to guy wire it against the wind.  I use 50# test fishing line for guy wires on 10' tall poles.  You don't see the fishing line which is nice; however be careful, you don't see it either and it's easy to trip over.......he says from experience

lol I use black paracord to tie everything down.   And lemme tell ya..  I know that they are there and I've fallen on my butt many times already because I "forget" that they are there. :)

Yep, I use that green garden wire from Lowes. I have been tripped and clothes lined multiple times.  One day I am going to tie some orange streamers to remind myself it's there.

Steve

If they are in sections, similar to the sleeved arches, you could us a length of black pipe with a floor flange mounted to a board.  Then the board could be staked to the ground.  I use this config for my candy cane tree.

candy cane tree.bmp

Where do you get the PVC connector at the bottom of the pole?  I use a lot of rebar but these would be good additional support at the bottom.

You can google 5 way pvc connectors. Mostly it is used for PVC furniture. I just used a 4way cross. I took a coupling, put a plug in end, drilled a hole through it and cross, then used bolt/washers/nut to secure together. Took 5 minutes.

Steve

This is my second year using 6 poles.  I use 3 that are red/blue (8 strings of each per pole) and 3 that are green white (also with 8 strings of each per pole) for a total of 32 channels.  That allows me to chase colors up and down the pole, use a single color, or fade a pole between colors.  They are wrapped with 70 count M6 LEDs from CDI.

For the pole, I used 10' of  1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC.  They seemed pretty heavy with 16 sets of LEDs on the, so I slid a 10' 3/4" EMT conduit inside (maybe this wouldn't be necessary but it made me feel more comfortable). Then used 3' of 1/2" rebar with 2' pounded into the ground to hold them in place.

They really do pop and people love 'em. 

post-9054-0-36943800-1385828219_thumb.jp

post-9054-0-39352300-1385828244_thumb.jp

post-9054-0-66169100-1385828266_thumb.jp

Takoda, I have the same yard lanterns you do. Try putting a set of 50 ct led multi color inside and a piece of cardboard on bottom to  keep in place. You will be amazed at how pretty it is. I use mine year around... better than the solar it comes with by far....

Hi Steve,

Thanks.  Here's a YouTube video.  Quality is not the best, but it shows how they look. 

Someday I will figure out how to take a high quality video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ivvUWOOCIc

Dennis

I'd say you did a pretty good job at the video.  More important the display and sequencing look GREAT! 

Takoda, I have the same yard lanterns you do. Try putting a set of 50 ct led multi color inside and a piece of cardboard on bottom to  keep in place. You will be amazed at how pretty it is. I use mine year around... better than the solar it comes with by far....

Hey Sidetrack, thanks for the idea.   I will try that!!!  And maybe the cardboard on the bottom will stop the hornets from making a next in them too.  :ph34r:

I'd say you did a pretty good job at the video.  More important the display and sequencing look GREAT! 

Thanks RAB.  We have had a lot of people stop by when we are outside setting up and tearing down.  They tell us how they have made stopping by our display part of the Christmas tradition.  That's all the incentive we need to keep going. 

Thanks again for your kind words.

Edited by Takoda