Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
xxnonamexx

Rip Inflatables

Well Inflatables look wonderful easy to set up etc. Over the years we had a 12' 25', snowglobes then downgraded to 4ft and smaller. This year I wanted to negate Inflatables for a few reasons, sometimes the wind is a pain with them, snow weather etc. Example I wanted just to have the dog holding a stocking 4' only which I used last season. This season I install it turn it on the lights work but the fan is shot the wiring is good etc. The fan is shot and to geta new fan $30 the unit only costs $34 brand new. This put the kabosh on Inflatables for me NEVER again will I be dealing with this nonsense. I also noticed in my neighborhood that people have also negated the Inflatables and went with traditional lights.

Yep. Inflatables take work and repair to keep them going. That part I will admit.

We spend money rewiring them, replacing motors/fans and when the wind comes up playing doctor to see they live another day.

Just depends on what people want to display. They are not for everyone but we love the reactions from the kids and older alike when they come to see them each year.

Traditional lights are cool also, we have added a lot more lights this year but are going to keep our Puffies also.

Looks like I am going to bring it down to 2. The weather here sure is hard on them also and the quality seems to have gone down too, for Halloween I had 2 large cats and had to sew on them to keep them together. Some of mine just aren't display worthy anymore.

If your inflatable is still in good shape you can still sell it on ebay without the motor. I have noticed several people buying them as is with no working motor.

I here ya . bought my first inflateable snow globe this year a a yard sale. I can see why it was only 5 bucks. Everything worked but they are a pain in the you know what.

Edited by christmas_nut

Sathya44;

I don't understand why you find the need to make these constant replies degrading members or the things they decorate with.

If you have no valuable information to reply with or you are unable to helpfully reply with an answer to threads actual topic it's best you not reply at all.

Thanks for understanding.

They're very flimsy and breakable! Blow molds are much better. They last longer.

Edited by Chuck Smith

Sathya44;

I don't understand why you find the need to make these constant replies degrading members or the things they decorate with.

If you have no valuable information to reply with or you are unable to helpfully reply with an answer to threads actual topic it's best you not reply at all.

Thanks for understanding.

They're very flimsy and breakable! Blow molds are much better. They last longer.

I here ya . bought my first inflateable snow globe this year a a yard sale. I can see why it was only 5 bucks. Everything worked but they are a pain in the you know what.

I bought a long time wanted Rudolph snowglobe for $15 and I hope it isn't a pain in the you know what! It was still in the box too.

I bought a Halloween Grim Reaper on a horse last year and that one is a PAIN! It's tall and it won't stay up in a stiff breeze. I need to figure out a way to anchor it more to keep it stable in the wind. I did have it up on a calm day no problem. I also like blow molds too. I don't understand the need to hate on inflatables. Just don't use them :)

I'm suprised with all the negativity about inflatables being said here.........Last Christmas we put up a 16' Santa (our first time) and yes we did have an issue with a big wind, one night we were out in the yard at 11:00 pm trying to save him and he then needed minor surgery to get him up and going again (LOL).  Even though we have 65,000 lights and other elements in our display I was suprised how much people liked and talked about the Santa.......People really liked seeing them in our displays IMO............Guess we'll inflate him again this year

I'm suprised with all the negativity about inflatables being said here.........Last Christmas we put up a 16' Santa (our first time) and yes we did have an issue with a big wind, one night we were out in the yard at 11:00 pm trying to save him and he then needed minor surgery to get him up and going again (LOL).  Even though we have 65,000 lights and other elements in our display I was suprised how much people liked and talked about the Santa.......People really liked seeing them in our displays IMO............Guess we'll inflate him again this year

Oh I get picked on ALL the time by my in-laws. I just say well I got it at a garage sale or on end of season discount. I think it's fun. I don't have enough stuff to go crazy with,but I buy a little during the year.

my holy grail however is the 72in santa in sleigh with 8 reindeer. I will own it..oh yes.

every January when I am boxing up 300+ inflatables, begin to think less inflatables, more blow molds, lights, etc.  then I see the new  designs, looks like mostly inflatables this year.

my wife really likes blow molds too, but storage is a pain, they take up so so much room.  I store them out of the weather, and every year whne I get them out, one will have a big chip or piece missing, paint is flaking off.

bottom line, CHRISTmas decoration is enjoyable, but hard work.  to each one his own.  now i get to repair inflatables, repalce blowers (so glad I bought 30 inflatables a few year ago when they were on clearance for $2.99.)

do not get discouraged when you have to repair inflatables, buy them when you find them at yard sales, Craigs lsit etc.  blowers are much cheaper to buy that way.

got to go, need to go to Lowe's and see if they have any CHRISTmas out yet, Hobby Lobby already has their Thanksgiving out

every January when I am boxing up 300+ inflatables, begin to think less inflatables, more blow molds, lights, etc.  then I see the new  designs, looks like mostly inflatables this year.

my wife really likes blow molds too, but storage is a pain, they take up so so much room.  I store them out of the weather, and every year whne I get them out, one will have a big chip or piece missing, paint is flaking off.

bottom line, CHRISTmas decoration is enjoyable, but hard work.  to each one his own.  now i get to repair inflatables, repalce blowers (so glad I bought 30 inflatables a few year ago when they were on clearance for $2.99.)

do not get discouraged when you have to repair inflatables, buy them when you find them at yard sales, Craigs lsit etc.  blowers are much cheaper to buy that way.

got to go, need to go to Lowe's and see if they have any CHRISTmas out yet, Hobby Lobby already has their Thanksgiving out

You know I saw some cheapo inflaable,but it was cute and then I wasn't going to pop $20 on it either. My parents kind of had holiday decor ruined for them. The guy next to them had his entire lawn filled with every holiday imaginable with blow ups,lights, garland,ghosts and a tree decorated. Now imagine all these holidays ALL YEAR ROUND,24 HOURS A DAY. All the time, all these holidays, all year. when you went outside imagine the sound of 20 blow up fans running haha. It was an eye sore