Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mikell

Low Budget Mega Tree

My second year making one and at least this one will be used all the time. I have a small amusement park and will use my 25 foot pole for hoisting large wireframes for the holidays and a Christmas tree from the middle of November on. The pole is hollow so I can use electrical beam clamps to hold the star and pully system up. I also have a bucket truck if needed. All I did was attach with wireties 20 strings of lights to the rope and hoisted them up. Connected them at the base and pulled them tight to make the tree shape. It's about 200 feet off the road so it doesn't have to be perfect. will post pictures later

Cool. a 25' pole shoudl make for a great mega tree. Let us know how many light strings, colors and other info plus post some pics!

I

I

I switched over to LED's on my large tree line and all my windows this year. This left me with 30 super strings gone unused. I decided to wrap 2 sets of superstrings onto a 3/4" 8' section of PVC. I then made a 7 leg Mega tree by connecting the 7 sections of PVC at the top, and resting the base of the PVC on a 1' piece of rebar pounded into the ground. Over all, the only cost of this tree was the PVC hardware, joints, and elbows I used to secure it together. I can even cut the PVC into 2 sections of 4' and use a coupler to connect them . It will make for easy storage, and replacement of a bad setion of lights on the fly.

I really wanted to do a traditional style mega tree with a 20' or 10' pole, but my yard is not big enough. So, I made it work this way.

I made my mega trees out of 10 ft 1 in. EMT Medal electrical Conduit. $7 roughly each connected together with an oak dowel ($3) 24 in. fit perfectly inside the 1" conduit. I drilled and bolted the dowel into the top conduit and left the bottom conduit free to take it apart for storage. I made the toppers for the mega tree and also for the other 7 10 ft mega trees in my display. The 20 ft tree has 2400 (24-100 ct strings) ($2 each box) and the 10 ft trees have 800 (8-100 ct strings)($2 each box). For the base ring I use 1/2" sch40 PVC for both the 20 ft and 10 ft trees. The 20 ft tree uses (4) 10 ft sticks and the 10 ft trees use (2) 10 ft sticks. I measured from the center of the first coupler 7". Drilled a small hole and installed a cup hook. Measured the rest of the way around going 15" each time and drilling and installing cup hooks the rest of the way around until I am back to the start. It should come out almost perfect. I stake the base ring to the ground about 5-6 times to hold it secure. I looped the female end of the light string about 6-8" back onto itself and zip tied it at the plug end and about 2" from the loop end also. I hang the light string from this loop. The toppers I made hold 3 strings from each hook fine on the 8 hooks on the topper. I then separate each string out to the 24 hooks on the base ring making another loop on the male end to make the tree shape. I use a commercial  controller with 6 channels and plays music. I make (4) strings linked to each channel around the base ring. The 10 ft trees are all static for now/ The lights are started at the base ring made from (2) 10 ft strips of 1/2" sch40 PVC made the same way as the 20 ft tree. coupled together. Measure 7" from the center of the first coupler and put cup hook. Then measure 15" the rest of the way putting cup hooks the rest of the way. Install the lights from the base ring up to the topper and back down to the next cup hook and then to the next cup hook and then back to the topper again and continue the rest of the way around until it returns back to the beginning. Total for each 10 ft tree was about $35 and the 20 ft tree was $50 roughly. 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.289080527866230.66002.114541565320128&type=3 (pictures)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=337811379659811&set=vb.114541565320128&type=3&theater (video)

To keep it low budget, I used a 10ft 1 1/2 in PVC and cut off the top two feet to make it easier for me to reach the top.  The base was 10ft of 1/2" grey PVC since it bends easily.  I drilled very small holes and used small screw hooks at the top of the tree - (8).  I purchased really thin cable from Campbells supply and 16 cable clamps.    I made eight small loops for the top and put them over the hooks.  On the base, I had measured and marked the grey pvc to drill holes for the cable.  I put the cable thru the holes and  connected them with the clamps.  I put a green metal fence post (5ft) in the ground and place the tree on that for stability.  Our strongest blizzards never made it lean.  Then its just a matter of stringing the lights - eight strings - eight channels of spiral.  I don't have much money or time and need things portable.