Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Thorrocks

The Polar Express

Wow! We really have to talk! Last year our Home Depot had a similar setup in the store and I took a pic of it for future plans, seeing as how I love The Polar Express and really wanted to add it in to the display one year. Seeing yours has set a new burning desire all over. Check this pic and compare to your own creation. Pretty small world.

that is awesome - the polar express is one of my favourite movies of all time, I am incredibly jealous of this - would love to see it up close and personal!

you've done an amazing job with it :D

(jjust realised you can even see my tag displaying an artist image of a scene from poalr express!)

Edited by Symphony

Thats really really WEIRD.....Where in the world is that Home Depot?!!!!!!!

Well today i got to install the display in its location for the season!!!....

Any suggestions?

post-13930-0-91146200-1350524793_thumb.j

Actually... I think it would probably be a LOT safer in MY yard!!! And being the good PC'er that I am... I volunteer to keep it safe for you in my front yard until after Christmas is over with. :P

It looks absolutely INCREDIBLE! So very nicely done!!!

I thought that you were going to keep it in the garage. When it's set back it gave the impression that it was coming out of the tunnel and into a mountain pass cut. You could use painter's drop cloths to cover the sides of your garage for privacy and it would add to the appearance. Having it set back would also prevent kids from wanting to climb on it. Close the garage door and you're done for the night.

My garage is a working one, not to mention we have about 6 people living in the house so our driveway is always full....However 2 years ago my father invested in a 24 hour surveillance system for me...along with the fact that we're in one of the safest towns in the state..Im not worried to much about vandals

Guest Scot Meyers

OH MY!!!_(INSERT WORDS HERE)__________ Because i cannot find the words to discribe this.. all i can say is that you are now officially part of my DIY CLUB. because i have NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!!

Conrgatulations On an AMAZING new addition to your display.....

Thanks Scot, it really is my pride and joy for this season!!! However.....this hurricane has me very uneasy about it right now....It is still in the yard....But its tied down very very well...I dont believe its going anywhere

Wait, you say the hurricane is coming your way and you still have this thing out in the yard? Not trying to tell you what to do, but I live in Louisiana and am very familiar with hurricanes. Get this thing inside ASAP.

Oh no, luckily for us....all we got was a little rain and some 70 mph winds.....When I build something...I make sure its solid....I even do "wind tests" with 2 leaf blowers haha...To try and simulate ...But as far as next year goes....Thats a good question....Better start thinking now!

My father and I were discussing this thread last night, and may do something similar next year, with it placed against a brick wall in our garden as though it's cutting through - thanks for the inspiration :D

this has to be one of my favorite builds i have scene on here i just love it your video is so cool do you just have a cd and a speaker playing for the sound effects how did you do that part of it it is great thanks for posting

Yes, I've got an outdoor speaker mounted right under the boiler area that loops a 5 min audio spiel that I spliced together from the movie! If anyone wants that audio I'll gladly send it to you!!

Also for this year, the engine will move...I've cut the black opening of the tunnel out and put the engine on a track...It'll move in and out on a timer

Yes, I've got an outdoor speaker mounted right under the boiler area that loops a 5 min audio spiel that I spliced together from the movie! If anyone wants that audio I'll gladly send it to you!!

Also for this year, the engine will move...I've cut the black opening of the tunnel out and put the engine on a track...It'll move in and out on a timer

You have a great talent for this hobby.  Excellent work!

Very, very, impressive!  Thanks for sharing that with all of us. Keep up the good work.