Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Lights on Light Street Ct

Lighted Pole Questions A Few Hopefully Easy

ok i am making 16" pieces of PVC Sleeves of lights -

what is the recomended height and (LOR)Channel's on a Pole, saying that Each 16" Piece is a channel with alot of the Video's the poles go so fast i cannot seem to figure out how many channels are in each pole,

Has anyone made a Spiral Pole almost like the spiral tree, i not a Barber's Pole but like one i guess.

i am planning on my First Year of LOr being 2012 with 4 LOr's (And yes i am already starting to make things for next year and for other holidays as well, untill i can afford the LOr's and the Programing part so i can atleast touch the sequencing and such but until i do get them Hopefully FEB, i can make Elements for my Lioght Show for the Different Holidays.

I don't really fully understand your question/objective - it's not worded particularly well. But if you're asking how many channels go up a pole, I use 16 channels vertically on an 18 foot pole. (My light up pole sits 2' above the ground on cinder blocks, so it reaches the top of the 20' tree.)

I think you know my answer to my 5 channel polls ;) This is nearly the same question as the 4,6,5,7... 8 segment thread in that you want height vs recommended channels, yes? IMHO it's all preference vs cost of channels. More channels allow the illusion of more smooth segments, but more channels = more $$$$

As far as a spiral poll, I imagine I might use as big a piece of PVC ( 6" would work) as I could find. II don't know that you could use sleeves for that. If you start with, I don't know, 4 channels/strings at the base for each color then wrap each one so that they stay separate, you could create the effect of a "drill bit" / barber's poll.

Honestly that's an interesting idea. Potentially you could make 1 poll with 4 colors. Make super strings and attach them at the base then wrap the polls with the separate super strings? Make sense. You'd then use 16 channels per poll with 4 colors... Or just use 4 channels/1 color. It also might make sense to use rope light vs mini lights due to light spacing. The mini-light spacing between lights may be too far. It's a good little project to try out. Hope this helps you out bro.

ok just so it is known i posted this back in DEcember before i started learning more and learned how to make the mega strings and before i figured out how to do the spiral trees and how to make mega stringed spiral poles with sleeves - i take my mega string sleeves as normal say i am making a 6 foot pole so 5 channel's of sleeved mega string and then add two sets of mega string and wrapp from the bottom to the top and back again spacing each color so that one pole will now have total if i wanted 28 channel's 5 Per color shooting pole - =20 then 2 per color =8 for spiral effect - Becouse it will be somewhat thin already trialed it 2" pvc pipe can evenly space 8 wires so on the bottom for the spiral will be red / blue / green / white / red / blue / green / white - it goes up in a spiral and comes back down - with a little bit extra - whoich ill proberly modify when the time comes as for how it will sequence well i got nop clue as to it yet i only know how it will look if i plug in - plug out method

i tried rope light IFm i did a Barber pole all by it self yes i would use rope light but considering i am sortta mixing two different concepts together it looks better (at Night) becouse the way it looks to me is if i do a shooting pole effect with the spiral it will look like they work together wont know till i get LOr installed even better to my door step :) and having sleeves i can wrapp the spiral effect arpound them as well adding some more dimensions just wont tightly wrapp around sleeves as it spirals up and back down so the effect will look like there is 4 of each color the way it will go up and come back will sortta mirror itself almost like taking TWO identical lines connecting it on the top and then twisting the two the same at the same time never coming in contact with each other makes it look like ther eisa more there