Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
NarJar

Viewed Some Displays In Stl Tonight!

My wife and I live approximately an hour south of St. Louis. Tonight, her friend had an ugly sweater, Christmas party in St. Louis. She didn't want to drive herself, or have to drive home late at night, so I got to be a chauffeur.

Regardless, I made sure I looked up the St. Louis map posted up, and chose locations closest to our path home. We ended up trying to visit 3 displays (2 of which we got to watch, and 1 of which we couldn't find, or at least didn't see any lights up, or may have arrived too late).

First, we got to see Bob O's display in Des Peres. I recognized the display immediately upon pulling up the road, as I saw it on the news last year. You can log-on to a website and vote for songs. Very neat display, great lights (I think they're pixels?), and very cool!

Second, we got to see the tail end of Andrew's display in Fenton. I enjoyed the arches, the snow-man cut-out and the mega surrounded by minis.

Both displays were fun, and it was great to see other animated display actually in person! Anybody else been out to see area displays? Any that you think were above and beyond, and are a "must-see" for any and all?

Edited by NarJar

So far, I've seen Jeff Graham's, Rick and Judy's, Jonathan's, Don Leath's, and Natasha's in Ladue. All of them were great as usual. If you have not seen Natasha's off Ladue, that would be my definition of "above and beyond" as you put it. Also, while I have not been there personally yet this season, Jason up in Godfrey has several houses linked and made the news. Geoff in Rock Hill also links up multiple houses plus he has a really cool garden train running if the weather is nice.

I definitely plan to hit some more this week.

Thanks for the response Scott!

Well, I didn't want to "point fingers", but with your response, I will go ahead. The display we couldn't find was Natasha's in Ladue. We got off 270, and turned off of Ladue, and the numbers just kept getting higher and higher than what we were looking for. The only thing we could figure was that it was one of the houses on the corner immediately upon turning onto the street. We were there about 10:35'ish, maybe a few minutes later. We saw a few houses here and there with lights, but only maybe 1 or 2 strands.

With you stating it was "above and beyond", we must have got there too late, or just didn't drive far enough down the road.

Do you happen to know what times it runs, or how far down the road it is once you turn off of Ladue?

Edited by NarJar

I'm guessing they're about a mile and a half west of 270. Hard for me to say for sure because I always come from the west. You probably just missed it at 10:35, I'm guessing they shut down by 10:30 to keep the neighbors happy.

You're right about it being on the corner and you can't miss it when lit because there are over 100,000 lights in the front, back, and sides of the property. Hope you get the chance to make it back up this way. Lots of great displays to see!

I figured it out! My GPS didn't know how to get there. We turned off of 270, and we literally turned on almost the first street before cresting the hill. I headed back last night after I got off work on my way home, and made sure to drive further down Ladue. You were right, I couldn't miss it. Very over the top, and very fun (especially with the lights all the way over the street!

Thanks for the info and help Scott!

I would inquire about adding my display to the map, but I think Bonne Terre is a little too far south.

hey scott, is that you on wil 92.3 's website??? i guess if it is we are going to have to meet up and have dinner together over at the way of lights with our families...