Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
JeffRo

Prepping For This Season

Hey all,

I'm taking advantage of our weather this Labor Day weekend to make a slug of improvements to my decorations and lights for the upcoming season. After several years of getting the most of my decorations, many of them (and their support structures) have really started to show their use. So, lots of things getting an upgrade this year.

It's 82 days until the lights go on in Green Lake. Good luck to everyone this year!

The hot weather finally broke around here. I plan to spend my next 5 day weekend off trying to get all the dead limbs and undergrowth cleaned up and hauled off. I have about 6 sets of gingerbread patterns to get cut out so Kathy can start painting them to display at school for Christmas. With our 2 yr. old granddaughter and her parnents living here right now, every time Kathy tries to paint, she wants to "help". LOL. So i need to get everything cut out earlier this year so she can paint after bedtime. My grandson was really excited last week about getting the Halloween stuff out. I think he is looking forward to do some "decorating" at school and scaring his sister. I have about 25-30 foam tombstones from Lowe's last year. Thinking about cutting either 1/4 or 3/8 plywood backer boards and glueing them on the back to make it easier to stand them up with EMT pipe and clamps. The little plastic tees that come with them did not work too well and when I used 1/4 inch rods, they would cometimes poke holes out of the front or back of the tombstones. Probably have enough skeletons to go with them, but a few more never hurt.

Speaking of prepping for the season, it's now less than 60 days until the lights go on at our place and I'm behind schedule. Not unrecoverable-have-to-move-the-start-date behind, but behind nonetheless.

And to think that I started at the beginning of August.

Speaking of prepping for the season, it's now less than 60 days until the lights go on at our place and I'm behind schedule. Not unrecoverable-have-to-move-the-start-date behind, but behind nonetheless.

And to think that I started at the beginning of August.

I'm sorry you're a slacker.

The bigger question....Is it truly ever an option to no be behind? I think if your ahead you must have forgotten something.

The bigger question....Is it truly ever an option to no be behind? I think if your ahead you must have forgotten something.

I believe that is the crux of it. I really like to stick to my plan, not so much for the dates, as to just stick with the plan and not go off in different directions with new ideas (of which I seem to have an infinite supply.)

It's only 41 days to launch! The next few weeks are critical. Not sure if this is stress or excitement.

I... hate to sai this but i left one sting up all year lol. around a window that was behind a tree... no one know. But i haven't started yet ether.

I never think about whether I am behind or not. My next door neighbor is my watchdog and reminds me constantly where I am at in my schedule :)

Seriously though, changes are not bad, and sometimes a plan needs to be tweaked to ehance the display. Experience helps here, but definitely no MAJOR changes happen for me once Set Up commences. Up till then, anything is possible.

i drove home from work the other night and saw that the city had already put up snowflakes from lampposts!! Now i know i've got to get going! Ive got the night off so just maybe I'll get some boxes out of the attic......

Everything is for the most part staged in the garage and started going out today. Biggest issue I am having is getting the sequencing done. Even with modifying other people sequences, I am still way behind. Oh well, if I wasn't doing this I would just be parked on the couch watching the idiot box. :)

On schedule !!!!!! got the 6 - ccr arches built (11 foot by 6 foot high)---revamped big star on roof---man lift reserved for weekend of Nov 18(hope it does not rain)--- new star for tree---- made pully system to pull lights and the 50 new strobes up to top of tree(no more dumping $$$$ on a man lift every year) an going to leave the 6 channel star up in tree year round (like a redneck house with lights year around) ha ha--- got a better transmitter ---behind on sequencing the CCRs for 20 or so songs with the new "superstar software" I plan for Dec 1 to be up and running THIS YEARS DISPLAY WILL BE AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!! were going to TSO concert in Seattle on the 26 should be a good show :)

My first stuff actually goes up tomorrow, weather permitting (calling for rain off/on).

One song left to sequence.

Mega tree light strands to test for bad bulbs.

Firmware updates on LOR controllers.

Cut the grass (need to look sharp.)

Test the whole dang thing.

Dmagelssn that sounds awesome cant wait to see it!!!!!!!!! JeffRo weather permitting I know right! i did get rope lights up around my garage doors the other night. I've got to cut the grass too.. first thing on my list.. when every i get some dry weather for a min. still got to call the the local utility provider for marking under ground things before i drive in some huge rebars to mount the 31foot mast- mega tree. Don't even talk about sequencing... I do it after I get everything up and working. Fixing lights and things is in there too at some time lol. ok off to bed so i can start when I wake

Cant wait to see everyone's lights this year!

On schedule !!!!!! got the 6 - ccr arches built (11 foot by 6 foot high)---revamped big star on roof---man lift reserved for weekend of Nov 18(hope it does not rain)--- new star for tree---- made pully system to pull lights and the 50 new strobes up to top of tree(no more dumping $$$$ on a man lift every year) an going to leave the 6 channel star up in tree year round (like a redneck house with lights year around) ha ha--- got a better transmitter ---behind on sequencing the CCRs for 20 or so songs with the new "superstar software" I plan for Dec 1 to be up and running THIS YEARS DISPLAY WILL BE AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!! were going to TSO concert in Seattle on the 26 should be a good show :)

I'm sorry, why don't you "open" on Thanksgiving? It sounds like you're on top of the set up

Dmagelssen I saw you had the man lift up this afternoon!!! that thing was huge!! looked like a blue spider climbing the tree! Its 27 degrees out!! i'm hoping to get some lights up tomorrow afternoon myself. Hows everyone else going?

Hey Washington friends; It's good to see some display setup progress.

The Oregon message board was too quiet so I eves dropped on you guys.

-Darin

Well I took advantage of a beautiful weekend and I have my display up. I have 3 extension cords to pick up. Everything is tested. My car was in the shop so I haven't run to the store to by the 3 new cords yet. I will pick them up tomorrow.

I will be starting my display on Friday after Thanksgiving. Added 2 leaping arches and 10 candy cane lights this year.

Don, I also saw the man lift there Friday on my way home. I can't wait to see your new CCR's in action.

Deeny, I will find your place this year. I plan to go scout it out in the daylight. :-)

Cheers, Everyone

Lee

Putting the finishing touches on the display today. Driving rain, gusts around 20-30 mph. Guess I need to schedule having the display completed by Labor Day next year.

Well, I am up and running. I started the show tonight @ 5:30 without a hitch. I did a lot of last minute tweaks and tunes, so I was surprised is went that well. Now I just have to keep it from getting to wet.

How is everyone else doing? I see we have a map for the this year. I better go over to that thread and post my info.

Lee

We started tonight just after 5:00. Had a minor hiccup with a source audio file -- something weird with Windows -- but when that was resolved, the show went off without a hitch.

We're hosting an open house, so we've had a lot of friends stop by and enjoy lights and a fire outside. With the break in wet weather, tonight couldn't have worked out better.