Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
mira

Slam

Chuck and I just talked to Bob-O. SLAM will be in September this year at the farm. More information to follow. If you are interested let us know. If you want to help or have suggestions please let us know.

Chuck and I just talked to Bob-O. SLAM will be in September this year at the farm. More information to follow. If you are interested let us know.

Mira, I haven't been able to make it to the last 2 SLAMs, but will keep trying. Any idea when in September?

Mira,

What all do you guys do at slam? Just curious have been synching my lights for the last couple years and am always looking for new ideas from people.

Chris

Hi,

I am a first-timer (in Rolla). I am interested in the SLAM when more information becomes available.

Thanks,

Lori

Hi,

I am a first-timer (in Rolla). I am interested in the SLAM when more information becomes available.

Thanks,

Lori

last year we saw the moby meep, which is controllable with a smart phone cpable of telling your show what to play next or delete it all together, gives your crowd control of your show, it was neat but not for me, also there was a great vendor there, valerie from christmas-leds.com, she gave big discounts on lights and stuff, also there was quite a few lor users there, myself i am a animated lighting guy, there was one other animated lighting guy there as well , there was zack from kansas which showed off the lor cosmic color ribbon, and chuck and mira showed off there version of mega tree, which was great, lots of stuff to get ideas from, if you have something you are good at doing and wouldn't mind demo-ing it get ahold of mira she would probably be glad to get someone else to demo something,, last year it was near six flags in eureka very nice cabin bob-o has that donated the site for slam... hope this helps out some ideas for the new people deciding to come out to slam...

I haven't spoke with Mira but I am guessing she is lurking around in the forums and could give a little more insight to when in September as far as I know no date has been officially set on September

i don't know what is going on , i figured mira or chuck, or even bob-o would be able to enlighten us on a date, but september is starting tomorrow, so i am guessing if it is going to happen it will be a last minute notice,...,. everyday life happens so i hope all is well with chuck and mira, and bob-o

Here is the scoop. First let me apologize for not responding sooner. I have not been hanging out on PC much and Mira just brought this to my attention. When Bob, Mira and I talked in the spring about having Slam. The decision was to wait till fall to be able to have some of the new wares from LOR available. As many of you know, LOR has had problems getting items in, due to partly the redesign of the controllers and the new items. If the items are not available for sale then how could any of us purchase and have them at SLAM. With it being this late in the year. I question is it to late? Are we too close to setup and crunch time?

chuck, i myself think that it really doesnt matter of the cuting edge lor stuff coming out or not, i personally do not use anything lor, but that is just me, there are alot more new faces popping up in our area, and i think they could use all the help they can get, by picking our brains on how to do things, myself i enjoyed your take of a mega tree, very detailed, and a whole new take on things, being a hands on type of person, meaning seeing is believeing, or seeing it done , means i can do it myself as well, alot of people are just new getting in to the hobby and would just like a little insight, and a little info on what, and how to get started... i would still be down for whenever, i got to go to indy's mini as well as light up ohio this year, and met and mingled with alot of old friends and new friends, it is not 100% all about the display, but most people already are working on or have already completed their elements of their display maybe they just want to interact with other christmas crazies like us... let me know if there is anything i can do,,, i would be happy to make it there again, you all were great hosts last year.. and look at the turnout we had considering the heat and all...

Edited by jason101

I think that it is getting to late in this year to really incorp anything new from LOR for many. As Jason pointed out. There are some new faces such as Lori and maybe a few others I have not seen. Anyway, if SLAM is going to be anything other than a social gathering. Then I say sooner than later for the gathering. Although it might be mute for my comments. I might find myself tied up on the weekend you schedule the meet.

Not to be taken as a dig at LOR, but I think any new products that they sell from this point out is going to be a no deal for this year.

Hi!

I talked this over with BobO and he told me to go for it!

As you know, there has not been a St. Louis Area Mini (SLAM) yet this year. As a newbie I was looking forward to meeting the near-by fellow LORers and learning from their collective experience.

I know it is late, but who would be interested in attending a SLAM in the St. Louis area Saturday Nov 12? If there is enough interest, I'll start organizing!

The plan would be to have a casual meeting where like minded people can share, learn, and enjoy our passion. Come and see what others have created and bring your favorite item to show and tell if you would like.

I’d appreciate a reply by Saturday October 1st. Just shoot me a line letting me know your level of interest (yes/no/maybe).

I’d love to meet you and hear about your display!

Lori Phillips

Sounds interesting Lori, Dont know what you all have in mind and what kind of place (inside or outside) or room we will have to set anything up. At a minimum I will bring my laptop and show how I do things and others hopefully will bring their laptops if they use them for programming and show us how they do things. Shoot, I know that last year I picked up on a few things that BobO does on his that made programming easier to do on mine. Like using the sloped solids in the timing grid to show fading. I was still in default that showed fading as dithered blocks that the whole block faded. Same for intensity. So count me in.