Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
PCguy

is there a cheap. PC controlled system? 8 channels would be fine with me

Like Ernie said, if I were you I would go over to DIYC and check out the Renard SS line of controllers. There are 8, 16, and 24 channels in the SS line, all of them work together and they work really good with Vixen (the sequencing software).

If you need help finding a controller, just let me know and I can see if I can track on down for you. They are pretty cheap, I got a 24 channel controller for about $60, and it can dim and do all kinds of things just like any other controller.

hi i would like one for that price is it fully ready to go email back rubio2realty@yahoo.com

yeah I underastand but still I bet I could buy the stuff to put one together $50 seems a fair price for everyhting to built a 8 channel right? maybe even a 16 if got good deal. I bet someone would built it for me for another $50 maybe? i mean the ones selling are around 50-80 depends from what I have seen the cheapest LOR is $255... maybe that's with everything but I can get cords and a box and all that stuff for it on my own.

just saying.. and I already know I can not solder worth a crap

anyone know what size copper is used in the boards? asked my father how hard it was to do he said depend's on it got good heavy duty copper or cheap stuff

You will find that the boards are quite easy to build/solder and the build instructions are very clear. You would not be the first to say they think it's too complicated/hard to build these yet 99% of the time things go without a hitch. There are many variations of the Renard boards as well with different channel counts, AC or DC control and wireless as well. A decent soldering iron and small diameter 60/40 or 63/37 leaded solder will get you good results.

I had never soldered in my life. Never even used a multimeter before. Didn't know a resister from a transistor, etc. Point is, a TOTAL newbie. With that said, I built two 24-channel renard boards without problem. DIYC site has very specific wiki documentation and very supportive forums. Just gotta jump in!

If you don't mind soldering then you might want to check out the do it yourself site. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com

You can create a simple controller yourself or use one of the designs created by some of the residents. You can etch your own board or buy one the professionally made ones. Typically they're around $10. You can then place an order with Mouser electronics for the parts. They're simple to assemble and if you have any problems there is alway someone on the site willing to help.

There are controllers from the very simple to complex.

Oh... and the light control software is free!

Is the do it yourself christmas site down? It show error 404. Is the site shut down? Thanks!

Hi All.

I guess i will be the Honest one here. I have been doing Shows for about 8 years now. Started out with the Gemmy holiday 16 channel. which is really only 8 channels they fool you and say control up to 16 devices but its only 8 channels it was just plain awful sold it after the first year. YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! Now that is said. I bought a lor saved some money and bought another and now iam up to 4 16 channel controllers I bought them partly put together and finished them my self.

My advice to you is buy one controller for this year and if you like it then save and buy another or keep watching the forums and find a used one. If this hobby is not for you then you wont have any problem selling it. My advice is if you cant afford this hobby and go LOR or animated lighting then mabe you should just stay static and go watch other peoples animated displays. Iam sorry if this sounds heartless but it is the truth and the people will bend over backwards and try to help you if you are trying to help your self. No soldering is required. You get everything you need to build a 30 amp computerized Light Controller housed in a weather resistant plastic enclosure. With a few hand tools you can put together this 16 channel controller.

Compared with our ShowTime products, this is a lighter duty controller with less bells and whistles but it has the same lighting effects as the ShowTime units. All LOR controllers are compatible so you can add this controller into any LOR setup. PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE.jpg

This is a Third Generation (GEN3) Light-O-Rama Controller. It is designed to be used with all Christmas Lights including LEDs.

Comes as pictured above. Controller card with Heavy duty heatsinks is pre-installed in the enclosure. You assemble the strain relief, clamp the wires in place, screw the strain relief to the enclosure and plug the wires into the card. In an hour (actual time may vary) you will have a 30 amp, 16 channel light controller.

Software is not included. The Generic Starter Package includes the adapter cables and software required to use this controller.

Availability: This year we have experienced serious supplier delays. However, we are now receiving a steady supply of the CTB16PC-GEN3 controller cards that are used to build the this controller. We know that the demand from our customers will outstrip our ability to provide immediate delivery of this product.

Please be advised that it may be many weeks before we can deliver. (orders placed early will be delivered fairly quickly)

Regular Price $215.95 ( Introductory price $205.95 )

Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 weeks

Card Assembled (Complete Package)

PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETEtrans_1x1.gif$205.95trans_1x1.gif

Don In Kenner-LA

Edited by Don In Kenner-LA

Hi All.

I guess i will be the Honest one here. I have been doing Shows for about 8 years now. Started out with the Gemmy holiday 16 channel. which is really only 8 channels they fool you and say control up to 16 devices but its only 8 channels it was just plain awful sold it after the first year. YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! Now that is said. I bought a lor saved some money and bought another and now iam up to 4 16 channel controllers I bought them partly put together and finished them my self.

My advice to you is buy one controller for this year and if you like it then save and buy another or keep watching the forums and find a used one. If this hobby is not for you then you wont have any problem selling it. My advice is if you cant afford this hobby and go LOR or animated lighting then mabe you should just stay static and go watch other peoples animated displays. Iam sorry if this sounds heartless but it is the truth and the people will bend over backwards and try to help you if you are trying to help your self. No soldering is required. You get everything you need to build a 30 amp computerized Light Controller housed in a weather resistant plastic enclosure. With a few hand tools you can put together this 16 channel controller.

Compared with our ShowTime products, this is a lighter duty controller with less bells and whistles but it has the same lighting effects as the ShowTime units. All LOR controllers are compatible so you can add this controller into any LOR setup. PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE.jpg

This is a Third Generation (GEN3) Light-O-Rama Controller. It is designed to be used with all Christmas Lights including LEDs.

Comes as pictured above. Controller card with Heavy duty heatsinks is pre-installed in the enclosure. You assemble the strain relief, clamp the wires in place, screw the strain relief to the enclosure and plug the wires into the card. In an hour (actual time may vary) you will have a 30 amp, 16 channel light controller.

Software is not included. The Generic Starter Package includes the adapter cables and software required to use this controller.

Availability: This year we have experienced serious supplier delays. However, we are now receiving a steady supply of the CTB16PC-GEN3 controller cards that are used to build the this controller. We know that the demand from our customers will outstrip our ability to provide immediate delivery of this product.

Please be advised that it may be many weeks before we can deliver. (orders placed early will be delivered fairly quickly)

Regular Price $215.95 ( Introductory price $205.95 )

Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 weeks

Card Assembled (Complete Package)

PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETEtrans_1x1.gif$205.95trans_1x1.gif

Don In Kenner-LA

I am as proberly the NEWEst person here with lights yea i was a static show with NO kind of controller other than taking old 16 funtion boxes and cutting it up and attaching 16 different lines and well it worked but it was halloween fun and i did not own my home. NOw i own my Home and i can pretty much build anything electronically if it comes with instructions i looked into diy controllers and only way to actually save money is to buy in bulk and make many items of the same thing for some that great . after alot of reading and i do mean alot of reading, i will be once i save enough money LOR 16 channel beginers package i also need software and the converter and the other stuff, maybe LOr can sell a package with everything not already asembled save what 50 or so dollars wiring the plugs myself , would be the same if i got the 40 channel controller from (Forgot) but the 40 channel one doesn't have set software and im told its software is more complicated than LOR's So the way i see it my Christmas Display will be a static/twinkling display for this year but with all my items made by me and made LOR ready

So far i got a Display that will take 48 channels and none of those channel are the outline of my house - 6 channel arch 6 channel fan 6 channel shooting cross 5x 5foot trees a talking Frosty narrator so far 9 channels on his might reduce to 8 and working on 2x 5 channel 4foot by 4 foot star and also working on a 6 channel 8foot Pole (something like a tree lights running the entire lenght but candy cane style, but i got 10 Solar sets each with 200 lights currently used as roof liner and wreath which will proberly change my other lights are charging the solars and thus turning them off at times

Hi all

Yes LOR does sell a complete package you can get the controller I pasted on here and basic software for 32 channels. And if you need any help I have lots of 16 and 32 channel sequences that will get you up and running. One thing I found out about this forum is the people on here are great and will do almost anything to help you out. All you have to do is ask and show you also want to help your self. I was a complete newbie just a few years ago and I still have some problems now and then and they are always their with there advice to help. But they are not going to come to my house and set up my display and do my sequences for me. The funest part of this hobbie is building your own display and sequencing and after its all done you can watch and say I did that and be proud. You look on the internet and you watch the videos of the Webbers and Holdmans and others but not every one can make a display like that. Iam proud of mine because it is mine and any newbie out there will be just as proud. The hardest part is taking that first step. It is a expensive hobbie I hear about the price of the controllers , thats really the cheap part look at the price of extention cords and lights. My advice is start small and add every year.

Don In Kenner-la