Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
rollsharley

Doing Battle With The Furry Vandels!

I would like to find any or all suggestions from the PC members on how to stop the Tree Rats.....

Er...

Oops, Squirrels... from eating through my lighting. They are showing no preference in wire color as some have said on here. Chomping through White, Green and even Clear light strings!

They have distroyed lines 3 times this week alone and I am soon wishing to wage war against the little 4 legged Scrooges!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38341[/ATTACH]

Live trap them; paint them orange so you'll know if you are taking them far enough away. If you start to catch ones with orange paint, you'll know you have to drive further! There is also the pellet gun / .22 option, but it is kind of late here for BBQ.

Put some ammonia in a spray bottle and spritz your cords and the area around them every once in a while. My mother used to do this to keep critters out of her garden and flowers. Worked like a charm and it works for me too. The one year I didn't start out doing it I got a lot of cords chomped up and it stopped when I started spraying.

A 5 gallon bucket filled halfway with water...The surface of the water completely covered with whole sunflower seeds... A board from the top edge of the bucket to the ground ,to act as a ramp, and a pair of old barbecue tongs to pluck out the dead tree rats. Problem solved!!

How about providing food for the away from the house, like the far end of the back yard? Lots of piles of nuts at the bottom of each tree or pole, that should keep them busy and away from your house, since they wouldn't have any reason to go to your house to eat wires any more....well, that is unless they prefere "wire" then leave them a pile of wires instead of a pile of nuts.

Thanks for the ideas!

Darlene, Feeding them is not the problem for sure! My place is an active Nut Grove with over 35 acres of fruit and nut trees.

Yes army surplus land mines with hair triggers is more of a constant thought as Christmas approaches. Or Possibly a nice used catapult as a 'relocating device'?

I think I may have a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of bright orange paint around! I'm off to buy Sunflower Seeds and ammonia!

War Over!

They Win!...

Today I walked outside to find another 5 lines chewed through. I am not able to keep repairing and splicing everyday as they simply return fire.

I'm disabled and on a fixed income as it is, I would have loved to have a nice display for my little boy who loves looking at the lights. But I just never saw something like this coming.

Time to scale back drastically on what lights do go up.

How about providing food for the away from the house, like the far end of the back yard? Lots of piles of nuts at the bottom of each tree or pole, that should keep them busy and away from your house, since they wouldn't have any reason to go to your house to eat wires any more....well, that is unless they prefere "wire" then leave them a pile of wires instead of a pile of nuts.

That's an interesting idea. My neighbor used to feed the deer here. Until the 500 lbs per week became too expensive. After he quit feeding them, we started having trouble with the deer eating hosta and other plants. Could be you're on to something.

The tree-rats get into our feed for our chickens and other animals. It's been a lot better since the corn field next door was turned over into a cow pasture. The furry-tailed varmits have moved a little farther away but we still have a few. I find that shooting 3 or 4 of them when they start getting into the feed eliminates enough of the population to keep the damage to a minimum. They have not taken to chewing any wires, not like our dogs do.

I imagine we do have similar problems since we have huge oaks and hickories around our house and this year is a banner year for nut production. You almost need a hard hat when working outside. Right now there are far more nuts than squirrels gathering them. Of course the little buggers plant them in my track bed so the next spring I have TREES growing from the ballast. I think the trees are expecting a wetter, perhaps snowier, winter. The squirrels seem to be busy hiding these nuts instead of eating them so they might be expecting winter too.

We also have rats and mice which find the chicken feed to be delightful. They have been able to tunnel down 6 feet or more UNDER the house foundation and had taken up residence in the crawlspace below which has a great deal of ambient heat from the hot water heating system leaking heat into the space - well - the pipes will NOT freeze under there now. I put out a bunch of rat poison and it will dissappear over time until soon, I have some pieces left there for months at a time. Then later, those too will be eaten as the next generation moves in to die. I just had to restock it for the first time in a year. I would not poison outside the house as other animals might get into it and I do not believe in just killing animals "just because I can." I only destroy those which have grown in population enough to be destructive. But our dogs are far more destructive so they get to spend their time in the dog lot. Even then, they managed to pull an electrical cord through the fence and destroy it completely. Yeah. I wish I could shoot them too and I am tempted some days but I just hope that they will stop being "puppies" and get more mellow in time.

Good luck. Sorry the varmits caused the problems. Perhaps the owner of the nuts and fruit trees could come up with a solution - or replacements - for the wires.

By adding more food, you also improve you chances of more squirels joining in on the feast. When it is all gone, then you have even more to deal with. Look around and see what other food sources are in your neighborhood. If you can find them and remove them, the little buggers will need to move to find more to eat. Live traps are a great option. They aren't very expensive and easy to use. Moving the squirels at least 20 miles and across a river if possible should prevent them from returning. If you pack it up this year and do all you can to get rid of the little buggers, maybe next year will be a go. Good luck!

The tree-rats get into our feed for our chickens and other animals. It's been a lot better since the corn field next door was turned over into a cow pasture. The furry-tailed varmits have moved a little farther away but we still have a few. I find that shooting 3 or 4 of them when they start getting into the feed eliminates enough of the population to keep the damage to a minimum. They have not taken to chewing any wires, not like our dogs do.

I imagine we do have similar problems since we have huge oaks and hickories around our house and this year is a banner year for nut production. You almost need a hard hat when working outside. Right now there are far more nuts than squirrels gathering them. Of course the little buggers plant them in my track bed so the next spring I have TREES growing from the ballast. I think the trees are expecting a wetter, perhaps snowier, winter. The squirrels seem to be busy hiding these nuts instead of eating them so they might be expecting winter too.

We also have rats and mice which find the chicken feed to be delightful. They have been able to tunnel down 6 feet or more UNDER the house foundation and had taken up residence in the crawlspace below which has a great deal of ambient heat from the hot water heating system leaking heat into the space - well - the pipes will NOT freeze under there now. I put out a bunch of rat poison and it will dissappear over time until soon, I have some pieces left there for months at a time. Then later, those too will be eaten as the next generation moves in to die. I just had to restock it for the first time in a year. I would not poison outside the house as other animals might get into it and I do not believe in just killing animals "just because I can." I only destroy those which have grown in population enough to be destructive. But our dogs are far more destructive so they get to spend their time in the dog lot. Even then, they managed to pull an electrical cord through the fence and destroy it completely. Yeah. I wish I could shoot them too and I am tempted some days but I just hope that they will stop being "puppies" and get more mellow in time.

Good luck. Sorry the varmits caused the problems. Perhaps the owner of the nuts and fruit trees could come up with a solution - or replacements - for the wires.

That's great. Man, I thought I lived in the sticks, but now I feel like a city slicker compared to you.

didnt notice at first but look throught the patio window. someone has a pair of scissors and cuts a release string. gonna try this next time we go camping.

That would be a good plan...

But Sadly that 'Owner' is ME ~sigh~

If you pack it up this year and do all you can to get rid of the little buggers, maybe next year will be a go. Good luck!

Hoping not to completely give in...

Just cutting back my larger vision of decorating most of the 'out buildings' and doing something simple on the house instead.

That's great. Man, I thought I lived in the sticks, but now I feel like a city slicker compared to you.

I REALLY do live in a Log Cabin in the mountains! The main part of the house has 1812 on the side of it (this was the year it was first 'known to exist' since homes were not built & then sold in those days) I like to describe it as [50 miles from nowhere, Take a Right, then go another 50 miles]